FL Senate Bill 280 heads to DeSantis to sign

Old 03-09-2024, 04:49 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
A Connecticut governor went to prison twice for corruption. It was a huge state, and then national scandal. Check out John Rowland. His first jail term was 10 months in 2006. He'd resigned in 2004 because of the corruption charges. Then, he had a whole new set of charges, and was sentenced to 30 months, went in 2015 and got out in 2018.
As did the clown Governor of IL Blagojevich. 11 Governors in total have served jail time on Federal corruption charges. I’d list all the Mayors but I have a tee time on Tuesday!
Old 03-09-2024, 05:00 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,791 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
Perhaps your viewpoint is backwards?

Folks buy homes in Residential zoning districts, they have a reasonable right to assume that the home next door to them, won't become a hotel.

In most cases, a "hotel" is worth more than a "home".

If STR's are eliminated in areas where the didn't belong in the first place, status quo continues, albeit rolled back to where everything should have been in the first place.

Of course, some folks are all about how much money they can make and don't have any qualms about destabilizing the neighborhoods where they buy homes.
Your summary is quite true I believe, and would add since they do not live in the neighborhoods they impact, of course they don't care if they are destabilized. I tend to think in this community the word "motel" is more appropriate than "hotel", but that's just mho. I tend to think of hotels as having more services, a central lobby, etc. I wonder if many villages residents would have "passed" on investing in a home here if they had known there were no restrictions on such things ? Maybe it's not of much importance to most people ? Have no idea !
Old 03-09-2024, 05:29 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,227 Times in 803 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
Seriously ? A "professional" ? A sales person, no way. But, to each their own. I believe most people do have a reasonable idea of what their home is "worth", but also have noticed many tend to think their home is worth more than whatever and where ever the market happens to be in their locale. Had one neighbor in the villages get a market "analysis" from a sales person, WAY more than the owners had determined would be a "fair" price. They "argued" a bit for their preference, but gave in to the agent. Then month after month the AGENT suggested they LOWER the price, 5K, then 12K, kept wanting to drop it... interesting that it did finally sell at exactly the price the owners had told the agent they wanted to price it at initially, but the agent felt that their "valuation" just wasn't to be considered, too "unprofessional" probably LOL !
I won't dispute that happens, but "professionals" come with various degrees of competency, especially in the Real Estate business. I would have had 3 or 4 Brokers give me a market analysis.

As you alluded to, owner's really have no clue what their property is worth. They base their estimates on emotion and anecdotal stories they hear from neighbors or read on FaceBook.

Two commenters on here, went into long dissertations on how to do a "market analysis" on-line and completely left out the concept that LOCATION drives real estate values.

When I bought in TV, I had spend exactly 1 hour here. I went back to Boston, took out maps of TV and decided what was the best place in TV for me to live.

1. Which Square did I want to be close to? In a recent FaceBook poll, TV residents prefer Lake Sumter Landing, 2:1 over the other Squares. Easy choice.

2. Where were the golf courses I wanted to play, located?

3. I'm a less than 4 minute walk to a Regional Rec Center and 2 minutes to the community pool.

I'm between 466 & 466A and 3 minutes in my golf cart to Lake Sumter Landing.

That information is the intangible that drives real estate pricing and it's hard to quantify by a non-professional.

Take essentially the exact same house as mine, 2 miles in the wrong direction from Sumter, it's almost a 10% difference in selling pricing. Is it worth that much more? Of course it is. Location, location, location.

Those are things lay people don't understand.

I want to buy another home in TV, I want a 3 car garage. I need to be less than 5 minutes from Sumter Landing, without driving over a bridge. If you think I'm the only crazy person who thinks that way, you'd be mistaken.
Old 03-09-2024, 05:53 PM
Gold member

Quote:
I won't dispute that happens, but "professionals" come with various degrees of competency, especially in the Real Estate business. I would have had 3 or 4 Brokers give me a market analysis.

As you alluded to, owner's really have no clue what their property is worth. They base their estimates on emotion and anecdotal stories they hear from neighbors or read on FaceBook.

Two commenters on here, went into long dissertations on how to do a "market analysis" on-line and completely left out the concept that LOCATION drives real estate values.

When I bought in TV, I had spend exactly 1 hour here. I went back to Boston, took out maps of TV and decided what was the best place in TV for me to live.

