Contractor Alert!!!!! Leesburg Kitchen and Bath

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Old 01-28-2020, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Reputable contractors will always perform a job without being paid in advance. If it is a large project, you can always agree to make progress payments, based on the value of work actually completed. But, never ever pay for work that has not been completed. I never pay in advance, and I have had no problem hiring good contractors to do all kinds of work. If they require a payment in advance, I just tell them that we cannot do business and that I will hire another contractor. There is no temptation at all for me.
Not sure many contractors are going to start work on a project that is $40,000 with out getting some money up front. The contract called for money up front to start the job then a payment once the window was ready to go in and the bath was ready for tile. My mistake was making a payment out of the reserve before the job was finished.
Old 01-28-2020, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
OP, please contact Seniors against crime and file a complaint. Then check to see if any liens have been filed on your house, if so, report these to SAG also. As noted above you can get a attorney but SAG is free, part of the Florida Attorney General, and may get the results you want.
Thanks tinker planning on doing exactly that.

I posted this to try and prevent this from happening to anyone else. I agree I messed up but that ship has sailed.
Old 01-28-2020, 08:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,983 Times in 1,823 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
Not sure many contractors are going to start work on a project that is $40,000 with out getting some money up front. The contract called for money up front to start the job then a payment once the window was ready to go in and the bath was ready for tile. My mistake was making a payment out of the reserve before the job was finished.
I disagree. I have done many construction projects over the years, several in excess of $100K, and I have never paid any money in advance. A good contractor will sign a contract and have sufficient assets or credit to fund the project startup. Any contractor who needs money before starting work is a contractor who I won't do business with.
Old 01-29-2020, 05:29 AM
Default Rae Builders Family

Rae Builders Family in Wildwood may be able to resolve this mess. They were spot on with our kitchen remodel.
352-973-7710
Old 01-29-2020, 05:58 AM

Beware of roofing companies that tell you that you have more than 20% damage to your roof due to a storm last year. I have seen one of these contractors climb up on my neighbors roof and purposely destroyed shingles.When you file a claim with your insurance company and have the roof replaced your insurance rates will go up
Old 01-29-2020, 06:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,493 Times in 672 Posts

What a nightmare!

Thank you OP, for letting everyone know...so that it doesn't happen to someone else.

Good luck.
Old 01-29-2020, 08:15 AM

are they licensed and insured for starters? there are a lot of them out there just waiting for your call
Old 01-29-2020, 08:51 AM

Yes they are licensed and insured not sure that helped. I have a claim into his insurance for water damage when the roof was off. They sent out an adjuster still waiting to see what they will pay.
Old 01-29-2020, 09:06 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,662 Times in 527 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I disagree. I have done many construction projects over the years, several in excess of $100K, and I have never paid any money in advance. A good contractor will sign a contract and have sufficient assets or credit to fund the project startup. Any contractor who needs money before starting work is a contractor who I won't do business with.
Well I disagree.
I was in construction for 39yrs and it's always been
one third deposit at the start with contract, one third payment at the middle and the final third when the job is complete and the customer is 100% satisfied.
You can never trust those damn homeowners

Steve

Last edited by anothersteve; 01-29-2020 at 09:59 AM.
Old 01-29-2020, 09:30 AM

Sorry to hear your story. Never, never ever pay anything upfront to any contractor. You need to make they have not put a lein on your home, chect with the county.
Old 01-29-2020, 09:59 AM
Default May I ask who is doing your stucco work.

we are having some roofing done and will need someone to repair stucco afterward.
Be kind to one another... Ephesians 4:32
Old 01-29-2020, 11:40 AM
Investment Painting Contractors Investment Painting Contractors is offline
TOTV SPONSOR
Default Money up front

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
Well I disagree.
I was in construction for 39yrs and it's always been
one third deposit at the start with contract, one third payment at the middle and the final third when the job is complete and the customer is 100% satisfied.
You can never trust those damn homeowners

Steve
Steve I agree, I have over 40 years in the Biz and would never do a $100,000 job without draws. $2000 t0 $5000 maybe. Depends on the account. Len
Old 01-29-2020, 01:38 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
OP, please contact Seniors against crime and file a complaint. Then check to see if any liens have been filed on your house, if so, report these to SAG also. As noted above you can get a attorney but SAG is free, part of the Florida Attorney General, and may get the results you want.
Thanks for sharing this info
Old 01-29-2020, 01:40 PM

It seems like you have to cross your fingers and toes hoping that a contracted job will come out well. We used Melton Construction for one job and All Season Rooms to enclose our lanai. We were very happy with both contractors. Landscapers & lawn maintenance were a whole other issue. The first landscaper was a nightmare and the lawn guy just disappeared with our and other clients money. Welcome to Florida!
Old 01-30-2020, 05:32 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via MSN to Bryan

For those worrying about making sure subcontractors are paid, Florida has something called a "Release of Lien". Contact Seniors Vs Crime or the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation for more details.
Closed Thread

Tags
back, house, money, contractor, kitchen

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.