New Computer, or Upgrade Existing Tower?

Closed Thread
Old 04-30-2023, 08:18 AM

Hi, If you are thinking of repairing your old computer, may I recommend Jacob's Computers on 102 Main Street, Wildwood. FL. I have used him for a number of repairs and items and he is very skilled. If you are worried about Windows 10 coming to an end of support, I continue to use Windows 7, as does many of my neighbors here and I have little or no difficulty using my "old" computer. Also, I am given to understand Windows 11 does not work with older, "legacy" equipment (printers, scanners, monitors, etc). I have always felt that, just because something is old, doesn't mean it is no longer any good or useful." Good luck.
Old 04-30-2023, 08:27 AM
Veteran member
Default Chromebook?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I already have a laptop. I'll need to replace that too once Win10 is completely phased out, since that is also not upgradable to Win11. I let hubby use the laptop and I just bring it with me when I travel sometimes. I hate laptop keyboards, and the mouse pad, the only reason I have it at all, is because I earned it as a top seller for HP when I used to work at Staples. Two laptops, $100 off this computer, three photo printers, one business printer, around $2000 in Starbucks and Chilis gift cards, and six years worth of free Instant Ink for my printers. I gave most of the devices away as gifts or donated to a local food pantry office.

I'm already hooked up. It's just that everything I have is OLD now, and will soon need replacing. I'm trying to prepare for that.
Maybe a Chromebook is for you. I've been using one since 2010.
Old 04-30-2023, 08:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,738 Times in 5,252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheiro View Post
Hi, If you are thinking of repairing your old computer, may I recommend Jacob's Computers on 102 Main Street, Wildwood. FL. I have used him for a number of repairs and items and he is very skilled. If you are worried about Windows 10 coming to an end of support, I continue to use Windows 7, as does many of my neighbors here and I have little or no difficulty using my "old" computer. Also, I am given to understand Windows 11 does not work with older, "legacy" equipment (printers, scanners, monitors, etc). I have always felt that, just because something is old, doesn't mean it is no longer any good or useful." Good luck.
Can you provide one example of an older printer or monitor that will work with Windows 7 or 10, but will not work with Windows 11? I am very skeptical of that statement.
Old 04-30-2023, 08:51 AM
Location: Wisconsin, California, military, California, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, (Ugh!) and, FINALLY, TV
Default Why replace?

Quote:

Suggestions, things to watch out for, things to avoid, can my idea of keeping my tower and upgrading it work?
If your computer is doing everything you want/need it to do, why "upgrade?" The fan can (and should) be replaced reasonably cheaply. After MS stops "supporting" Windows 10, nothing will change. (When is the last time you called MS for support?). I'd make sure your anti-virus software was kept up, and all files/pictures that can't be replaced are stored OFF the computer, and go happily on. Windows XP still "works!"

Just my opinion.
Old 04-30-2023, 09:01 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by donfey View Post
If your computer is doing everything you want/need it to do, why "upgrade?" The fan can (and should) be replaced reasonably cheaply. After MS stops "supporting" Windows 10, nothing will change. (When is the last time you called MS for support?). I'd make sure your anti-virus software was kept up, and all files/pictures that can't be replaced are stored OFF the computer, and go happily on. Windows XP still "works!"

Just my opinion.
I would just point out that it is not about calling Microsoft for support. Apparently, hackers are always trying to take advantage of security weaknesses in operating systems. That is why Windows is always being updated to address security issues. If they stop doing that with Windows 10, your computer could become vulnerable. At least that is the argument.

I use TurboTax on my hard drive, and I had to upgrade to Windows 11 last year because TurboTax would not even install on my Windows 10 computer.
Old 04-30-2023, 10:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,516 Times in 3,107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillagerNut View Post
I agree that your whole motherboard needs to be replaced to upgrade to Windows 11. There are PC towers out there you can buy that will work. You can have a DVD/CD player installed in most towers. Just verify that you can install it. You may want to check with Dell or Best Buy for help.
As mentioned a couple of times already: I will not consider a Dell. I am on a budget. I already have a tower, the question was - swap out components, or replace the whole shebang? The question was already answered: I can keep everything as is for another year. And then, at that point, I'll be able to afford whatever the heck I want, my budget will have expanded (I start my first social security check in August and will be using some of it to buy a new cell phone, since my old one has android 8 and can't upgrade further, and a couple of my apps no longer work on it as a result).
Old 04-30-2023, 10:56 AM
Default Possibly one of the best reviewed computer companies on the web

Quite a few years ago, I bought a tower that was part of a lot retired from a business that came with 10pro and it is still going terrific. We added my hard drive from my old computer and upgraded memory and it is super fast. I use an old vizio tv as the monitor with a $5 adapter. I am still running pro and have not had problems with any programs but I do not use Turbo Tax. If TT will not work on 11, why not stick with older version if tax specifics are still current?

The company is in Fort Lauderdale but will give good advice and probably ship. Search for "Ask Chip" computers. Also Known as H&J Electronics.
Old 04-30-2023, 11:01 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licorice2335 View Post
Quite a few years ago, I bought a tower that was part of a lot retired from a business that came with 10pro and it is still going terrific. We added my hard drive from my old computer and upgraded memory and it is super fast. I use an old vizio tv as the monitor with a $5 adapter. I am still running pro and have not had problems with any programs but I do not use Turbo Tax. If TT will not work on 11, why not stick with older version if tax specifics are still current?