1. Which Square did I want to be close to? In a recent FaceBook poll, TV residents prefer Lake Sumter Landing, 2:1 over the other Squares. Easy choice.

3. I'm a less than 4 minute walk to a Regional Rec Center and 2 minutes to the community pool.

That information is the intangible that drives real estate pricing and it's hard to quantify by a non-professional.

Take essentially the exact same house as mine, 2 miles in the wrong direction from Sumter, it's almost a 10% difference in selling pricing. Is it worth that much more? Of course it is. Location, location, location.

I want to buy another home in TV, I want a 3 car garage. I need to be less than 5 minutes from Sumter Landing, without driving over a bridge. If you think I'm the only crazy person who thinks that way, you'd be mistaken.
Good points. It really is in the eye of the beholder. You have to do your homework
Old 03-09-2024, 06:27 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
Good points. It really is in the eye of the beholder. You have to do your homework
I should note that I had the opportunity to live and work in Myrtle Beach in the early 90’s. My neighbors literally changed on a weekly basis. Sense of community is lacking in MB except when traditional summer tourist season ends and the true year round residents reappear. I wasn’t oblivious to this as I had that knowledge going in....but’s it’s a culture shock especially if you’re used to a bedroom community like the one I grew up in in New England. MB is a beach/golf destination, TV is an anomaly. Not too many ‘neighborhoods’ span 35+ square miles over three counties....and growing. Nobody tripped over the threshold blindly. You were sold on the concept by family, friends or sales presentations. That said, when you have this amount of construction and inventory with such widespread price points....it’s attractive. STR are not a new phenomenon...it’s basic supply and demand. In the case of TV, with no restrictions in place and none forthcoming, it is what it is.
Old 03-09-2024, 06:56 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
Location is always an intangible in a place like The Villages.

You have to guess (or hire a very savvy professional) to understand the implications.

In TV, my opinion is that the #1 influence on location (& therefore, pricing) is proximity to Sumter Landing. That may change when Eastport is done, but I think it's far enough away, not to affect the LSL neighborhoods.

In a traditional neighborhood in many parts of the USA (particularly the Northeast), SAT scores drive location, as much as most anything. Different phases of life, mean different priorities.
Old 03-09-2024, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Perhaps not

Where has any two or three bedroom house been torn down and replaced by a multi-unit facility with a front desk? You can name it a hotel to try to make your point but that doesn't change reality. It is still a single family home with the normal number of persons residing in it.

Folks should not make assumptions, folks should make themselves aware of laws and covenants and what rights they and their neighbors have. This discussion seems to be about buyer's remorse and a desire to take away neighbor's rights to quell that remorse.

STRs are currently situated exactly where they belong.

Demanding legislation that will result in vacant homes, an increase in homes on the market, the loss of property rights, increased restrictions and higher taxes just doesn't sound like a path to increased home values.
Hmmm, it sounds like someone has a vested interest in STR.
Old 03-09-2024, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymini View Post
STRs do not belong in this community. The renters simply do not care and neither do the owners or they would allow their house to be leased that way. They especially do not care about YOU, their neighbor. File a complaint? The renters are long gone before anything can be done. Rules can be enacted that restrict that behavior and they should be, restricted STRs would benefit our communities not hurt them. What are hotels for but STRs? Let them go the Waterfront Inn, the Brownwood Hotel or any of the other nearby hotels but keep them out of our communities.
Renting a hotel is not the same. You basically have a bedroom and bathroom; a house has a full kitchen and living room. And look at it this way, with STR’s you get rid of the tenant quickly.
Old 03-10-2024, 01:05 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

Brian, a poster stated she could not sell her home even with a $50,000 price reduction.

Your advice? Drop it another $50,000 and it will probably sell quickly.

Two of us felt this was not the best idea. We advised to go on VLS and look at the same model of home and compare your selling price with the similar models currently for sale. This is a surefire way to see if YOU ARE OVERPRICED.

The only person who gave a market analysis was you. I feel dropping the price by $100,000 on a whim is not the way to go.

On several of your comments, you continue to call other posters amateurs. You have no idea of anyone's background or experience. You post get a professional analysis. Yet, you feel equipped to provide a market analysis and advise a poster on her home that you have never seen. You are overpriced, you wrote. Drop it another $50,000. I find this a bit confusing.

