Ford lost $32,000 per ev in 2nd quarter

Closed Thread
Old 09-19-2023, 11:29 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellmack View Post
There are a lot of misunderstanding that I hope I can clear up.
I'm a car guy from way back (mustangs to specific - sill have one) but my EV is the best car I've ever bought, by far. I don't think anyone in the government is dictating that we're all going to have to buy a new EV. I would suggest that car companies see how much better they are and how much easier they are to make and service so it's a no brainer that they go down the EV path. I got rear ended and needed to have my car repaired so I got a loner Mercedes SUV. It was as slow as molasses and the transmission made so much noise (at every acceleration) that it made me nervous to drive. I had to drive (10 minutes) to a gas station and fill up (another 10 minutes) with $75 of gas that lasted like two days. I charge my EV at night so I wake up with a full charge every morning (330 miles of range - thank you).

I'm on my second EV (nine years) and I have never once waited to charge my car. When I drive to Charleston or Florida I can't wait to get out of my car and stretch my legs for 20 minutes because that's how long it takes to charge to full.

I'm not an electrical engineer but I would bet that the "electrical grid" is being up dated on a continuous basis and I'd also bet that some pretty smart people are factoring EV use over the next 100 years. The only complaints about electrical grid problems that I've heard are from dooms day folks saying the world is going to explode because of EV's.

I for one love my EV, it's lightening fast, dirt cheap to drive, I NEVER use my brakes so no break dust on my wheels and I don't have to pay to have my break pads replaced (or my rotors cut), I don't pay for oil changes or transmission repairs or.....anything. A full charge costs about $18 - yee haw! Love it!
How does all this allow Ford to compete against lower cost EV makers. They will be the highest cost manufacturer.
Old 09-19-2023, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellmack View Post
There are a lot of misunderstanding that I hope I can clear up.
I'm a car guy from way back (mustangs to specific - sill have one) but my EV is the best car I've ever bought, by far. I don't think anyone in the government is dictating that we're all going to have to buy a new EV. I would suggest that car companies see how much better they are and how much easier they are to make and service so it's a no brainer that they go down the EV path. I got rear ended and needed to have my car repaired so I got a loner Mercedes SUV. It was as slow as molasses and the transmission made so much noise (at every acceleration) that it made me nervous to drive. I had to drive (10 minutes) to a gas station and fill up (another 10 minutes) with $75 of gas that lasted like two days. I charge my EV at night so I wake up with a full charge every morning (330 miles of range - thank you).

I'm on my second EV (nine years) and I have never once waited to charge my car. When I drive to Charleston or Florida I can't wait to get out of my car and stretch my legs for 20 minutes because that's how long it takes to charge to full.

I'm not an electrical engineer but I would bet that the "electrical grid" is being up dated on a continuous basis and I'd also bet that some pretty smart people are factoring EV use over the next 100 years. The only complaints about electrical grid problems that I've heard are from dooms day folks saying the world is going to explode because of EV's.

I for one love my EV, it's lightening fast, dirt cheap to drive, I NEVER use my brakes so no break dust on my wheels and I don't have to pay to have my break pads replaced (or my rotors cut), I don't pay for oil changes or transmission repairs or.....anything. A full charge costs about $18 - yee haw! Love it!
Ya, good analysis other than the paragraph about the grid. I have seen no evidence of upgrading; in fact if anything, it is the opposite. CA is particularly bad, but brown outs in the summer are common in a bunch of places. EVs will just add to that problem. And again, I own a Tesla.
Old 09-19-2023, 12:59 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,295 Times in 458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
Not why everyone is jumping on the EV, it’s a myth that it’s great for the environment.
Old 09-19-2023, 06:12 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,366 Times in 625 Posts

For those of you that have bought an EV, would you have bought it if there were no tax credit??
Old 09-20-2023, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
For those of you that have bought an EV, would you have bought it if there were no tax credit??
The credit figured in to the "total net cost" when deciding. So, no, I probably would not have spent another $7500 on my Tesla. But magically, when they ran out of credits, the price dropped by almost exactly the amount of the credit.

Reminds me of the government subsidizing college loans and then the price of college going up.
Old 09-20-2023, 08:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,928 Times in 1,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caymus View Post
How does all this allow Ford to compete against lower cost EV makers. They will be the highest cost manufacturer.
One way for Ford and the US Big 3 to be more competitive is to REDUCE the CEOs' salaries. They are all making around 20 MILLION dollars per year. Japanese CEOs make one or two MILLION per year.
Old 09-20-2023, 08:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,928 Times in 1,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugchief View Post
The credit figured in to the "total net cost" when deciding. So, no, I probably would not have spent another $7500 on my Tesla. But magically, when they ran out of credits, the price dropped by almost exactly the amount of the credit.

Reminds me of the government subsidizing college loans and then the price of college going up.
College Administration and CEOs of the Big 3 have one thing in common - they both make too much money.
Old 09-20-2023, 10:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,411 Times in 4,382 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
One way for Ford and the US Big 3 to be more competitive is to REDUCE the CEOs' salaries. They are all making around 20 MILLION dollars per year. Japanese CEOs make one or two MILLION per year.
Nonsense. That money, spread out over the union workers would barely be seen in their paychecks...

-Tom Petty
Old 09-20-2023, 11:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,365 Times in 5,490 Posts

To figure this out would need to have access to their cost accounting system
Old 09-20-2023, 05:39 PM

According to this article, the loss per vehicle is $60,000 not $32,000 which is even more shocking.

ford-to-lose-an-astonishing-amount-of-money-on-electric-cars
Old 09-20-2023, 06:44 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,366 Times in 625 Posts

For those with EVs, what is the longest period of time that you have had to wait for a charging station - and, after starting to charge, what is the longest time that it has taken to charge?

And what has been the average time?
Old 10-04-2023, 01:30 PM

Rivian, which like Tesla, exclusively manufactures EVs, also lost $33,000 per vehicle.

From the Wall Street Journal
Old 10-04-2023, 01:57 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Rivian, which like Tesla, exclusively manufactures EVs, also lost $33,000 per vehicle.

From the Wall Street Journal
All cars should be EVs. It is a small price to pay to prevent hurricanes, loss of coastland due to rising sea levels, floods, droughts, threats to biodiversity, and bad hair days.
Old 10-04-2023, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hizzonner1030 View Post
Many say that no one wants an EV. Go to to a dealers lot and try to buy one or even test drive. They sell faster than they are being manufactured.
Not sure where you are getting that. I recently read a report that GM has sold a total of 36,000 Ev's this year, Ford was something like 6,000 and Chryster something like 2,000.. This is out of the 14,000,000 that have been sold over the past 12 months. Outside of Tesla the big 3 aren't really selling any.
Old 10-04-2023, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Yes, it's ridiculous, but that's what they do: give other people your money, AKA redistribution. Sometimes it's to incentivize something they want to push, sometimes it's under the guise of attempting to equalize some perceived imbalance. Sometimes it's enriching their donors. Sometimes it's local pork projects. Etc, etc.

Good luck trying to make that stop, it is not anything new.
None of this matters, we are going to EV's. Look up BYD motors in China. They have become the #2 EV car maker in the world, and will shortly overtake Tesla in EVs. We are screwed.
Closed Thread

Tags
ford, plan, business, sound, lost

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.