The company is in Fort Lauderdale but will give good advice and probably ship. Search for "Ask Chip" computers. Also Known as H&J Electronics.
TurboTax will work on Windows 11, but it won't work on Windows 10 or earlier. You need to buy a new version of TurboTax every year to do the current year's tax return.
Old 04-30-2023, 11:02 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by donfey View Post

Just my opinion.
Support has nothing to do with that. It means they'll cease to offer security updates, making it vulnerable to newer virii, hacking, etc. It also means that the programs you have loaded on it WILL upgrade - and when THEY cease to be backward compatible, they will cease to work on your old computer. That's already happened with one of my old programs that I kept from when I had WinXP. It's already happening with my cell phone too - I can no longer use the Allstate app at all, so I uninstalled it. Google play store even states, when I tried to update it, that I have no devices left that it'll work with.

Yes, the old OSs all work just fine, as long as you use old programs and don't try to update them when updates are available. My OLD cell phone, I now use as an MP3 player because NONE of the apps on it will work on it anymore and in fact, if I try to connect it to wifi, it will try and update the firmware, and get stuck because it -cannot- update. My old Nexus tablet is now a paperweight for the same reason.

The fan doesn't need to be replaced at all. The computer functions fine with it not working, and it is one of three fans, and the other two are functioning at 100%. This is a powerful computer, and was designed to do things that I don't need it to do. I got a deal on it, otherwise I wouldn't have bought this model, I would've gotten a lower-end model.

But now, this model is obsolete, and if I want the functionality I actually use, I'll have to upgrade.
Old 04-30-2023, 11:05 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I would just point out that it is not about calling Microsoft for support. Apparently, hackers are always trying to take advantage of security weaknesses in operating systems. That is why Windows is always being updated to address security issues. If they stop doing that with Windows 10, your computer could become vulnerable. At least that is the argument.

I use TurboTax on my hard drive, and I had to upgrade to Windows 11 last year because TurboTax would not even install on my Windows 10 computer.
You don't have to use TurboTax on your hard drive, you could use the online service. Or you could just - not use TurboTax. I'm fickle when it comes to tax services. For us, free is better. We use the one the IRS recommends, and we don't have to pay for the filing at all since we take the standard deduction and don't itemize.
Old 04-30-2023, 11:17 AM
Sage

Quote:
You don't have to use TurboTax on your hard drive, you could use the online service. Or you could just - not use TurboTax. I'm fickle when it comes to tax services. For us, free is better. We use the one the IRS recommends, and we don't have to pay for the filing at all since we take the standard deduction and don't itemize.
Correct, but I prepare my own return and several other personal returns as well as several trust returns and I prefer to have the TT programs (personal and business) on my hard drive. I am very satisfied with TurboTax and my new Windows 11 HP desktop.
Old 04-30-2023, 12:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,912 Times in 918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
TurboTax will work on Windows 11, but it won't work on Windows 10 or earlier. You need to buy a new version of TurboTax every year to do the current year's tax return.
Hmmm, I used Turbo Tax Business/Trust version on my Windows 10 laptop this year. . I do the personal on line. . though I realize that its somewhat of a risk. . I guess i need to upgrade with my bonus this year. . have been putting that off as well. . .

For OBB, i would just build a new motherboard for your tower. . The components are easy enough to install and plug in. . however, I have given up on towers and have gone with a laptop after using one for about 10 years or more at work. Prolly because I travel with it on planes, trains and automobiles. . .

If you need a new tower case, I have an extra one i never create a new build with, and you can have it if you want. . its several years old, small and light.

If you want it, i can get the model number, and will ship it you no cost to you, let me know here or pm
Old 04-30-2023, 12:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
Hmmm, I used Turbo Tax Business/Trust version on my Windows 10 laptop this year. . I do the personal on line. . though I realize that its somewhat of a risk. . I guess i need to upgrade with my bonus this year. . have been putting that off as well. . .

For OBB, i would just build a new motherboard for your tower. . The components are easy enough to install and plug in. . however, I have given up on towers and have gone with a laptop after using one for about 10 years or more at work. Prolly because I travel with it on planes, trains and automobiles. . .

If you need a new tower case, I have an extra one i never create a new build with, and you can have it if you want. . its several years old, small and light.

If you want it, i can get the model number, and will ship it you no cost to you, let me know here or pm
You are correct. My bad. The 2022 version of TurboTax will work on Windows 10. As I recall, I had difficulty installing the 2021 version, and the TurboTax screen warned me and highly recommended upgrading my computer to Windows 11. That is when I purchased a new desktop. So, I didn't need to attempt a Windows 10 installation for 2022. So, apparently, TurboTax has delayed their mandatory moved to Windows 11.
Old 04-30-2023, 12:32 PM

I use TurboTax on my hard drive, and I had to upgrade to Windows 11 last year because TurboTax would not even install on my Windows 10 computer.[/QUOTE]

I have Win 10 and installed Turbo Tax this year with no problems. TT was free through Fidelity if that makes a difference.
Old 04-30-2023, 12:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
I have Win 10 and installed Turbo Tax this year with no problems. TT was free through Fidelity if that makes a difference.[/QUOTE]
See Post No. 43.
Closed Thread

Tags
computer, tower, drive, ssd, buy

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.