Last edited by margaretmattson; 03-10-2024 at 02:16 AM.
Old 03-10-2024, 02:38 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

Location may be important to you. Others see a community that can be driven end to end in 30 minutes with golf courses, rec centers, and town squares equally spread throughout. One village is not better than the next.

These people, myself included, look at price and home features. We try to find the best deal. We recently bought a CYV $70,000 below market price with bond paid, completely renovated, maintenance free, an extended lanai that is glass enclosed with AC, large yard, and extended rooms and garage. All we had to do was move in. No extra work is needed.

Location was not a factor. We knew everything we want will be minutes away whichever village. The home we chose has three town squares, a plethora of golf courses, rec centers and a ridiculous amount of commercial under 12 minutes away in all directions. Many under 5 minutes. The furthest will be Eastport at 18 minutes away. With our cash savings and a home that requires little maintenance and no remodeling, we are planning many extravagant vacations.

This is a well-planned community with cookie cutter homes and amenities spread equally throughout. Some of us "amateurs" (as you describe us) are tickled pink when we SPEND LESS to get the SAME QUALITY of life.

Last edited by margaretmattson; 03-10-2024 at 03:42 AM.
Old 03-10-2024, 05:06 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretmattson View Post

Location may be important to you. Others see a community that can be driven end to end in 30 minutes with golf courses, rec centers, and town squares equally spread throughout. One village is not better than the next.
Location was not a factor. We knew everything we want will be minutes away whichever village. The home we chose has three town squares, a plethora of golf courses, rec centers and a ridiculous amount of commercial under 12 minutes away in all directions. Many under 5 minutes. The furthest will be Eastport at 18 minutes away.
Quote:

On several of your comments, you continue to call other posters amateurs.
Thank you for proving my point.

Last edited by BrianL99; 03-10-2024 at 05:36 AM.
Old 03-10-2024, 07:01 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Thank you for proving my point.
The ENTIRE community can be driven end to end in 30 minutes. The ENTIRE community is full of golf courses and amenities all pretty much identical to each other. Each is minutes away from another. The ENTIRE community has cookie cutter homes. The ENTIRE community is located minutes away from town squares. My daughter is looking for a home. I'll tell her to look at the ENTIRE community for location, location, location. Thanks for pointing this out. We couldn't figure this out ourselves. Nice to have someone teaching us amateurs.

Last edited by margaretmattson; 03-10-2024 at 07:17 AM.
Old 03-10-2024, 07:08 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
The ENTIRE community can be driven end to end in 30 minutes. The ENTIRE community is full of golf courses and amenities all pretty much identical to each other. Each is minutes away from another. The ENTIRE community has cookie cutter homes. My daughter is looking for a home. I'll tell her to look at the ENTIRE community for location, location, location. Thanks for pointing this out. We couldn't figure this out ourselves. Nice to have someone teaching us amateurs.
You're welcome.
Old 03-10-2024, 09:49 AM
Gold member

Quote:

These people, myself included, look at price and home features. We try to find the best deal. We recently bought a CYV $70,000 below market price with bond paid, completely renovated, maintenance free, an extended lanai that is glass enclosed with AC, large yard, and extended rooms and garage. All we had to do was move in. No extra work is needed.

Location was not a factor. We knew everything we want will be minutes away whichever village. The home we chose has three town squares, a plethora of golf courses, rec centers and a ridiculous amount of commercial under 12 minutes away in all directions. Many under 5 minutes. The furthest will be Eastport at 18 minutes away. With our cash savings and a home that requires little maintenance and no remodeling, we are planning many extravagant vacations.

This is a well-planned community with cookie cutter homes and amenities spread equally throughout. Some of us "amateurs" (as you describe us) are tickled pink when we SPEND LESS to get the SAME QUALITY of life.
For context, can you tell us what the original price of the home you purchased was listed for? If it was a higher end home, then that would be a nominal drop in price.....if it was from a more entry level home then that would be a steal. Especially turnkey.
Old 03-10-2024, 09:50 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,184 Times in 591 Posts
Default Best

The best way for Florida to assure they get their revenue is to demand AirBnB, Verbo turn over payment receipt through their website to residents. They can either comply or be banned from the state.

“Everyone may not be good, but there's always something good in everyone. Never judge anyone shortly because every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” - Oscar Wilde

Tags
bill, penalties, registration, suspension, term

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.