Termite control/protection policies

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Old 04-01-2015, 10:07 AM
Sage
Cool

over $600 a year ??????????
Old 04-01-2015, 11:41 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
over $600 a year ??????????
Jimbo, you seemed shocked by the price. Please share the cost of your own termite, pest, landscape fertilization program. I'd be interested to know what others pay for a package for all of those services.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:04 PM
Sage

Less than $75-85 a year.

I prefer that's it's done correctly not by an $8 an hour employee.

So I DIY
Old 04-01-2015, 12:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Less than $75-85 a year.

So I DIY
Ok then. I don't have a person to do that for me consistently and was getting bugs, ants and spiders in my house and my grass was dying and had to be replaced once already. I am willing to pay for no bugs, green grass and no termites. I guess we all choose what we are willing to pay for.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:57 PM

Thanks all for thoughtful discussion.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
According to this termites can't survive here in the attic

Heat is a nonchemical option for treatments. Excessive heat kills drywood termites by disrupting cellular membranes and denaturing enzymes needed for their survival. The treatment process involves heating all wood in the structure to a minimum of 120F and holding this temperature for at least 33 minutes. The benefit of heat treatment is the ability to treat the entire structure without the use of chemicals and the relatively short period of time the structure must be vacated (hours instead of days, as with the use of fumigants)

If you've been in the attic here it gets well above 120 degrees here.

So that shouldn't be an issue, just continue to look at the foundation IMO.
The termites in my Jacksonville Florida home were in the 2nd story of the home - not the attic. When they opened the wall it looked like it was moving because of all the activity. If you want to believe tubes are the end all be all to termite activity go for it my friend. I learned this lesson the hard way.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
I wonder if those advising it's not necessary will also step up to the plate to cover any damage the termites that won't happen will cause. Do what is in your gut. I had termites in my attic space in North Carolina. No sign of tubes on the exterior. Also had them in the 2nd story of my Jacksonville Fla home (was maybe 8 years old). Small price to pay for peace of mind.
Good information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
I would not put termite insurance, pest control, and heartworm for dogs in the same category. You absolutely need to give your dog heartworm pills, the others are optional. If your dog contracts heartworm, he/she is in for a difficult treatment.
Yes, Heartworm is mandatory for dogs. Thanks for emphasizing that, I agree.
The reason I put it in the same category as termite insurance and pest control, is that contractors will tell you disaster awaits you if you don't have termite insurance and if you don't do pest control on a regular basis.
I'm not sure about termites and other pests, but I sure wouldn't skip heartworm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnieman View Post
Ok then. I don't have a person to do that for me consistently and was getting bugs, ants and spiders in my house and my grass was dying and had to be replaced once already. I am willing to pay for no bugs, green grass and no termites. I guess we all choose what we are willing to pay for.
And many residents are seasonal so we need someone to fight the bugs on our behalf.
Old 04-02-2015, 03:00 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Less than $75-85 a year.

So I DIY
I am in agreement with every single one of your posts on this thread (and most of what you say on other threads, too).

Unfortunately, people move here from other areas, distinctly different from from here. They are sold a bill of goods for their lawn, water, house, appliances, car, etc. The list is endless. I wish the general public would realize that these contracts benefit the seller, not the homeowner; that's why they stay in business!

AT a personal level, my husband and I, like you, take care of these things ourselves. Should we have a "real" problem, yes -- we will call a pro. Other than that, I just shake my head in wonderment at probably, 95% of this community, who are sucked in by uneducated neighbors and fast-talking salesmen.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:31 AM
Sage

And I "shake my head in wonderment" when someone assumes they have all the answers and knows what is best for everyone else.
Old 04-04-2015, 01:05 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
And I "shake my head in wonderment" when someone assumes they have all the answers and knows what is best for everyone else.
No, no one has all the answrs but you have to admit when someone new moves here, Villagers are vocal about all the services you MUST have, from pest control to the ultimate in lawn service, to health care, etc.

The truth of the matter is most of these things aren't true. I guess you've never wondered why there are so many of these companies in this area. You would also have to admit it's because this is such a huge senior enviroment and there is no one more vulnerable than people when they get older. That's why these companies are located here and they are raking in the cash in TV. To go a step further, most of the people selling the various services, including their worker bees, don't know their a$$ from their elbow!
Old 04-04-2015, 05:18 AM
Sage

Very true
Old 04-04-2015, 07:50 AM
Sage

I choose to give The Villagers the benefit of the doubt - that they're so nave as you say as feel more comfortable to have protection against things out of their control. Also in their retirement years, they choose to pay someone to take care of these things because they have worked hard all these years and now wish to sit back and relax.

Providing information for those that aren't familiar with their new environment is great. My problem is when it is done in a condescending manner.
Old 04-05-2015, 04:08 AM
Platinum member

[quote=gomoho;1040032]I choose to give The Villagers the benefit of the doubt - that they're so nave as you say as feel more comfortable to have protection against things out of their control. Also in their retirement years, they choose to pay someone to take care of these things because they have worked hard all these years and now wish to sit back and relax.

Providing information for those that aren't familiar with their new environment is great. My problem is when it is done in a condescending manner.[/quote]

Please tell me exactly what you find that is condescending?

When we first moved here, just about everyone we talked to, even casually, brought up that we had better get a termite contract. That we better have a pest control contract. That we need to have a lawn service company that offered everything from soup to nuts so that we were completely covered.

What garbage!

My husband was raised in southwest Florida since he was five. I originally moved to south Florida in 1983. Neither of us is "new" to Florida and neither of us -- separately or since we've been married, have ever had any of these contracts and we've never had a problem, with one exception. When it happened, the situation was taken care of by a professional in one visit, not a one year's contract!

We do not have any of these services. If and when we have an issue, we will take care of it. We do not believe in the indiscriminate use of pesticides which is rampant here in TV.

I ask you again . . . what is it that you find to be condescending???

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.