Old 10-12-2020, 04:23 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageswimmer View Post
You’d better let the Bureau of Indian Affairs know that. See bia dot gov
Beat me to it.
Old 10-12-2020, 04:24 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,663 Times in 1,778 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageswimmer View Post
You’d better let the Bureau of Indian Affairs know that. See bia dot gov
New Mexico has an Indian Affairs Department. NM Indian Affairs Department |

This was one of my favorite tunes back in the day. George Jones*****(Eskimo Pie) - YouTube

and another. Running Bear Little White Dove Lyrics (Johnny Preston) - YouTube

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 10-12-2020 at 04:53 PM.
Old 10-12-2020, 05:01 PM

I will still call it Columbus Day.
Old 10-12-2020, 05:08 PM

"...I lived in Alexandria in the late 1960s and loved it but VA has gone down the tubes. The urban Northern Neck runs the whole state..." a quote from a commentator on this thread.

Just as a matter of clarification, the Northern Neck is not urban. It is actually quite rural. I think you mean Northern Virginia which has grown with highly educated, high income and compassionate people who care about their fellow human. It would seem that comments based upon experiences of a half century ago are not really very valid.

Virginia is a marvelous place...from its urban/suburban north to the capital area of Richmond to the rural areas of the Southwest (where the coal mines have not come back despite promises made and broken).

Anyone who comments upon Virginia without recent experience here in this great state is really just expressing an unfounded opinion. It is a state that is changing to meet the needs of its citizens!

Last edited by dougjb; 10-12-2020 at 05:09 PM. Reason: didn't capture the quote appropriately
Old 10-12-2020, 05:11 PM
Veteran member

Jesus Christ was not born at Christmas time it was a convenient time taken from Paganism.

True. The timing was a convenient way for Christians to celebrate so that they would not be significantly noticed, as the pagans were having their good time too. I don't think anyone knows when Christ was born. What I was trying to say is that the intent of the original holiday(s) is being obfuscated by contempary progressive mouthpieces.
Old 10-12-2020, 05:14 PM
Veteran member

To clarify, Washington's Birthday is still a Federal holiday.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but it's called "President's Day".
Old 10-12-2020, 05:20 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpalladino View Post
John, Indigenous people of American have not been call Indians for a very , very , long time. Also your sentence make no sense.
Fixed your post so it makes sense. I love irony.

John, Indigenous people of American have not been called Indians for a very, very, long time. Also, your sentence makes no sense.
Old 10-12-2020, 06:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjb View Post
"...I lived in Alexandria in the late 1960s and loved it but VA has gone down the tubes. The urban Northern Neck runs the whole state..." a quote from a commentator on this thread.

Just as a matter of clarification, the Northern Neck is not urban. It is actually quite rural. I think you mean Northern Virginia which has grown with highly educated, high income and compassionate people who care about their fellow human. It would seem that comments based upon experiences of a half century ago are not really very valid.

Virginia is a marvelous place...from its urban/suburban north to the capital area of Richmond to the rural areas of the Southwest (where the coal mines have not come back despite promises made and broken).

Anyone who comments upon Virginia without recent experience here in this great state is really just expressing an unfounded opinion. It is a state that is changing to meet the needs of its citizens!
You are correct. I intended Northern Virginia.

Well, I am glad this statue was moved to another location as I remember what a pain it was driving around it. Alexandria's Confederate Statue Removed from Old Town Intersection - Alexandria Living Magazine

I am sorry to see Collingwood was demolished as I enjoyed going there for dinner in its restaurant. Historic Collingwood Estate to be Demolished - Alexandria Living Magazine

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 10-12-2020 at 06:57 PM.
Old 10-12-2020, 07:47 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Humans are not native to America and therefore there cannot be any "native" Americans. Nor can there be any "indigenous" Americans since that term means "originating from", and paleontologists agree that the first humans on this continent came over the Bering land bridge from Asia 16,000 years ago. So the correct name should be First Settlers.

Of course, as with ANY part of this planet's land mass over the millennia, people migrate, fight, and take over areas from others.Nothing different here from the Huns sacking Rome, the Vikings raiding Britain, or the Spanish invading South and Central America. Get over it. We all came from Africa.
Old 10-12-2020, 08:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,274 Times in 2,833 Posts

Happy Columbus day everyone. What a beautiful day today it was in the Villages Had one of the best days of golf in my life today at Malory. It’s all good!
Old 10-14-2020, 06:59 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,136 Times in 1,359 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjb View Post

Would be great to give northern virginia to dc and make their own state.

The Northern Neck is a great rural area along the Chesapeake Bay.

Last edited by Bay Kid; 10-14-2020 at 07:06 AM.
Old 10-14-2020, 07:05 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,136 Times in 1,359 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC and John View Post
As a Federal employee, we all looked forward to a 3 day weekend. It’s a US Federal holiday.
As a hard working person with a non government job it is a shame we must pay for government holidays with our tax money as we go to work with no paid holidays.

Maybe the government should pay every working American a days wage for these man made holidays? Everybody loves free stuff.
Old 10-14-2020, 07:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,297 Times in 5,461 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
One of my maternal uncles worked at Ft. Eustis and lived in Newport News and Hampton, VA from the 1940s until the 1990s. An aunt lived in Roanoke. I lived in Alexandria in the late 1960s and loved it but VA has gone down the tubes. The urban Northern Neck runs the whole state (not unlike TV running otherwise rural Sumter County). The remainder of the state is not happy about it, either.
Actually we came here from Roanoke living there for 30 years.

Once upon a time West Va split off from Va and who knows perhaps northern Va will do the same,
Old 10-14-2020, 09:01 AM

I was just thinking . . . who makes these crazy decisions for us? "They" just decide to change Columbus Day to Indigenous Peoples Day because they want to? Because they are so WOKE and smarter than the rest of us? Did they ask anyone? Did they question their constituents? Did anyone vote for this? No. "They" just know what's better for us and our opinion doesn't matter I guess.
Old 10-14-2020, 09:13 AM
Sage

One of the latest despicable actions in N VA. More Va. Schools Using Kids As Guinea Pigs For Critical Race Theory

Closed Thread

Tags
day, columbus, paid, virginia, october

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.