Ad remover

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 01-14-2019, 09:29 PM
bob47 bob47 is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Santiago
Posts: 231
Thanks: 88
Thanked 55 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexxfan View Post
I find Windows Defender more than good enough as an anti virus. If you have Windows 10, it's built-in.
--
bc
Would you say Windows Defender is as good as, or maybe even a better choice than Avast Free?
  #17  
Old 01-15-2019, 07:12 AM
rjn5656's Avatar
rjn5656 rjn5656 is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,055
Thanks: 27
Thanked 118 Times in 57 Posts
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656
Default

Just installed Ad Blocker Plus, working fine.
__________________
Bob anc Cheri
Upstate NY/Bonita
  #18  
Old 01-17-2019, 02:06 PM
rexxfan rexxfan is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 390
Thanks: 2
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob47 View Post
Would you say Windows Defender is as good as, or maybe even a better choice than Avast Free?
Yes, but mostly because Defender is built-in and doesn't require the use of any tricks that other AV's use to inject themselves into the low levels of the operating system they need access to in order to do their job. Those same tricks can sometimes be exploited by malware to give the malware the same low level access. That's something you don't want to happen. Finally, now that Defender can be configured to run in a so-called "sandbox" (a software construct that prevents any malicious code that might get loose inside a process from having any access to things outside that process) you're going to be about as safe as you can realistically be. The sandboxing capability is relatively new. I don't know of any third party antivirus that offers it. Here's an article describing it in more detail:

Microsoft Sandboxes Windows Defender

Last edited by rexxfan; 01-17-2019 at 02:11 PM.
  #19  
Old 01-18-2019, 11:18 AM
Barefoot's Avatar
Barefoot Barefoot is online now
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Winters in TV, Summers in Canada.
Posts: 17,585
Thanks: 923
Thanked 141 Times in 97 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexxfan View Post
Yes, but mostly because Defender is built-in and doesn't require the use of any tricks that other AV's use to inject themselves into the low levels of the operating system they need access to in order to do their job. Those same tricks can sometimes be exploited by malware to give the malware the same low level access. That's something you don't want to happen. Finally, now that Defender can be configured to run in a so-called "sandbox" (a software construct that prevents any malicious code that might get loose inside a process from having any access to things outside that process) you're going to be about as safe as you can realistically be.
Rexxfan, you are obviously very knowledgeable about computers.
Will I have a problem if I have Windows Defender installed, and also Avast Premium, Norton, and Webroot.
Webroot was installed by the Geek Squad because we bought six appliances at Best Buy.
Should I deactivate those protections?
__________________
Barefoot At Last
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
  #20  
Old 01-18-2019, 05:47 PM
rexxfan rexxfan is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 390
Thanks: 2
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Rexxfan, you are obviously very knowledgeable about computers.
Will I have a problem if I have Windows Defender installed, and also Avast Premium, Norton, and Webroot.
Webroot was installed by the Geek Squad because we bought six appliances at Best Buy.
Should I deactivate those protections?
You definitely only want one anti-virus. Here's a quick explanation why.
https://www.kaspersky.com/resource-c...virus-products
  #21  
Old 01-18-2019, 09:47 PM
Barefoot's Avatar
Barefoot Barefoot is online now
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Winters in TV, Summers in Canada.
Posts: 17,585
Thanks: 923
Thanked 141 Times in 97 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexxfan View Post
You definitely only want one anti-virus. Here's a quick explanation why.
https://www.kaspersky.com/resource-c...virus-products
Thanks.
__________________
Barefoot At Last
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
Closed Thread

Tags
remover, costs, $40.00, buy, yearly

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:31 AM.