Advice on Surge Protectors

Closed Thread
Old 07-15-2014, 04:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,455 Times in 2,344 Posts

Above ALL for any surge protectors you are going to buy, look for a UL label that states the device is UL 1449 certified. There are a few "surge protector" that have UL labels FOR EXTENSION CORDS, and offer little or no actual surge protection. You can guess where these are sold. I have also recently found out that you can buy UL 1449 rated receptacles. I am planning to have the SECO device installed, rental basis, and then have surge suppressing receptacles installed at specific locations in the house. Other locations will use UL listed 1449 surge suppressor plug ion strips. My hope is this will protect for the close in lightning strike, I have no plans to install lightning protection system for a direct hit, unless there is a guarantee the house will not catch fire.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:38 PM

Thanks for the info. I have already all my electronics going through surge protectors, not the cable though. I was told by cable company long time ago that in doing that I will lose part of the signal and that the cable box or the modem are in between the cable and my tv or computer so there is no need. In my 16 years in FL I never had a problem. Since I moved here last year I keep hearing stories do I am trying to get more knowledgeble and see what everyone else is doing.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:46 PM
Veteran member
Location: Chicago, Arlington Hgts, North Aurora, Il. TV since 2002!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccothepug View Post
Thanks for the info. I have already all my electronics going through surge protectors, not the cable though. I was told by cable company long time ago that in doing that I will lose part of the signal and that the cable box or the modem are in between the cable and my tv or computer so there is no need. In my 16 years in FL I never had a problem. Since I moved here last year I keep hearing stories do I am trying to get more knowledgeble and see what everyone else is doing.
We hooked our cable lines to the surge protector and have no problem with signals or picture, everything is same as before just so you know, and our lightning strike surged through the cable line so if this will help protect my equipment then why not, doesn't cost much more for this type of protection. I'd rather do as much within my power to protect my property as best I can and if I still end up with a problem at least I know I tried. Just my opinion. Just because it has never happened to you doesn't mean it can't or won't, I learned that a few weeks ago.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:48 PM

I totally agree with you. I will look in details better, but I sure appreciate your feedback on this. Thank you
Old 07-15-2014, 05:56 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeball View Post
I rent the SECCO whole house surge protector which is mounted directly on the meter for $5/mo. If ANYTHING should happen to it, SECCO replaces it for free since it's theirs to begin with. If you prefer, you can buy one from them and they will install it for a price of $395. But then it becomes yours and, if anything goes wrong, you have to replace it at cost to you.

The SECO surge protector has a standard 10 year warranty and the normal life is 15 + years..

19. What kind of guarantee is there?
The product comes with a standard 10-year product guarantee. An optional 10-year
extended consequential damage warranty is available.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccothepug View Post
A few years ago I had this same conversation with the contract cable technician regarding a degraded picture. I then got the on staff cable company head technician to come to my house to determine why I was getting a degraded picture with the coaxial cable routed through the surge protector. They determined that my cable box was defective and had nothing to do with the surge protector. Further,
they will tell you there is a surge protector on the exterior wall mounted cable box but I have zero confidence that will handle a lightning strike and that is why you need a power strip with ports for the coaxial cable. This also applies to satellite TV as well.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:11 AM
Sage

I ordered surge protection through SECO yesterday, for $349 plus tax. Installed at the meter and they will provide surge protectors for the electronic devices in your home, (the kit contains 3 power strip). One of the rings will protect major appliances like one's fridge's.

I will break even in 5 years by not taking the monthly surcharge of $5.95/month. This purchase is good for 15 years and then I can switch back to the monthly surcharge if desired, or just purchase another kit, for the next 15 years. Then it will be the next owners problem, when they buy my house.

Next step is to purchase lightning rods, even though it's a 1 in 775,000 chance of being hit directly by lightning, Quoted a price of $950, by Triangle Lightning.

My understanding is that when your a lightning hit happens close to your home, surge protection is needed to prevent electrical spikes form destroying your appliances and home electronics.

Lightning protected is needed to prevent a direct hit to your home from getting destroy, by letting the electrical charge be diverted to a ground connection.

For $1,300, I rather be in my home and not worrying about these violent storms. I am a low risk tolerance type person, who wants to feel I did everything in my power, to protect myself. It's better to be safe than sorry but that's just me.

Nothing is ever 100% perfect, but to me, it's worth every penny to have peace of my mind in that I did everything I could to protect my investment and me.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 07-30-2014, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
The surge protector ( which has nothing to do with lightning protection) should be on the meter/service entrance. If you rent one from SECO, and it needs to be replaced, SECO will replace it, no charge. When the device does its' job, it will "wear out" and need to be replaced.
Agree! We just had A-1 Lightning Protection instal lightning rods as well as a surge protector on our main box and individual protectors for garage door opener, phone, electric cart charge, TV, microwave, etc. etc.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:53 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepingItReal View Post
The SECO surge protector has a standard 10 year warranty and the normal life is 15 + years..

19. What kind of guarantee is there?
The product comes with a standard 10-year product guarantee. An optional 10-year
extended consequential damage warranty is available.

How does one know when it has "worn out?" Does something need to be damaged to know this? If surge damage occurs, does SECO pay for repairs/replacement of affected appliances? I can't seem to find answers to these questions.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:38 AM

I have looked at all of the answers here and I need to add this: last week when we had those terrible storms My TV was on in the living room and my computer was on in the bedroom. I was in the bathroom at the time. I heard an enormous POP at the same time there was a big lightening strike - my TV was on and I had a throwaway camera sitting on my dining room table which was TURNED ON by I assume the lightening. What I am getting at is this: I had a surge protector attached to my TV and it stopped the lightening from damaging my TV. All I had to do was get another surge protector attach it and everything came right back on. As for my computer, it knocked out my modem but didn't touch anything else. I know this all sounds crazy, but that is exactly what happened. So, surge protectors that are attached to your electronics DO work.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.