Your opinions on whether you would get another pet or not

Closed Thread
Old 01-11-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I can't imagine life without a pet. When our first golden died, I was inconsolable for two months and finally got a puppy, knowing we were going overseas in two years. My husband caved, mainly for me. We hauled a 75-lb golden to France for six months, and back again. He's now 6 and 88 lbs. I spent a ton of time training him, because he's stronger than I am.

My problem is how to deal with a big dog after him. They are very strong, and we will be in our 70s. We had cats all our married life until a few years ago, and I could spend the rest of my life with cats if it weren't for our bird.

So I'm sorta on the lookout for a small breed with a golden's temperament. Met two Malti-poos yesterday in a golf cart who were totally quiet, friendly, and wagging like crazy at our golden. I could go with the right small dog (or two). I know I could get DH to cave once again.

I don't care about the expense or the hassle. We really enjoy our pets.
Check out the Goldendoodles. They come in small, medium, and large sizes and are truly a wonderful loving dog.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,943 Times in 796 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by llapoint101 View Post
Check out the Goldendoodles. They come in small, medium, and large sizes and are truly a wonderful loving dog.
I've thought of a golden doodle. They are adorable. The ones I've seen were way too big for how old we will be in 6 or 7 years--same weight as our golden, but many inches taller and just as strong.

I've seen a miniature golden doodle, around 30 lbs. It's a good size, but this particular one is too much of the poodle look for our taste. NOTHING AT ALL against poodles! We just prefer a squarer, blockier face

My friend (on their fourth golden) just sent me links to a mix between a golden and a cocker spaniel. Gets 30-45 lbs. I think they're called Dakota Sport Retrievers.

I was considering a Wheaton terrier, but our groomer just gave me a blank stare when I mentioned it. Then she said, "They can very, very weird."

Last edited by CFrance; 01-11-2014 at 02:26 PM.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:57 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweety Bird View Post
I kind of agree with you there. My mini Dachshund was euthanized. Seeing him go lifeless, is still traumatic for me when I replay this in my mind. A few things that keep me from getting another dog is:
A) always remembering to get home often enough to let him out
B) walking him in the heat of the summer
C) lots of money spent for vet bills and for when we travel
D) not being able to sleep in because he needs to go out

I miss him, but the freedom is really wonderful. I might change my mind though if some dog tugs at my heart. The memory of his precious little eyes were unforgettable. Tears come to my eyes now....
Oh little tweetybird, What you said brought tears to my eyes as well.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:17 PM

So glad to see this thread. We're struggling with the decision to get a puppy. We've been dog-less for 3 years after we had to put down our 15-year-old Border Terrier. The previous year we lost our Scottie/Cairn mix who was also 15. The struggles of a geriatric dog were very hard to go through once, let alone twice.

That being said, I have two major concerns. Our children live in other states so we would often have to board the dog. The second is that our house is new and I'd hate to have to haul out the Pet Bot to clean the carpet. Been there, done that, too many times to count. Wish my husband liked hardwood or tiled living rooms. We do miss the wet nosed kisses and wagging tails. I've found a Cairn breeder that has a litter due in a few weeks so we could have a puppy around April. We aren't really interested in a rescue for a number of reasons. If the right one came along, we'd consider other small breeds/mixes as long as they are puppies.

Feeling the emptiness of not having a dog.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:49 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I've thought of a golden doodle. They are adorable. The ones I've seen were way too big for how old we will be in 6 or 7 years--same weight as our golden, but many inches taller and just as strong.

I've seen a miniature golden doodle, around 30 lbs. It's a good size, but this particular one is too much of the poodle look for our taste. NOTHING AT ALL against poodles! We just prefer a squarer, blockier face

My friend (on their fourth golden) just sent me links to a mix between a golden and a cocker spaniel. Gets 30-45 lbs. I think they're called Dakota Sport Retrievers.

I was considering a Wheaton terrier, but our groomer just gave me a blank stare when I mentioned it. Then she said, "They can very, very weird."
Love my Wheaton Terrier - we've had two - this one a rescue. Molly is wonderful and everyone loves her! Don't taken what your groomer says too seriously - they are great pups.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:12 PM
Sage

When/if I get to a point I feel I can no longer adopt... I will foster!
Old 01-11-2014, 08:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,651 Times in 1,364 Posts

lafter having pets most of our lives we now no longer have a dog or a cat. Its just too hard to let them go so we decided no new puppies or kitties for us
Old 01-11-2014, 08:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,943 Times in 796 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debfrommaine View Post
Love my Wheaton Terrier - we've had two - this one a rescue. Molly is wonderful and everyone loves her! Don't taken what your groomer says too seriously - they are great pups.
Well, I wondered about that, Deb. One winter in Key West there was a Wheaton at the dog park. The owners travel up and down the east coast printing and selling T-shirts at events, and they needed a medium-sized dog who would be good with people and not mind living in cramped RV quarters. He was the nicest, friendliest dog, and very playful--loved to retrieve. I came away thinking what a nice dog, size- and temperament-wise.

Maybe my groomer had a couple of "off" ones. It is a small town, and maybe they came from the same breeder. She didn't elaborate. I should have asked.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.