Pack & Ship Rip-off

Closed Thread
Old 12-01-2020, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denbal82 View Post
They have also told me that USPS would be the same price regarding my package. I also thought $17.00 was high to mail my package with them. I walked out then went across the street to a USPS official branch and saved $9.00.

I will never ship from Pack n Ship.
I get my hair cut at a barbershop and never get clipped at pack and ship.
Old 12-01-2020, 08:10 AM
Veteran member

It's called "Support your local businesses". Yes, they are more expensive, but after using them for 9 years., I never had a problem with a package being delivered, and they are convenient. Remember, the bigger the box, the more expensive to ship. It's not only weight, so use the smallest box you can to ship.

"I never made a mistake in my live. I thought I did once, but I was wrong".
Old 12-01-2020, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Thanks. I'll have to try Publix next time I need food and see if I can save some money.
😂😂😂
Old 12-01-2020, 08:52 AM

I guess it depends on how much your time is worth. The people who own the Pack and Ship do a wonderful job. All the above comments are interesting. Good thing is, we live in a free country and you can pick where you go. Weigh your options, stay informed and do what’s best for yourself.
Old 12-01-2020, 09:10 AM

They wanted to charge $290 to mail a tube via DHL to China. Mailed it myself for $120 via DHL thru Walgreens. I don't mind a profit, but really?
Old 12-01-2020, 09:15 AM

I want my package to be secure,arrive safe in one piece. Pack and Ship accomplished that every time for over 12years.
They always give me options on the shipping, US POST, Fed Ex one day one week etc... cost depends on choice. Sure I can pack it myself and just label and go mail.Or I can be assured a treasure will be handled with professional care. Very pleased with the staff at Pack and Ship in Palm Plaza off of 466.
Old 12-01-2020, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
UPS charges $9.90 IIRC (used to be $5) for a 1 time home pickup as long as you have a preprinted prepaid label although some businesses like Amazon will offer a free UPS pickup if the return was their error. USPS doesn't charge for a pickup. In both cases you have to sit home all day waiting or leave the package at your front door. which I wouldn't suggest. Pack N Ship and Safe SHip gets a discount from the carriers but also has to make a PROFIT to pay the employees, pay the rent, pay for the A/C, pay for insurance. They can't do that selling mailing envelopes for $2. Think of it as a convenience fee and not a rip-off because it really isn't a rip-off.
Exactly! Needed a letter mailed with tracking and I went to PacknShip. The lady that served me informed me that I could save myself $4-5 if went to the USPS office. I figured it would cost me close to that just in gas. Thanked her for the info and had her process my letter.
Old 12-01-2020, 09:27 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by patfla06 View Post
Understand that the UPS Store gets discounted prices from UPS.
All the other pack & ships have to charge more because they
pay higher prices.
That’s why I never understood using the pack & ships.
I guess that’s why some people use Pack N Ship they don’t know the difference or it’s convenient for them. Makes you wonder how Pack N Ship stays in business!
Old 12-01-2020, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnbpoutney View Post
Just got back from Pack & Ship store on Bichara Blvd.. mailing a 3 lb package to Winter Haven size was 14x4x4”. Clerk at Pack n Ship said best price was USPS for $15.95. And UPS was $17.44. Then said would do the UPS for the same price.... thought I was getting a deal...
went home and decided that was a lot of money for mailing to Winter Haven... looked up the price for USPS ....the price was $8.70 and the UPS was $10.73... Also UPS will pick up at your door....... I don’t mind anyone making a buck but that was a ripoff...... last time I ever use the Pack & Ship places in the Villages.....
Rates are set by local owners. Anything in the villages pays 30% extra because of the rent they pay to the Morse family. That’s UPS FedEx etc

The only way to get around that is to go to a corporate location. Like most good convenient things that’s far away.
Old 12-01-2020, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
UPS charges $9.90 IIRC (used to be $5) for a 1 time home pickup as long as you have a preprinted prepaid label although some businesses like Amazon will offer a free UPS pickup if the return was their error. USPS doesn't charge for a pickup. In both cases you have to sit home all day waiting or leave the package at your front door. which I wouldn't suggest. Pack N Ship and Safe SHip gets a discount from the carriers but also has to make a PROFIT to pay the employees, pay the rent, pay for the A/C, pay for insurance. They can't do that selling mailing envelopes for $2. Think of it as a convenience fee and not a rip-off because it really isn't a rip-off.
It’s because they pay high rent to the Morse family so they mark up their rates. They own the commercial property ! It’s the privilege of living with the Morse’s
Old 12-01-2020, 09:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

I will continue to use Pack and Ship. They are convenient and do a great job. I strongly believe in supporting small businesses. It is a choice and I find their customer service excellent. I shop at Fresh Market because of the service a million times better then Walmart or Aldis.
Old 12-01-2020, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnbpoutney View Post
Just got back from Pack & Ship store on Bichara Blvd.. mailing a 3 lb package to Winter Haven size was 14x4x4”. Clerk at Pack n Ship said best price was USPS for $15.95. And UPS was $17.44. Then said would do the UPS for the same price.... thought I was getting a deal...
went home and decided that was a lot of money for mailing to Winter Haven... looked up the price for USPS ....the price was $8.70 and the UPS was $10.73... Also UPS will pick up at your door....... I don’t mind anyone making a buck but that was a ripoff...... last time I ever use the Pack & Ship places in the Villages.....
Post office also does free pickup. Use click and ship on the usps site. You print your own label and schedule the pickup all in a couple of easy steps.😊
Old 12-01-2020, 10:00 AM
Default Mostly agree - but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
it sounds like the pack and ship store is making a profit. How is that a misrepresentation?
i agree with you - but - not profit - even less... Because they have to cover overhead too!!! Rent... Utilities... Employees... Etc. The reality is - these businesses are set up for people buying "convenience."

do people claim that when they buy milk at a convenience store - and paying double for milk - they are being ripped off? Of course not!!!
Old 12-01-2020, 10:34 AM

Last time I used them they charged an extra $3.00 to put tape on a small box that was already completely taped! They also charge about 25% more for postage stamps so act accordingly and avoid them when possible.
Old 12-01-2020, 10:44 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfp509 View Post
I stopped using them a long time ago. They are a ripoff.
I am confused. Are you saying that you think it is unfair for a business to make a profit for services rendered?

Tags
ship, ups, price, pack, usps

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.