What to do if you are attacked by a dog

Closed Thread
Old 06-25-2017, 07:54 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts
Default What to do if you are attacked by a dog

This came to my attention. I keep hearing about dog attacks, pit bulls, especially. This former Navy Seal knows his stuff! Navy SEAL explains what to do if you're attacked by a dog - Business Insider

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 06-25-2017, 08:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,320 Times in 2,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
This came to my attention. I keep hearing about dog attacks, pit bulls, especially. This former Navy Seal knows his stuff! Navy SEAL explains what to do if you're attacked by a dog - Business Insider
Thanks for posting that. There was a very nervous dog at Doggie Doo Run Run that I had been quite worried about as it would often start barking at me at waist level whenever I tried to approach a pair of women one of whom was/is a friend of mine. A pit bull mix. He eventually calmed down and was good with me but started to get too aggressive in its play mode with dogs not part of its pack so to speak. My friend also has a pit bull mix. Sweet dog for the most part but also got more aggressive in play and my friend might have been having some personal problems which often upset the dog too. Both dogs were banned from the dog park unfortunately.

I had worried about what to do with aggressive dogs which now and them still appear at Doggie Doo Run Run. They are great owners-- Scott and Laura-- there but once in a while a new dog might not show its true colors until something sets it off.

On a funny note my dog a chihuahua/terrier mix-- Beau-- chased a boxer named Bruster and Bruster ran to me for protection and knocked me right on my can taking the breath right out of me. Had bruises for weeks but had the fortune to fall into dirt. Bruster is gone but these kind of falls from a dog running into a person are usually the cause of injuries to people at dog parks in the Villages or near them. And a heavy dog running into a 65-85 year old body often creates injuries.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
This IS an excellent post. One we should all read and take note of.

People who know me well, know I am a dog lover, although I do not own a dog. Dogs do attack people occasionally for many different reasons and I have never read an article that tells you how to protect yourself. This is very helpful to know.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:09 AM
Sage

Quote:
Since you can't run faster than a dog, is a lethal defense justified?

I did not read the link.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:23 AM

The advise is good.
Feed the ******* something if you can.
By that I mean present a target, a newspaper, book, what ever you are carrying.
While my years working for a land surveyor, I have been confronted many times.
I've been attacked four times, only bitten once.

I'm certain three out of four made it home.

The incidents were not for the squeamish.
Old 06-25-2017, 02:48 PM
Platinum member
Exclamation Vengeance

Quote:
As the Navy SEAL said, "Fight with a vengeance."

Which brings me back to advice that I have given in the past about protection from a dog attack. When you are out walking, and particularly when you are out walking your pet, carry a golf club.

In this golfing community, it looks completely appropriate, and quite casual, to be carrying a golf club, and a golf club can be a very effective weapon in fending off an attack by a dog. As the SEAL advised in the video, strike for the muzzle, and the rib cage behind the front legs.

And.....................strike with a vengeance.

Other than a K9 police dog, no dog should be permitted to believe that it is permissible to attack a human.
Old 06-25-2017, 03:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post
As the Navy SEAL said, "Fight with a vengeance."

Which brings me back to advice that I have given in the past about protection from a dog attack. When you are out walking, and particularly when you are out walking your pet, carry a golf club.

In this golfing community, it looks completely appropriate, and quite casual, to be carrying a golf club, and a golf club can be a very effective weapon in fending off an attack by a dog. As the SEAL advised in the video, strike for the muzzle, and the rib cage behind the front legs.

And.....................strike with a vengeance.

Other than a K9 police dog, no dog should be permitted to believe that it is permissible to attack a human.
I usually carry a five club myself in the late afternoon and night outings. Mostly this is to fend off coyotes or bobcats but once in a while there are loose dogs in the area. Most of these are quite harmless but better to be prepared.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 06-25-2017 at 03:19 PM.
Old 06-25-2017, 04:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Good to know; thanks for the link. I'll also be trying to stick the end of the barrel of my .380 against it.
Old 06-25-2017, 04:46 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
Good to know; thanks for the link. I'll also be trying to stick the end of the barrel of my .380 against it.
You would have better results if you stick the muzzle against it.
Old 06-25-2017, 05:46 PM

380's work great, but, who really carries here in the Villages. Maybe outside the Villages. But, most don't here.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:57 PM
Veteran member

lots of people carry a gun,and yes in the villages , remember that guy 30 shots in the front door......
Old 06-25-2017, 08:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchase View Post
380's work great, but, who really carries here in the Villages. Maybe outside the Villages. But, most don't here.
Smith and wesson currently has a 50$ rebate on its tiny 380 bodyguard, $75 on 9mm, etc.

Rebate ends June 30th, know a lot of villagers that are packing and many are taking advantage of this rebate.

There is a class, range test and a long vetting process to get concealed carry. Worth it.

Lots with criminal records and mental issues will get rejected.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:13 PM
Platinum member
Exclamation Use caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchase View Post
If you are acquainted with a retired law enforcement officer (LEO,) it is likely that he carries at all times, although he may deny it. To admit that he is carrying gives up a tactical advantage, which most experienced officers try to avoid doing.

Interestingly, a "qualified, retired law enforcement officer" does not need a state issued license to carry a concealed weapon if he meets the standards of the federal law called the Law Enforcement Officer's Safety Act (LEOSA.)

NRA Law Enforcement Division|Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act

I am aware of hundreds of retired law enforcement officers living in The Villages who maintain their "qualified" status annually. I don't think they go to that trouble to just carry outside The Villages.

I also know many retirees who qualify under the LEOSA and also obtain a state issued Concealed Weapons License.

If I am not mistaken, kcrazorbackfan is a retired LEO.

--------------------------------

To keep this post on the subject of the thread, let me mention that Florida has a law which prohibits "the malicious killing of the animal of another."

It would be unwise to shoot an attacking dog that is arguably more of an annoyance than an actual hazard of serious bodily harm. You wouldn't want to be prosecuted for shooting someone's Pomeranian.

Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	pomeranian.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	69838  
Old 06-25-2017, 09:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post
If you are acquainted with a retired law enforcement officer (LEO,) it is likely that he carries at all times, although he may deny it. To admit that he is carrying gives up a tactical advantage, which most experienced officers try to avoid doing.

Interestingly, a "qualified, retired law enforcement officer" does not need a state issued license to carry a concealed weapon if he meets the standards of the federal law called the Law Enforcement Officer's Safety Act (LEOSA.)

NRA Law Enforcement Division|Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act

I am aware of hundreds of retired law enforcement officers living in The Villages who maintain their "qualified" status annually. I don't think they go to that trouble to just carry outside The Villages.

I also know many retirees who qualify under the LEOSA and also obtain a state issued Concealed Weapons License.

If I am not mistaken, kcrazorbackfan is a retired LEO.

--------------------------------

To keep this post on the subject of the thread, let me mention that Florida has a law which prohibits "the malicious killing of the animal of another."

It would be unwise to shoot an attacking dog that is arguably more of an annoyance than an actual hazard of serious bodily harm. You wouldn't want to be prosecuted for shooting someone's Pomeranian.

Some of the retired LEOs I am around at times carry or seem to.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:21 PM
Sage

Water Rover – Don't let your best friend go thirsty

One of these is good for giving water to your dog and when full is quite a good club too if you need something hard to hit an attacking dog's head with.
Closed Thread

Tags
dog, bulls, attacks, pit, navy

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.