Deans or Masseys for lawn fertilizing and pest control?

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Old 02-21-2020, 06:50 AM

I had Massey for 6 years last year I fired them and hired Deans. Last 2 years with Massey bushes died, lawn looked horrible, supervisors came - waste of my time. Deans so far is good, technicians experienced, customer service great. Price wise they are all overpriced. Same as overpriced lawn cutters who you pay for months of not cutting your lawn in winter. Deans Termite coverage is fairly priced you don’t pay outright for it. They add a small amount to upcoming bills. We retire -live on fixed income and the prices we pay for services here to maintain our homes are all overpriced ( especially Comcast). 1-800-pest company gave me an estimate and wanted prepay for the year.
Old 02-21-2020, 06:50 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,011 Times in 271 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Massey has been fertilizing my flower beds and grass since the house was built 2007. One short palm tree has died this year and several small bushes of flowers are dead. Empty Nest carefully sets the irrigation to conditions every week. I don’t know what to think. Deans seems to give me different prices for the same (termite) service and now I feel confused.

If you have used these companies, please advise me.
We are very happy with superior services. The are a branch of 1-800PEST CONTROL. Have used them for 10 years.
Old 02-21-2020, 07:24 AM

Whoever you decide on, avoid TruGreen like the plague. Has them for less than a year, and TWICE the person who serviced my lawn drove up and sat in his truck for about five minutes, filled out an invoice, stuck it in my door and then left. NO SERVICE PERFORMED! First time I called their office and they apologized and sent somebody else right away and did the service. Second time I just told them to forget it and they were fired.
Old 02-21-2020, 08:13 AM
Default Dean Inflexibility

I eliminated Dean's also due to their payment policy. I am currently using Massey with mixed results so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I have had Massey for lawn fertilizing, pest control, and termites for 4 years. I think they are a good, reliable company. I would have hired Dean's, but their policy to require a credit card on file for them to charge at will is a deal breaker for me, and they are totally inflexible on that policy. The builder used to hire KB to install the new house sprinkler systems, but they fired them. My one experience with KB to demonstrate my new sprinkler system under warranty was a complete disaster. The guy they sent was about as rude as anyone could be. So, I won't do any business with them.
Old 02-21-2020, 08:21 AM

I fired Dean's last month caught on camera saying they sprayed our bushes and billed me for their services.
They did not deny the charges when provided proof and refunded our money. Would not recommend Dean's Services.
Old 02-21-2020, 08:26 AM
theruizs

We tried them both for lawn care and they start out ok but the trail off in quality of the work. They just want to do a cookie cutter style lawn care and not really customize it well for your yard. We have kept Massey for annual termite treatments but went to TrueGreen for the rest except lawn care. We use Trish Barnett and her people for lawn & shrubs trimming, they are awesome. Mostly a family operation. I like it because they actually talk to me each time and we work out anything that needs done or doesn’t, etc. each time. Trish Barnett 352-434-1132.
Old 02-21-2020, 08:30 AM

Massey is one of the worst companies I have ever done business with. They are great at billing. They are less than useless in explaining what they do and when they do it. Moreover, if one has a problem with their lawn maintenance, it seems to result in and "Oh promise me situation". I hired Massey to tend my lawn. When I examined the lawn, I found it to be very weedy and just awful. After numerous complaints, they sent someone out who supervised the lawn improvement. Naturally, these things do not happen overnight. But, when I told them that I would pay them when I saw some results, they got rude and said that the bad lawns the Villages installs takes several years to bring up to par. Unbelieveable that they could not even give me a soft timetable as to when I could start seeing some results. When I contacted Dean's, they would only do business if I kept a credit card on file. Whew! So, I went with another company. Viola! Within three months, the lawn looks much much better.
Old 02-21-2020, 08:32 AM
Default Deans or Massey

Use Deans past 4 years. Very satisfied
Old 02-21-2020, 08:35 AM
Platinum member
Default spray inside for termites"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKoca View Post
I prefer Massey because they spray for termites inside the house, which Deans does not do. I have another company do the grass cutting and bush/tree trimming, and picking weeks, however. Local guy who does a better job.
i would love to know how they spray inside for termites. In the state of florida it is illegal to spray for termites unless you have active infestation or proof of activity on the nenewals each year.
Old 02-21-2020, 08:37 AM
Platinum member
Default attending classes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big guy View Post
Massey and Dean's are 2 of the best, not always perfect but they try. Massey's always attend extension programs concerning turfgrass. Dean's comes into the urban horticulturalist's office with questions and samples. No others do that.

We use Massey and have for 10 years. They are reasonable people. If I have a problem, I call a supervisor. He or she comes out, takes a look and we discuss a resolution.
they are required by the state to have employees attend and get so many credits each year. They do not do it voluntarily but are required by the state agriculture dept.
Old 02-21-2020, 08:51 AM
Default Deans

My neighbor did his own lawn and it looked great. He sold and the new owner went with Deans and now the spreading junipers are half dead and the lawn is brown. Not to mention whatever they are using has now stained my siding. The claim it's the water but never had this until they took over. Check the sprinklers and not even close to the stained area. I prefer a smaller company. I feel big companies are taking advantage of us.
Old 02-21-2020, 08:52 AM

I have used them all and finally settled with deans. They do a good job of keeping my lawn in shape. I don’t use anyone for bushes and trees as I fertilize myself. I have falcon for my termite bond tomorrow
Old 02-21-2020, 09:23 AM

As far as lawncare, all of these companies are able to green up a lawn well; even I can do that and did last year. But, the good companies are the ones that can treat a problem when it crops up, which I was not always able to do. Fertigator greened up my lawn after we moved into our new home, and then pretty much ignored me when I had problems. Fired them. TruGreen talked me into using them and they greened it up and then ignored me when I had problems, so fired them. Now using Massey because my neighbors used them. They came out and assessed the lawn, and were the first to suggest amending the soil with organic material and the lawn has never looked better since doing that. Got brown patch in an area and they came right out and it was gone pretty quick. Got some dollarweed, called and now gone. So far, so good.
Old 02-21-2020, 09:24 AM
Sage

We use Heron, they recommended every other month. 352-458-9512. We are very pleased with service
Old 02-21-2020, 09:28 AM
Default Dean's Services

Fired Dean's Services last month for not spraying my bushes.... caught on camera and billing me for their services. When provided proof they refunded my money.
Do not recommend Dean's Services as my bushes were covered with spiders and
dying as well for not being fertilized. Grass fertilization services questionable.
Very dis-honest and untrustworthy company. This is the biggest scams
with landscape service companies with chemical grass, pest control applied applications to households.
Closed Thread

Tags
deans, fertilizing, conditions, week, don’t

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.