Evans Prairie is Back

Old 04-28-2024, 08:37 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,808 Times in 3,664 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Iwaszko View Post
It's kind of odd that courses are getting in better condition once the grass starts growing again. It's a miracle!!!! I think this will continue until the grass goes dormant again in the winter. Enjoy the moments...........
Good sarcasm, but EP was in the need for more than jus grass growing.

Old 04-28-2024, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
Not to stoke the thread....but what explains other courses with similar layouts and uses across FL, that are in superior condition? Does the weather discriminate only TV?! Of course it plays a role but believing it has more of an impact than course maintenance (given some are under USGA monitoring) would be ‘placing your head in the sand’!
Those were built better.
Old 04-28-2024, 12:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,999 Times in 4,165 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy View Post
Maintenance may have played a small role in course conditions this winter. But to dismiss the lack of sunshine and cool temperatures is akin to placing your head in the sand. Bermuda grass is a hot weather grass that can survive many winter conditions, but not all. The newly developed Bermuda types are much better at this.
Sorry, didn't realize Evans and Havana had different grass, less sunshine and cooler temps than the courses they are adjacent to. In other words, it is EASY to dismiss. If they were all bad, that would be a different story.
Old 04-28-2024, 01:28 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,627 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Apologies, other courses are ‘superior’ to conditions constantly posted on these threads about TV. I know many like to use ‘pristine’, but it’s ambiguous and better used to describe beaches
EP is definitely coming back. Good to enjoy time and when it comes full circle.

Shipping since you changed your Superior to pristine,

Still asking what are the pristine courses out of the bubble, you have been playing and would definitely recommend.

Our Tuesday/Thursdays outside groups are always looking for experienced recommendations for courses within couple hours of TV.

Last edited by Moderator; 04-28-2024 at 01:46 PM.
Old 04-28-2024, 01:42 PM

Things will improve as the greens are replaced with a Bermuda ultradarf such as Tif eagle. The newer developed Bermudas are much more tolerant to cool winters.
Warm, sunny winters make a huge difference.
Give all that it does seem that Havana greens struggle every winter.
Old 04-28-2024, 01:55 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
EP is definitely coming back. Good to enjoy time and when it comes full circle.

Shipping since you changed your Superior to pristine,

Still asking what are the pristine courses out of the bubble, you have been playing and would definitely recommend.

Our Tuesday/Thursdays outside groups are always looking for experienced recommendations for courses within couple hours of TV.
No change. I stated ‘pristine’ ....
used heavily in past threads....should be left to describe beaches.

‘Superior’ is an easy status to achieve when comparing TV courses to off site tracks. That’s not just me, there are daily reminders of this across ToTV.

If you’d like something or somewhere within a two hour radius that meets that criteria.....how about an hour away....and any public course at WDW!
Old 04-28-2024, 02:16 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond

Quote:
No change. I stated ‘pristine’ ....
used heavily in past threads....should be left to describe beaches.

‘Superior’ is an easy status to achieve when comparing TV courses to off site tracks. That’s not just me, there are daily reminders of this across ToTV.

If you’d like something or somewhere within a two hour radius that meets that criteria.....how about an hour away....and any public course at WDW!
Play WDW when SOG was Disney Golf Resort in the 80’s, usually 4-6 times a year, until greens fees skyrocketed, this past year, plus Magnolia has two temp greens.

With pass holders discounts $140 but non pass holder guests are at $160+ depending on the day. With short holes it’s gives one pause. Nice courses and usually in great shape, but play has definitely slowed with the newer rate. Last year rate was $86, big difference. Traveling up to Valhalla soon, should be in great shape

Still would like some reference courses you have played lately, good, bad or don’t go there.
Old 04-28-2024, 04:13 PM

As far as courses outside the bubble, it's kind of hit or miss. We played Stonecrest Golf Club in March, and it was a little weedy, but pretty green everywhere and nicely mowed. Last week, it was burned out with a lot of bare spots in the fairways and roughs. This was explained in the pro shop as being from lack of rainfall, to balance their effluent irrigation, which tends to burn the turf. We had the same contrasts at The Monarch at Royal Highlands, going from good to bad in a month. Deer Island CC was in pretty decent condition, early this month, but that could change also. From what I'm seeing, maintenance quality, inside the bubble, seems to be more consistent, outside of the few problem courses. Of course, this only applies to the championship courses--the executives have had a lot of problems this year. A lot can depend upon timing and the type and quantity of irrigation water used at a facility. Effluent irrigation, which is very common in FL, can build up salts in the soil, which need periodic flushing by fresh water, to keep from burning the grass. The golf courses also have consumptive use permits, which dictate how much water can be used. These can vary even between courses within TV, so some courses may have plenty of water while others struggle a bit.

Regarding Evans Prairie, and the Riley Grove 9 at Palmer, the problem was an application of a chemical to kill Poa annua (annual bluegrass), the little clumps of grass with seed heads. Unfortunately, the chemicals have become less effective in killing Poa, but in this case damaged the Bermuda. The Bermuda is coming back, now that the weather is warm enough to promote growth.

On Havana, a 4" thick organic layer had developed on the greens, from years of little management. They have been trying to slowly bring them back by frequent aerification, but from what I've heard (don't know for sure), they possibly went in and did more radical work to them, after the USGA visited.

El Nino wasn't the cause of the problems, but it did drastically make recovery more difficult. Bermudagrass requires lots of sun and warm temperatures to grow, and we had little of either this winter/spring.

I too have played Evans Prairie, and found it to now be in pretty good shape, with just a few bad spots. I haven't seen Havana, but hopefully the problems are being addressed, and it will be good in the years to come.
Old 04-28-2024, 06:34 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
Play WDW when SOG was Disney Golf Resort in the 80’s, usually 4-6 times a year, until greens fees skyrocketed, this past year, plus Magnolia has two temp greens.

With pass holders discounts $140 but non pass holder guests are at $160+ depending on the day. With short holes it’s gives one pause. Nice courses and usually in great shape, but play has definitely slowed with the newer rate. Last year rate was $86, big difference. Traveling up to Valhalla soon, should be in great shape

Still would like some reference courses you have played lately, good, bad or don’t go there.
I'll take a Valhalla round over most! Good enough for the PGA Championship...good enough for me. Louisville is definitely out of the 2 hour radius though!
I've never posted a 'dont go there' post. Anytime I play is a good day. As far as a rec within an hour of TV, Dubsdread in ORL is a decent track, good range and super people. Reasonable greens fees...paid around $64 on a Tuesday am plus free bucket of range balls. Older course but worth the drive
Old 04-28-2024, 07:09 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
I'll take a Valhalla round over most! Good enough for the PGA Championship...good enough for me. Louisville is definitely out of the 2 hour radius though!
I've never posted a 'dont go there' post. Anytime I play is a good day. As far as a rec within an hour of TV, Dubsdread in ORL is a decent track, good range and super people. Reasonable greens fees...paid around $64 on a Tuesday am plus free bucket of range balls. Older course but worth the drive
Spouse up until 18 lived between Lexington and Louisville, with family since the 1800s (lots of Native background) 50minute flight shorter than drive to MCO, so basically 2 hours.

Our youngest lives in Louisville is the reason “Val” is available. Derby next week, family has small box, going on 3 generations. Family farm has raised and trained 3 derby runners, no winners but still fun.

Then 4 days of golf, select distillery's, and good southern food.

Tags
back, evans, rotation, place, revived

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.