Electrician to install portable generator transfer switch

Closed Thread
Old 09-14-2017, 09:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts
Default Electrician to install portable generator transfer switch

After experiencing what folks do with a portable generator at my son's house I have decided to have a transfer switch installed at my home. Eliminates the need for running multiple extensions. Plug in generator at designated box outside the the house.

Looking for electrician; recommendations?
Old 09-14-2017, 11:14 AM

following as we will probably bring the generator with us when we move down full-time next summer.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Integrity Electric 352-307-6335
Robert runs his own business. I have found him to responsive, knowledgeable and reasonable.
Old 12-26-2017, 08:53 AM

Integrity Electric 352-307-6335
Robert was excellent to work with and his pricing competitive. He installed garage and laundry lighting, under cabinet LED lighting, and can lighting in the kitchen. We highly recommend him and will have him install our transfer switch soon.

Last edited by RalphM; 12-26-2017 at 11:47 AM.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

I have used Lenhart's, ECI. R&A and Galaxy, and would recommend in that order. Also, when you are installing the transfer switch, have an OUTSIDE connection installed for the generator, you do NOT want this inside the garage. If you are worried about it walking off, have a suitable anchor bolt and then you can use a chain and lock to secure the generator. In any case, you want a suitable way to connect the generator to the transfer switch without having the generator inside the garage or house.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:45 AM
Sage
Default Electrician to install portable generator transfer switch

We used Trademark Electric ((352) 629-8617‬) from Ocala to install both our transfer switch and whole house generator this past May. Very happy with their work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 12-26-2017, 04:22 PM
Default Generator install

May I inquire as to what you paid for whole house generator with installation? I may invest in this as well.
Old 12-26-2017, 07:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I have used Lenhart's, ECI. R&A and Galaxy, and would recommend in that order. Also, when you are installing the transfer switch, have an OUTSIDE connection installed for the generator, you do NOT want this inside the garage. If you are worried about it walking off, have a suitable anchor bolt and then you can use a chain and lock to secure the generator. In any case, you want a suitable way to connect the generator to the transfer switch without having the generator inside the garage or house.
Whaaaaaaat? There are thieves in The Villages?

That is a good idea you have, VT. I'm going to get a transfer switch installed and I will concrete an anchor bolt in to secure my generator. It's a 5500 watt Generac that we bought in 2002 in Lafayette, LA when we had a hurricane threat there. It has moved with us from there to St. Louis to Kansas City to here; I fire it up every 2 weeks and put a load on it just to keep it ready.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:13 PM
Platinum member

Why
Old 12-27-2017, 07:08 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf2140 View Post
Why
You fire up the generator every few weeks to make sure it will be working when you needed and to make sure the oil is circulated.

When we had a Generac it automatically fired itself up weekly on its own and set a warning light if anything was wrong. A friend had one and his sent him an email with the test results weekly.
Old 12-27-2017, 08:14 AM
Veteran member

I'm baffled as to why people want to spend so much money on something that MIGHT get used once every 5 years or so. Add to that, when you need to use it, you won't be able to get gas to keep it going 24/7 for a few days.
I've been here for 5 years and 3 hurricanes and never lost power. I'd hate to think I'd have wasted that much money and precious storage space over something that really isn't needed. Especially when friends and neighbors are always willing to step up when you lose power and they don't.
Old 12-27-2017, 08:51 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4Boston View Post
May I inquire as to what you paid for whole house generator with installation? I may invest in this as well.

It was $8K for a 22KW generator installation, including the transfer switch. Mine was complicated by the fact that we don’t have natural gas south of 466A in TV. So...I bought a generator that was convertible to propane and buried a 250 gallon propane tank in my yard.

A side benefit is that I can also use the propane to fuel a gas stove - which we prefer over electric.

Old 12-27-2017, 08:54 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9871 View Post
You fire up the generator every few weeks to make sure it will be working when you needed and to make sure the oil is circulated.

When we had a Generac it automatically fired itself up weekly on its own and set a warning light if anything was wrong. A friend had one and his sent him an email with the test results weekly.

My new Generac does this. It sends me the test results weekly, let’s me monitor its status, and also sends alerts to TradeMark Electric when maintenance is required or an error has occurred. The technology is pretty cool.

Old 12-27-2017, 09:02 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by spring_chicken View Post
I'm baffled as to why people want to spend so much money on something that MIGHT get used once every 5 years or so. Add to that, when you need to use it, you won't be able to get gas to keep it going 24/7 for a few days.
I've been here for 5 years and 3 hurricanes and never lost power. I'd hate to think I'd have wasted that much money and precious storage space over something that really isn't needed. Especially when friends and neighbors are always willing to step up when you lose power and they don't.

It may be a waste of money for you, but there are plenty of others who would disagree. People with medical issues are a good example. Some can’t tolerate the heat and need A/C, others need them for electrical devices that keep them alive. I’m sure there are plenty of folks in the historic section that wish they had generators during Irma.

And you are assuming they run on gasoline. Mine runs off a very large propane tank buried under ground; others run on natural gas.

Old 12-27-2017, 09:04 AM
Gold member
Default Things you may want to think about

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
After experiencing what folks do with a portable generator at my son's house I have decided to have a transfer switch installed at my home. Eliminates the need for running multiple extensions. Plug in generator at designated box outside the the house.

Looking for electrician; recommendations?
During hurricane Sandy, we were in NY and were without power for almost a full week.

We did not have a generator but the people next door did.
First of all with power out he had trouble getting gasoline to run the generator. Sort of like that old Twilight Zone.
People first laughed, the compained about the noise and then they wanted to borrow his generator-amusing to watch. If, you already have a portable generator, and read the instructions, the time between oil changes is probably 24 hours.

Here, the biggest problem is that we have an all electric home and this place will quickly return to HOT and HUMID FLORIDA without being able to run your air conditioning.

OH can we run an extension cord to your generator.
Closed Thread

Tags
generator, house, portable, transfer, switch

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.