PODS cost

Closed Thread
Old 04-13-2011, 02:05 PM
Veteran member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbama View Post
We are not that far away, only about 400+. Our plan is to purchase a furnished pre-owned. I will sale my car, rent a U-Haul truck with a car dolly and tow my wife's car. As stated on other threads about moving, the biggest suggestion is downsize (i.e. dejunk), downsize, downsize. Unless you are buying a home in TV that is the same size as your current home, you will more than likely have too much "stuff". Therefore, you have paid for more POD space or other portable moving modules, just to donate a lot of stuff once you get to TV.

We are still about 18 months from making the move, so have not done any pricing. So, my suggestion for Taylor (original post) would be will you really need two cars? Is the size of your home in TV the same? Our TV home will be much smaller than our current one, so we don't want to get into trying to decide here which furniture would fit where down there. I'm selling my car because my car in TV will be a golf cart!! Any trips will be in my wife's car. When you look at the expense of driving two cars at $4.00 a gallon, plus the fact you and your wife will be driving separately. You both will be wore slap out from driving and then have to deal with unpacking and all the other headaches of a move.

We all have different moving needs and priorities. Ours is to bring a change of "shorts" and our golf clubs, plus a few keepsakes, which I should be able to get into a small or medium size U-Haul!!

Good luck to everyone making the "big" move! It is a challenge.
When my wife and i moved from long Island to Southern California we used a moving truck company. Worst experience of my life. They come to your home and give you an estimate then on the way from one state to another they actually get the exact weight and then call you before delivery and hold your stuff for ransom when they tell you the actual weight was much more than estimated and rip you off for extra thousands. The bottom line was we should of sold off all the furniture and could have bought new for close to what we spent moving. If I recall correctly the bill was over $7,000 at that time. When we come to TV everything will be sold first or given away.
Wanabee future TVer
Old 04-13-2011, 02:15 PM
Gold member

We rented the 6'x12' cargo trailer from u haul and drove over 1450 miles. Your not supposed to exceed 55 mph, which was a bummer with all the 18 wheelers passing you on 95. I remember praying alot. LOL We did it over a 2 day period, because it being a fairly heavy load. Sure was happy when we hit our driveway and got it unloaded.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:10 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I have used U-haul to furnish 3 homes in TV. One 17 foot and one 14 foot and one 10 foot trailer. Plus about 4 pick-up loads that looked like the Beverly Hillbillys. We are about 850 miles away. One thing I noticed about pricing U-Haul was that it really depended on timing. I would keep checking the web site and reserving another when the price was lower then canceling the last one reserved. There prices change depending on where there inventory is located. When an area gets more trucks and trailers then they need, the price drops. When I first reserved the first 17 foot truck, it was around $1200. By the time I picked it up a couple months later, I had it down to $650. I was able to pack our first home, 3 bedroom, 1900 sq ft in that first 17 foot truck. Took some planning, lots of pads, and some load adjusting, but it all fit.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:53 PM
Veteran member
Default Driving with a trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
I was thinking of getting a small trailer that attaches to the back of the car as I will not be bringing much stuff with me.

I looked on the U-Haul site and the cost was $273 for the trailer I would need to have.

Has anyone done this type of moving and what was your experience driving 2,000 miles?
When I used, I'm sure a much smaller trailer driving my daughter to school, ( home of the NCAA BB champs, she was there for their 1st) it was a slow go. 50- 55 MPH tops but you can try to go quicker. You'll have lot's of time to figure it out!

good luck!
Old 04-13-2011, 04:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
I was thinking of getting a small trailer that attaches to the back of the car as I will not be bringing much stuff with me.

I looked on the U-Haul site and the cost was $273 for the trailer I would need to have.

Has anyone done this type of moving and what was your experience driving 2,000 miles?
Being seasonal we travel down each fall. The first two years I towed a 5’ by 8’ UHAUL trailer with a Nissan Pathfinder. You should not go as fast as without a trailer and you will notice the trailer in the hills of Virginia if you take route 81, but overall it was not much different than the 1300 mile trip from MA normally is. Load per instructions and get your tongue weight correct. There were some very funny moments at the beginning for my wife watching me learn to back the trailer up at our home in MA. I would highly recommend a few minutes of practice in a safe place before your real trip. You do not want the first time you back up a trailer to be in a busy or tight situation.

