Your opinions on whether you would get another pet or not

Closed Thread
Old 01-10-2014, 12:09 PM
Gold member
Default Your opinions on whether you would get another pet or not

How many of you would get another pet if something happened to your current one?

My friends recently became dogless. (is that such a word?) They aren't sure if they want another pet. They were curious as to what other pet lovers think. I have friends who say they like having a companion and others say it frees them up to do what they want by not having a pet. What's your opinions?
Old 01-10-2014, 12:23 PM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills

Our Irish Setter had to be put down on December 22nd, he was 10 1/2. We also have a 4 1/2 yr old English Setter. The only way I could fill the hole in my heart was to get another puppy who will arrive January 28th, an 8 week old Gordon Setter pup by that time. Yes it ties you down, costs a lot of money to care for them, makes you responsible every day, makes travel more difficult and expensive with boarding. Eh, sounds like having kids and I would not trade either for a second. While I grieve for our Irish Setter, I know that new life is on its way. There is that saying that dogs leave paw prints on your heart. They keep you active and bring more joy to the home.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:40 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,820 Times in 3,675 Posts

Love the entertainment of a dog, but right now.........enjoying the freedom of not having to consider a dog in my scheduling.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:40 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane032657 View Post
Our Irish Setter had to be put down on December 22nd, he was 10 1/2. We also have a 4 1/2 yr old English Setter. The only way I could fill the hole in my heart was to get another puppy who will arrive January 28th, an 8 week old Gordon Setter pup by that time. Yes it ties you down, costs a lot of money to care for them, makes you responsible every day, makes travel more difficult and expensive with boarding. Eh, sounds like having kids and I would not trade either for a second. While I grieve for our Irish Setter, I know that new life is on its way. There is that saying that dogs leave paw prints on your heart. They keep you active and bring more joy to the home.
Totally agree. Years ago when we lost our chocolate lab the house was just plain empty. We adopted our beloved bailey and made our house whole again.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoGeo View Post
How many of you would get another pet if something happened to your current one?

My friends recently became dogless. (is that such a word?) They aren't sure if they want another pet. They were curious as to what other pet lovers think. I have friends who say they like having a companion and others say it frees them up to do what they want by not having a pet. What's your opinions?
We would absolutely get another rescue dog. Who else greets you at the front door wagging their tails and offering you totally unconditional love? Granted, dogs are a pain in the butt, they are time consuming, need attention, expensive, and they definitely make traveling more difficult. We always stay in La Quinta for no other reason than because they allow two dogs, any size, free.

And yet, we would never be without two dogs, a large and a small. They bring such joy and laughter to our lives. I would feel my life is incomplete without a couple of dogs running around. In the past, when one of my dogs used to pass over the rainbow bridge, I would wait a few months to get another dog, because I thought it was a respectful thing to do. Of course a new dog is never a replacement, just another valued member of the pack.

When I had Brutus euthanized in 2010 because of a brain tumor, I was immediately offered a rescue Portuguese Water Dog. We adopted Lollipop and took her into our home and our hearts. We have never regretted it for a single minute. Even though she had four homes before we adopted her, we find her an absolute joy.

Dogs light up my life.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:56 PM
Gold member

We've lost 2 dogs since we moved here but primarily why we don't get another dog is our age, 75 and 77. A dog would probably outlive us and then what?
The freedom without a dog is a plus.

John

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"
Old 01-10-2014, 02:18 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
We would absolutely get another rescue dog. Who else greets you at the front door wagging their tails and offering you totally unconditional love? Granted, dogs are a pain in the butt, they are time consuming, need attention, expensive, and they definitely make traveling more difficult. We always stay in La Quinta for no other reason than because they allow two dogs, any size, free.

And yet, we would never be without two dogs, a large and a small. They bring such joy and laughter to our lives. I would feel my life is incomplete without a couple of dogs running around. In the past, when one of my dogs used to pass over the rainbow bridge, I would wait a few months to get another dog, because I thought it was a respectful thing to do. Of course a new dog is never a replacement, just another valued member of the pack.

When I had Brutus euthanized in 2010 because of a brain tumor, I was immediately offered a rescue Portuguese Water Dog. We adopted Lollipop and took her into our home and our hearts. We have never regretted it for a single minute. Even though she had four homes before we adopted her, we find her an absolute joy.

