Water softeners needed?

Closed Thread
Old 12-26-2019, 08:52 AM
Default we use water filtered thru the fridge

Living on a budget here. So yes, drinking unfiltered water is... YUCK. I tried one time making coffee from unfiltered. Again... YUCK. So now I make coffee using water filtered through the fridge. Problem solved. We only drink water filtered through the fridge. We are happy with this solution.
Old 12-26-2019, 11:05 PM

Water quality depends on where in the Villages you live. North is much better than South. Fenney is City of Wildwood water, tastes terrible. I've lived here 19 years, our water is tasteless and only a slight chlorine odor. I do not have a softener or filter, we are getting water from the well that they bottle water to sell from. You have to decide if it is worth it or not.
Old 12-26-2019, 11:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,015 Times in 1,009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
I purchased Pelican.

Did a lot of research.

Nova is very popular in TV.
Thx for sharing
Old 12-26-2019, 11:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,015 Times in 1,009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy619 View Post
Living on a budget here. So yes, drinking unfiltered water is... YUCK. I tried one time making coffee from unfiltered. Again... YUCK. So now I make coffee using water filtered through the fridge. Problem solved. We only drink water filtered through the fridge. We are happy with this solution.
do you, by any chance, know how to change the filter in the refrigerator water? nothing in our owner's manual addresses it
Old 12-27-2019, 05:45 AM

I had water softener in NJ. We only used it for hot water. This covered showers, dishwasher, and washing clothes without drinking excess salt.
Old 12-27-2019, 08:55 AM

I bought the Nova system as well. It was about 650 installed. I wasn't about to try to buy one at HD and install it myself. That is a nother world. Very happy with the difference put a bypass in the refrigerator - don't need it anymore - tap water is great. Drinking tap water here or for coffee is a bad decision you will pay for it with frequent bowel issues.
Old 12-27-2019, 09:26 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northerner52 View Post
I know we are all bombarded with ads recommending water softeners. As I was reading my new refrigerator manual the other day I noticed they weren't recommended for ice makers as the salt can damage the ice maker. Mentioned it to a group people and a chiropractor said we should drink hard water, not water softened water.
Chiropractor is right, don't drink it!
Old 12-27-2019, 09:29 AM
Veteran member

I have a 3 stage whole home water filter by Express coupled with a ScaleBlaster (an electronic water conditioner). The filter is identical to the one sold by Nova, other than it has 3 separate pressure gauges (one for each filter) as opposed to one for the Nova. They use the same replacement filters. You can buy it online for $399, and it takes an afternoon to plumb it in.

The ScaleBlaster is not a water softener... but our water is not really hard, it just has a lot of calcium in it, and many folks think of this as hard water. In our area, it's only around 150ppm.

A water softener will remove the calcium. However, calcium is not bad for you - in fact it's a good mineral. The real issue is that all that calcium will leave stains on your fixtures and will build up in appliances (refrigerators, coffee makers, etc) over time. The ScaleBlaster uses current to ionize the calcium particles in the water and this causes the small particles to bond into larger particles. You still get the benefit of drinking calcium, but it reduces the waters ability to stain and cause build up tremendously.

The best part is - no salt or chemicals. Just install the ScaleBlaster, plug it in and let it run! I've been using it for 2 years now, and I love it!.
Old 12-27-2019, 09:55 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugMom View Post
do you, by any chance, know how to change the filter in the refrigerator water? nothing in our owner's manual addresses it
Check it out on Youtube
Old 12-27-2019, 10:15 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,751 Times in 3,627 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugmom View Post
do you, by any chance, know how to change the filter in the refrigerator water? Nothing in our owner's manual addresses it

shut the water off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-27-2019, 10:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,587 Times in 5,184 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugMom View Post
Most refrigerators have a filter located at the bottom near the floor. Open the small hinged door there, rotate the filter about a quarter turn counterclockwise and pull it out. Take it to Home Depot and buy a new one, which will come with instructions for installing it. Some refrigerators have the filter located inside the box near the top. If so, rotate it a quarter turn and remove it the same way. There is no need to turn off the water to replace the filter. If there is a red light lit inside the refrigerator door indicating the need to replace the filter, you can reset it by holding down the button for several seconds until the light changes to green, or pressing it several times within 10 seconds.
Old 12-27-2019, 01:12 PM

Hard water will eventually calcify the inside of your pipes. We used Nova Filtration. Very reasonable and. ITT does a great job. Good luck.
Old 12-27-2019, 03:23 PM
Angry Don't buy a System from Glazir Water.

We had a glazer water system they claim that it's the top of the line and use in the Space Station by NASA.

It never work that great and use a lot of salt. We now have a Kinetico Whole House System that works excellent. you always have clean condition water.

Don't be fool by Pelican or Nova buy a Kinetico Whole House system! :
Old 12-27-2019, 03:23 PM
Veteran member

Filtration, by itself (including whole home like Nova) will not reduce the hardness of the water nor will it remove calcium. You need a conditioner of some type for that. A water softener will remove the calcium, and an electronic conditioner will cause the calcium to not adhere to the pipe surfaces.
Old 12-28-2019, 08:15 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrvalley View Post
Filtration, by itself (including whole home like Nova) will not reduce the hardness of the water nor will it remove calcium. You need a conditioner of some type for that. A water softener will remove the calcium, and an electronic conditioner will cause the calcium to not adhere to the pipe surfaces.
Nova is filter not a softener, we install softeners also.

Now I don't think you should miss lead people here by saying calcium adheres to pipes, it does not.

Nova is in the biz over 40 years a name you can trust

Tags
water, ice, softeners, mentioned, salt

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.