Crumbley Sentencing

Old 04-10-2024, 11:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,064 Times in 2,540 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
One 13 year old can be totally responsible with a firearm, another not. It’s poor judgment in the case you have brought up. Maybe the parents were mountain people wanna bees transplanted to the urban world? The Montana wilderness is much different than Detroit. Some do live in the Old Disney 60s mentality you know.

Agree Detroit much worse.
Old 04-11-2024, 04:44 AM

Most of your argument is Whataboutism. Well, maybe the parents of thosenother juveniles should be charged.

What is relevant to the crumbly case is that the parents were found negligent. They were neither responsible parents or responsible gun owners.The evidence presented by the prosecution must have been compelling to the jury.
Old 04-11-2024, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugMom View Post
i agree, they should've had him removed from school, & checked out @ local hosp
Agree they should have, but then what? The most they can do is a 72 hour hold. Few places you can get a in-patient treatment, and they are super expensive. And Teenagers are renowned for being overdramatic.

These parents handled it very wrong. But there is no manual that tells you when your kid is normal, just a little screwed up, or majorly screwed up.
Old 04-11-2024, 06:46 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,177 Times in 586 Posts
Default Prosecution Conflicts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgodin View Post
Most of your argument is Whataboutism. Well, maybe the parents of thosenother juveniles should be charged.

What is relevant to the crumbly case is that the parents were found negligent. They were neither responsible parents or responsible gun owners.The evidence presented by the prosecution must have been compelling to the jury.

I have an issue with the prosecutor. How can a perpetrator be tried, convicted and sentenced as an adult, but then not be an adult when the parents are brought in for their trial? Which is it? You can’t have your cake and eat it too. I wouldn’t go so far as to give these parents the parent of the year award, and I do see a conflict in the legal system’s conflation use for convenience.

“Everyone may not be good, but there's always something good in everyone. Never judge anyone shortly because every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” - Oscar Wilde
Old 04-11-2024, 08:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,814 Times in 1,568 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
I have an issue with the prosecutor. How can a perpetrator be tried, convicted and sentenced as an adult, but then not be an adult when the parents are brought in for their trial? Which is it? You can’t have your cake and eat it too. I wouldn’t go so far as to give these parents the parent of the year award, and I do see a conflict in the legal system’s conflation use for convenience.
Yes you can. Buy cake. Eat it. I do it often.
Kids are tried as adults often when committing heinous crimes. An adult (parent) may be charged with crimes for aiding the criminal in some manner. That is what happened. Not that hard to understand, imho.
Old 04-11-2024, 08:29 AM
Default Good to hear!

When parents are held accountable for their children's actions- there will be a lot fewer issues!!!
Old 04-11-2024, 08:34 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugchief View Post
If only. Unfortunately, each case is charged according to the agenda.
Agenda? You wouldn't be suggesting a conspiracy, would you?
Old 04-11-2024, 08:38 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4litehous View Post
When parents are held accountable for their children's actions- there will be a lot fewer issues!!!
Would be parents, take notice! You are responsible for the person you create.
Old 04-11-2024, 08:53 AM
Platinum member
Default Objectively

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
Yes you can. Buy cake. Eat it. I do it often.
Kids are tried as adults often when committing heinous crimes. An adult (parent) may be charged with crimes for aiding the criminal in some manner. That is what happened. Not that hard to understand, imho.
It’s called”grinding the axe” then grinding it again. It’s subjective.

“Everyone may not be good, but there's always something good in everyone. Never judge anyone shortly because every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” - Oscar Wilde
Old 04-11-2024, 11:57 AM

These POS parents are 100% liable along w the school. Especially w the evidence (drawings w suspicious writing) that was presented to the parents at the school mtg. Ethan’s backpack, locker, etc should have been checked. At the very least, he should have been sent home and had a mandatory psych check. This conviction is setting precedent for other parents who don’t want to take responsibility for their kids. Schools too need to take action. Hell, nowadays they will send your kid home for swearing. Don’t you think Ethan should have been sent home w an investigation?!
I’m totally OK w these negligent POS parents, who were in hiding and going to flee, getting 10-15yrs!

Born and raised in Michigan! 💙💛
Old 04-11-2024, 01:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,715 Times in 3,185 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold.wiser View Post
They are responsible for ignoring their son's pleas for help, not getting him proper psychiatric care, purchasing him a hand gun, and not properly securing the gun.
They definitely deserve to be held accountable, the extent of which will be debated for quite some time.
They didn't ignore his pleas for help. They intentionally and willfully dismissed them. They KNEW he had major emotional issues. They KNEW he was suffering from depression. They KNEW he needed mental health care. They KNEW he wanted to cause harm to people. So instead of just - ignoring it - or getting him help, they fed his sickness by buying him a 9mm semi-automatic gun.

They gave him permission to kill people, which they knew he had been at least thinking of doing. She told him not to get caught in the school - so she knew he was planning on it. She told him "don't do it" which means she knew he was going to use that gun.

She didn't call 911, or the police, or a therapist, or even the school principal. She didn't ignore it. It's almost as though his parents were proud that their boy was growing up to be just like his parents (who both had criminal histories).

They -literally- put that gun in his hand. So yes - they are responsible in part for the murders.
Old 04-11-2024, 01:15 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phylt View Post
We watched some of the sentencing. A 'slippery slope' as some legal analysts said.

BUT - yikes in this case, in THIS case it surely was correct for the parents to serve time.They both ignored serious mental issues with their son right up to the day of the shooting. Even bought HIM the gun that he used, several days before. Texts between the son and parents, right up to the shooting were so damning. And both of the parent's statements at the end were all about THEM, and little about the victims. If there is ANY case ripe for sentencing liable parents - THIS IS IT!!!

I always think of the VICTIMS - not the aggressors and convictees.
Agree. In this case. Can’t create too hard and fast of a rule. As far as the sentence, it was harsh but they won’t be serving that much time.
Old 04-11-2024, 01:24 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWilliams View Post
As long as they do the same to judges and politicians who allow repeat offenders and career criminals on the street.
That is an exceptionally good point you raise. Are not they contributing to future crimes by allowing repeat offending criminals to walk again and again??
Old 04-11-2024, 02:09 PM
Platinum member
Default School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy and Ed View Post
That is an exceptionally good point you raise. Are not they contributing to future crimes by allowing repeat offending criminals to walk again and again??
The school is certainly culpable. They had a large meeting about the boy and guns, wanted to send him home and never thought to search his backpack? There certainly have been a lot more student searches on a lot less grounds. If they thought it was so bad, why didn’t they pull him for in school suspension? He could have been doing work in the office.

Old 04-11-2024, 04:49 PM

To me the bigger question is why is this happening? We never had mass shootings in schools back in the 50s and 60s, in fact we had rifle teams in Texas and even New York. When I went to high school in the 70s me and my buddies took our shotguns to school to go shooting after. We didn’t shoot anybody. In most cases it’s a breakdown of the family unit and no father in the home.

Tags
murders, commit, crumbley, cities, parents

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.