Dogs light up my life.
Bare, I totally agree with you. I can't picture a moment of my life without a dog. I have had multiple dogs and had my heart broken multiple times and can not ever imagine a time without a dog to share my life. I have a dear friend who lost her dogs and won't get another dog and she talks about them every day. I respect that, but I don't understand it. She talks about how lonely she his without them, she is retired, doesn't travel, but just won't open her heart again for fear of losing a dog again, which we know will happen eventually. I would rather have the pain of loss than never have the joy of all those moments of love and happiness. For me, if I felt that way, I would never take a chance on ANY relationships. My canine relationships fulfill me on so many levels, that without them I would be empty.
My dogs and I have done therapy visits in nursing homes and when we visit dog lovers they light up with such joy and tell me how painful it is to be dogless. I feel their sorrow and could never go there unless, like them, life forced me to be without them. My life choices have always included them.
As far as becoming older and not wanting to have a dog, no disrespect meant to those who make this choice, but I would not choose a puppy when I reached a certain age, but I might choose an older rescue dog or rehomed show dog at that point. Older dogs are easy to care for, need homes and are harder to place than young dogs and make wonderful, grateful companions. And the rescue group will rehome them should you have a reason that they need it like if you should pass on before them or become disabled and can no longer care for them.
So as far as the OPs question. Yes, yes, yes. I will always have a pet and can not picture happiness without one.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:26 PM
Platinum member

yep, I would always want a dog. When we had to euthanize a dog due to renal failure, I thought I would wait awhile to get another. Then I broke my foot and was home so just started "looking" thru the rescue sites. I found one who's story was just so pathetic I had to ask about him, then just went to meet him....as they say the rest is history. Gambit is quite the character. When I got him, the rescue had easily 10 other dogs that I would take if I could. There are just too many wonderful dogs that need homes....I will always provide one. Yes, it's a pain scheduling things but they are such a comfort. As I get older, I, will get rescues that are older....there are so many older rescues, too.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:36 PM
Platinum member

I will ALWAYS have a fur baby (or two) in my home as long as I am able. They love us unconditionally and add so much. One of mine is fast asleep right now with her head on my foot.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

We lost our beloved yellow Lab 1 1/2 years ago it has been 18 months of emptiness.
A Labradors loyalty and devotion has no boundaries
We though about it from time to time and at this point in our lives were a little old to start over with a puppy.
Now the good news our rescue Lab is on his way to a foster home and we are going to pick him up next Thursday after 2 months of working with Save a Lab our home will be whole again. Yes I would get another pet
Old 01-10-2014, 02:45 PM
Dancing Thyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeM View Post
I will ALWAYS have a fur baby (or two) in my home as long as I am able. They love us unconditionally and add so much. One of mine is fast asleep right now with her head on my foot.
Me too, Diane. That's how they sleep and I love it.

When I was married and had a lot of property, we had as many as 7 dogs (all Schnauzers) at one time. Yes, that was a bit much but we got it down to 4 and it made me extremely happy. When one would pass away, we would immediately get another because my grief was overwhelming. A new puppy made me feel happy again. When I moved to TV, I had 3 schnauzers, 2 passed away (they were both 16) and Sam and I were very lonely. I found Maggie Mae at a breeder's in FL and picked her up immediately. She was a dream come true, but she is a handful. She's a very busy girl and everything is a game for her. Love her and Sam to death. Yes, I'd get another in a sec. Just wish it could be a rescue but because of asthma, I can only be around non-shedding dogs.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 01-10-2014, 02:48 PM
Sage

We have an 18 year old toy poodle. He is deaf, blind and has no teeth. I am hurting now knowing it won't be too much longer. We also are concerned about being without a furry companion, yet want to have the freedom to go on some trips not suitable for dogs.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,784 Times in 1,387 Posts

we have never ever been without a dog in our family....ever.
So yes we would get another dog and continiue to get them from a rescue specializing in our breed favorite.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:32 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathieI View Post
Me too, Diane. That's how they sleep and I love it.

When I was married and had a lot of property, we had as many as 7 dogs (all Schnauzers) at one time. Yes, that was a bit much but we got it down to 4 and it made me extremely happy. When one would pass away, we would immediately get another because my grief was overwhelming. A new puppy made me feel happy again. When I moved to TV, I had 3 schnauzers, 2 passed away (they were both 16) and Sam and I were very lonely. I found Maggie Mae at a breeder's in FL and picked her up immediately. She was a dream come true, but she is a handful. She's a very busy girl and everything is a game for her. Love her and Sam to death. Yes, I'd get another in a sec. Just wish it could be a rescue but because of asthma, I can only be around non-shedding dogs.
Kathie, you could go to schnauzer rescue for your next dog if you only wanted that breed. Each breed has a rescue group in my experience.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:44 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovsthosebigdogs View Post
Kathie, you could go to schnauzer rescue for your next dog if you only wanted that breed. Each breed has a rescue group in my experience.
Love your quote from Mark Twain and agree wholeheartedly.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.