View Poll Results: How "gay tolerant" is The Villages
Very open and tolerant community 15 20.83%
Being gay is not a problem in TV 34 47.22%
We're ok with gays, but keep it discreet 20 27.78%
Don't even think about living in TV if you are gay. 3 4.17%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 12-15-2010, 06:32 PM
Red face Are Villagers and TV gay friendly?

Just wondering how "gay tolerant" TV is.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:41 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francie View Post
Just wondering how "gay tolerant" TV is.
Check out Rainbow Family--

http://rainbowfamilyvillagesfl.com/site/
Old 12-15-2010, 07:48 PM
Smile this shouldn't even be an issue

We are the friendliest home town. I would be very unhappy with our new home if that was an issue. We are who we are ,and it isn't a "choice".
Old 12-15-2010, 07:53 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I have friends ranging in age from 43 to 92 here. Some are gay, some are straight and I honestly think one is still confused.

I play Mah Jongg with a group of ladies where the youngest is 60 (me) and the others are all in their 70s or older. One lady in the group is gay. The others didn't know at first, do now and don't care. They like her for her and absolutely adore her partner.

Things have changed a lot about viewpoints and biases against gays, even among the "older" generation. They have gay children, gay grandchildren or their kids or grandkids have gay friends. They've learned that being gay isn't a disease and that they love the gay person regardless of their personal beliefs. From what I've seen, this is pretty much the attitude in TV.

I wouldn't recommend you go hugging and kissing in the squares, but I wouldn't recommend that a straight couple do that, either -- that's just not acceptable behavior regardless of orientation. You might get some looks and even an occasional glare if you walk around holding hands, but not as much as you would expect.

So, as the saying goes, "Come on down!"

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 12-15-2010, 07:54 PM
Sage

Forgot to mention -- if you're liberal and gay, then you might have a problem. Keep the liberal aspect to yourself.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 12-15-2010, 08:23 PM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to Shirleevee

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Forgot to mention -- if you're liberal and gay, then you might have a problem. Keep the liberal aspect to yourself.
A Gay Democratic? Oy Vey! lololol

I have a hard time being a straight Democratic!

Staten Island, N.Y./The Villages
Old 12-15-2010, 11:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirleevee View Post
A Gay Democratic? Oy Vey! lololol

I have a hard time being a straight Democratic!
And a liberal is several steps below a Dem here. It really is harder to be a Democrat or liberal (which sounds like an obscene word when said by most TVers) than to be gay. You really do have to be very discrete when it comes to your politics if you're not a conservative Republican.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:41 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
And a liberal is several steps below a Dem here. It really is harder to be a Democrat or liberal (which sounds like an obscene word when said by most TVers) than to be gay. You really do have to be very discrete when it comes to your politics if you're not a conservative Republican.
Red I think you are correct on your statement. I have two very openly gay gals as my best friends at work. My goodness I take at least one of them out for lunch or dinner every week. We talk about everything under the sun and feel very comfortable with that. I will admit that politically we are opposites and generally we stay away from politics.
The one gal I taught how to trade options and she has been an excellent student. She has made close to $100K profit this year. I don't claim to know why but she has turned from very far left to the center as far as politics.

In answer to the original question I think gays are very well accepted here in TV. welcome

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.