Windows 10 Upgrade - be aware

Closed Thread
Old 11-17-2015, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Dog View Post
After upgrading to Win10, I was not happy with it so I uninstalled Win10 back to Win7. Since that time ALL my office file were marked "read only" which I did set up a work around so they are usable. Also my laptop operates so slowly it is like back in the early 70s type computers.

I am seriously think about switching to a MacBook pro so as not having to deal with Microsoft ever again.
When you went from 7 to 10 you retained a mirror copy of 7. When you return to 7 does your computer retain a mirror copy of 10? If it does that size file could slow your computer.
Old 11-18-2015, 06:16 AM
Veteran member
Location: Reading, Pa, The Villages, Reading, Pa, The Villages until the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
When you went from 7 to 10 you retained a mirror copy of 7. When you return to 7 does your computer retain a mirror copy of 10? If it does that size file could slow your computer.
Great, so how do I get rid of the Win10 mirror??????
Old 11-18-2015, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Dog View Post
Great, so how do I get rid of the Win10 mirror??????
Run the Disk Cleanup utility (for example by opening the start menu, clicking "Computer", right clicking your C drive icon, choosing "Properties" and then clicking the "Disk Cleanup" button). Once the disk cleanup window opens, click the "Clean up system files" button. In the list of things to cleanup that will come up you should find a selection for Previous Windows Versions and/or Windows Setup Files. Click to select them and finally click OK.
--
bc
Old 11-18-2015, 07:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,333 Times in 873 Posts

Why do most people experience no issues with Win 10 and others don't? Hardware issues, capacity issues, operator issues, compatibility issues or something else?

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 11-19-2015, 08:02 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Why do people have to have the latest windows OS? Are you not happy with Win7? Quit chasing the latest OS unless there is some new capability that you just have to have.
Old 11-19-2015, 08:24 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
Why do people have to have the latest windows OS? Are you not happy with Win7? Quit chasing the latest OS unless there is some new capability that you just have to have.
In my case, I wanted to get rid of Windows 8.1. I like most of the new features in W10 so I upgraded my W7 desktop so my wife could get a feel for W10. I will update her laptop until after the November upgrade comes out.

There are some things about W10 I do not like but I am hoping that with all of the Feedback, MS will make some changes to fix these things or a third party vendor will come out with some free code to make it work better.

Z
Old 11-19-2015, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
One advantage of Windows 10 is support ends October 14, 2025 and 7 ends January 14, 2020. A free upgrade to 10 will give you 5 more years of support, and down the road new devices and software may not work well on 7.
Old 11-19-2015, 11:02 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
One advantage of Windows 10 is support ends October 14, 2025 and 7 ends January 14, 2020. A free upgrade to 10 will give you 5 more years of support, and down the road new devices and software may not work well on 7.
That free upgrade to W10 supposedly ends at the end of July 2016. MS has not stated what will happen after that.

Z
Old 11-20-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman View Post
That free upgrade to W10 supposedly ends at the end of July 2016. MS has not stated what will happen after that.

Z
No they haven't but if the past is any indication, the price of the standard version will be $99 and the Pro version, $199. Just like with XP, Vista, 7 and 8.
--
bc
Old 11-20-2015, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Why do most people experience no issues with Win 10 and others don't? Hardware issues, capacity issues, operator issues, compatibility issues or something else?
Um, all of the above? ;-)

Although MS claims that 10 does not have any increased hardware requirements versus previous versions (i.e. that it takes less disk space, runs in less memory, doesn't use the CPU significantly more and, with DirectX 12, can run games and other 3D graphical software significantly faster as long as its been updated to support the new release).

By and large I have found those claims to be reasonably accurate, at least for the 3 desktops and 2 laptops I have upgraded (all of which were admittedly quite capable machines in terms of memory, CPU and disk space, so that may not be indicative of the results you'd get with not-so-well-endowed machines).
--
bc
Old 11-21-2015, 09:41 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
So I only have until 2020 to upgrade...I will probably be upgrading my win7 computers by then. Of course, there will then be a win 11, 12, 13 by 2020.
Old 11-22-2015, 05:12 AM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW
Default Win 10 has cut me off from my grandkiddies

I was not able to use Skype since is kept saying problem with camera or something, The camera works just fine.

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 11-22-2015, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALYBOW View Post
I was not able to use Skype since is kept saying problem with camera or something, The camera works just fine.
Check for a newer version/update of Skype. We often use it with Windows 10 on a HP laptop.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,319 Times in 501 Posts

I did the upgrade from Vista and the only problem I had was my wifi usb adapter, that it told me wasn't compatible. I had already purchased a replacement but wanted to see if it might use the old one. I installed the new one and Win 10 has been outstanding so far. It is so much faster booting up. Faster than any other MS OS I have used in the past. I only updated from Vista on my computer because my wife wants win10 on hers, and I wanted to test it out before installing it on hers.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:38 AM
Default Beware of Technology that Sounds Good

[QUOTE=tomjbud;1116931]This happened to me - after many wasted hours on tech support, I was finally able to go back to Windows 7. Be aware and back up all your files before upgrading.

Microsoft and other companies are always trying to sell new products and improve on things that don't need improving. They offer free upgrades that are really beta tests of the new things that still haven't been fully shaken out. Windows 10 is one of them. If you use the computer for office types of things, Windows 7 is great, and you don't need (or want) more complexity and more problems. I just hope that I can keep Windows 7 and still use Microsoft Office programs for a long time.

You also should be careful about storing things in the cloud. You would then be at the mercy of someone else's server, and you would lose control of security. My suggestion is to store your personal information on your own computer, using something like Folder Lock to keep it secure. You can easily back everything up on an external drive, either something like a Maxtor hard drive or a flash drive (thumb drive.) Don't take the easy way out and remember that if it sounds too good to be true it is too good to be true.
Closed Thread

Tags
upgrade, windows, back, issue, device, start, black, screen, microsoft, aware, utilities, suggest, media, configurations, creating, external, comments, deactivating, prevents, performing, programs, virus, reports, store, make

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.