PS. Sorry taylor, hope you do not mind the slight hijack.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:35 PM
Platinum member

We used a trailer from ABF in Sept 2010 after getting estimates from UHaul, United, Allied and Ryder and PODS. The problem with the moving companies was they wouldn't give us a date when they would arrive in FL. It was anywhere between 3-12 days. If it was 8-12 days or more it was ok with us but if it was less we wouldn't be here yet or have closed on the house and TV would not let them unload before we owned (understandable). PODS and ABF had the most flexibility. ABF dropped off the trailer, we (and nephews and neighbors kids) loaded it under the supervision of my husband. We had 3 days to load. They drove it down and held it for free for 3 days in Ocala then delivered it to our driveway between 1&3PM on the day we took ownership of the house and we had 3 days to unload. We hired 2 Charter School high school boys to unload (recommended here on TOTV) and they emptied that thing in 3 hours and placed contents in rooms under our supervision. They were amazing especially in 95+ heat. We called ABF and they picked up the next day 2 days earlier than we originally thought. Very pleased with the move. Also, United quoted us double the price Allied quoted which was weird.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljones190 View Post
We used ABF relocubes like others have noted. About 800.00 for their smalllest approx 6x7x8 from Mt. Laurel NJ to TV, worked very well, they even stored it for a month near Ocala waiting for our closing. I believe renting a truck is much more expensive but you will need to run the costs for gas, tolls etc. Go to ABF's website you can get an on-line quote, just fill in the details. Let us know how you make out since we will be moving down full time in a year or two and will be bringing more items.
I am getting information on PODS and Relocubes and ABF's linear foot deal in larger (pup) trailer too.

If...everything goes well and we are soon homeless... we may need storage for our stuff when we get there and POD offers climate controlled storage and that lock you lock on the end. Relocubes hold about a room of furniture. AND the use of their pup trailers are not as precise as to pick up and delivery.

I think it will cost us about 8K to get our stuff there and store it for a couple three months using PODS.

If we can get all this accomplished, and become homeless can the three of us and our kitties sleep on your lanai for awhile? We are no trouble.

We have already picked out our shopping cart for our day to day belongings.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:07 AM

Quote:

I have made 3 trips from Ohio to TV with a 15 ft. trailer. It takes an extra tank of gas towing the trailer. The trip is 1000 miles. I tow with a GMC Yukon XL which is a good sized SUV. I have no problem and feel safe traveling the posted speed limits. If your car is big enough to tow the trailer you need I would say go for it.

Bob
Old 06-15-2011, 10:15 AM

We used ABF Relocubes for our move from Allentown, PA to TV the end of March. We used 3 and the cost was less than $1,800; we were very pleased with the service. We had them in Allentown ~1 week and then they delivered them to the Village Pack and Storage for us.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:34 PM
Veteran member
Send a message via Yahoo to MelZ

Used PODS last July from Lower NYS cost was about $1500, when I spoke with them I did mention my quote from ABF for two of their cubes at that price, which PODS matched.

ABF has fewer depots than PODS so check and see if they will drop and pickup at starting point.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelZ View Post
Used PODS last July from Lower NYS cost was about $1500, when I spoke with them I did mention my quote from ABF for two of their cubes at that price, which PODS matched.

ABF has fewer depots than PODS so check and see if they will drop and pickup at starting point.
Wonder why my figures are so much higher.? I would guess that Cincy is about the same distance as NYC to TV...
Old 06-15-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulfrank View Post
You may also want to check ABF Relocubes.......not to be confused with ABF's buying a truck trailer by the foot....which is another option for many.

Frank
We used ABF relo cubes and found them to be a grand cheaper than the pods.
We moved from Ma.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:37 PM
Sage

We are going to have to store all of our belongings for about three months while we find something. Maybe that is the difference and the fact we are bringing all of our furniture.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:29 AM

Take a look at unitedmayflower dot com. They have cubes, too, and you can get an online quote.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:07 PM
Default do not use internet moving companies

Last year, we almost used a company I found on the Internet. The rep was so friendly, their website looked wonderful, and the price was great. Luckily, I checked with someone from the Commerce Commission...oooboy, the horror stories they had to tell. We had already sent them a deposit. I called them and said our home sale had fallen through. I didn't want to get into what I heard about them. Just be careful. Luckily we sold most of our "stuff" which made the cost much lower. Good luck
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.