Mirror Resilvering

Closed Thread
Old 05-14-2015, 10:54 AM
Default Mirror Resilvering

Has anyone had a mirror resilvered in The Villages and if so where?
Old 05-15-2015, 07:18 AM

Thank you for your suggestion.
Old 05-14-2015, 07:38 PM
Veteran member

Their is no where in the entire state of Florida to have a mirror resilvered. Closest place I know of is outside Atlanta and the last I knew, price was about $25.00 per sq ft, plus shipping.

I am assuming that this is for a piece of furniture, is perhaps beveled and you would like to "save" it.

As an alternative, you can strip the old silver off the back of the mirror with muriatic acid (available from pool supply stores). In a WELL ventilated area, spray on the, using a basic plastic spray bottle and let it sit for 10-15 mins. Then while wearing gloves wipe down the silvering with paper towels and dispose of the towels in a heavy plastic trash bag. Repeat as needed until all the silvering comes off ..... it comes off surprisingly easy.

Then rinse clean with a water & baking soda mix to neutralize the acid.

Now, you can have a new piece of 1/4" mirror cut the exact size as you old "mirror" which is not just a piece of glass and "back" it. Make sure that the back of the old mirror and the front of the new one are VERY, VERY clean before you put them together. Now you have your old mirror looking like new.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.