Laptop with docking station or Desktop Laptop with docking station or Desktop - Talk of The Villages Florida

Laptop with docking station or Desktop

Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 09-29-2025, 12:12 PM
kschwi kschwi is offline
Bronze Member
Join Date: Feb 2024
Posts: 74
Thanks: 75
Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Default Laptop with docking station or Desktop

I have an old 9 year old desktop with Windows 10 that probably would struggle with Windows 11. I am looking to pick up a new computer.... I do have two monitors which are probably as old as the desktop.

I do spend a few months up north so leaning towards a laptop with a docking station for ergonomic reasons. I am trying to figure out how I would set that up on my computer desk. I have a space for a desktop down below and a keyboard tray. Would I be able to connect both monitors to the laptop? One has an HDMI cord and the other is the old fashioned kind with the pins.

Any other recommendations? I don't need an overly fast laptop since I don't do much gaming or streaming on it.
  #2  
Old 09-29-2025, 12:43 PM
Arctic Fox's Avatar
Arctic Fox Arctic Fox is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,895
Thanks: 53
Thanked 1,746 Times in 706 Posts
Default

Having delayed and delayed, I finally made the move from "desktops in each location" to a laptop, and have not regretted doing so (no more moving files every time).

I didn't think I would get on with just the laptop keyboard and screen (15") but it didn't take long to get used to them. However, I don't do a huge amount of typing, or run large spreadsheets, so you may still prefer external devices (I do still use a mouse as I hate trackpads).

I suspect that a standard USB keyboard would work, rather than bothering with a docking station, and connecting in an external HDMI monitor would give you a bigger screen (just make sure any laptop you buy will support one). You can use a converter to turn the HDMI signal into your older monitor input.

I'm not an expert, but have had no problems making the move from desktops to laptop (Acer Aspire).
  #3  
Old 09-29-2025, 12:48 PM
CoachKandSportsguy CoachKandSportsguy is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Marsh Bend
Posts: 4,564
Thanks: 668
Thanked 3,262 Times in 1,612 Posts
Default

I have built my own desktop towers, several times, but now I just have a laptop which is just as powerful or more, and its portable, so I leave just the docking stations and monitors/keyboards, mouse in each location, and just move the laptop.

laptop is the computer of choice. . for traveling, I have a backpack for it, in which I carry the mouse and power supply, and some extra cables and connections. . although we don't fly much for work, so I don't bring it with me except on camping trips in the trailer. .

lighter, easier, simple, KISS

i can't handle the configurations required for dual monitors, so i just have one large 34" curved landscape monitor,
Dell UltraSharp 34 Curved Thunderbolt™ Hub Monitor - U3425WE | Dell USA

again, I try to keep it simple, still enough room for several different apps, though I no longer work, I never had two monitors, as I only focus on one app at a time. .
  #4  
Old 09-29-2025, 01:15 PM
jimhoward's Avatar
jimhoward jimhoward is offline
Gold Member
Join Date: Oct 2024
Posts: 906
Thanks: 42
Thanked 838 Times in 387 Posts
Default

Laptops are great of course. If you are computing on the go, on an airplane, in the airport, in the car, in bed, outside etc, they can't be beat. But as you asked for alternatives, let me throw one out there which is the mini-pC.

MiniPC's are very small (typically < 5"x5"x1.5") and powerful and economical. It easy to get an i9 processor and 32GB RAM, 1 TB storage for <$750. Less powerful miniPCs cost half that. The concept is you put a nice big monitor and ergonomic keyboard at each of your homes/offices and then just bring this small 5'x5'x1.5" block back and forth and you have all your applications and files. It is simpler and more compact than a docking station and laptop. You also have the option of a portable monitor and keyboard for travel and those are extremely small....like the size and thickness of a pad of paper.
  #5  
Old 09-29-2025, 01:52 PM
OrangeBlossomBaby OrangeBlossomBaby is offline
Diamond Member
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 12,605
Thanks: 10,375
Thanked 13,621 Times in 4,748 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kschwi View Post
I have an old 9 year old desktop with Windows 10 that probably would struggle with Windows 11. I am looking to pick up a new computer.... I do have two monitors which are probably as old as the desktop.

I do spend a few months up north so leaning towards a laptop with a docking station for ergonomic reasons. I am trying to figure out how I would set that up on my computer desk. I have a space for a desktop down below and a keyboard tray. Would I be able to connect both monitors to the laptop? One has an HDMI cord and the other is the old fashioned kind with the pins.

Any other recommendations? I don't need an overly fast laptop since I don't do much gaming or streaming on it.
Another option: get a 2-in-1 keyboard with extra ports. One with a 16" or even 17" screen.

Then get a mechanical keyboard for your keyboard drawer (those are the super-cheap ones that plug into the USB port, usually under $20), and plug that in. Get either a bluetooth mouse or a wired mouse. Connect that.

Then turn the laptop "inside out" so the laptop keyboard is facing away from you and all you can see is the screen, and tilt it to however you're comfortable viewing it.

Many of these 2-in-1 laptops are also touch-screen, which can be convenient if you want to use it as an oversized tablet.

Yes, it's "only" a 16" or 17" monitor, but it'll be full HD, your headset or earbuds will get incredibly excellent sound from it (whether wired or bluetooth), and it'll behave exactly like a normal desktop computer when you're home and have your peripherals plugged in/connected.
Closed Thread

Tags
laptop, desktop, monitors, computer, docking

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:44 PM.