Griner sentenced to 9 years

Closed Thread
Old 08-04-2022, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmertl View Post
My favorite statement so far is that the "Russians do not tolerate and even encourage criminals like we do". Really

This is the country that invaded Ukraine, is killing innocent citizens on a daily basis and is committing war crimes as a result.

They hunt down and try to kill, and do kill, dissidents no matter where they are in the world.

This is a kangaroo court that results in conviction over 99% of the time. The same "legal" system also locked Paul Whelan for 16 years for "espionage". Pure nonsense.

So I guess everybody is OK with the Whelan conviction also. So let's here all the Griner haters tell us true justice was done for Whelan. Or is the Russian system only correct when the convicted person is an African American professional basketball who won two gold medals for the US in the Olympics?
Didn’t take long to play the race card! We may not agree at all with the Russian system but it’s theirs as are all the other country’s judicial systems in this world unique to each. If you choose to travel outside our judicial system to not know the laws of their land, especially concerning drugs, is plain and simple stupid. By the way winning Olympic Gold Medals should not qualify for a get out of jail free card!
Old 08-04-2022, 08:19 PM
Veteran member

Yes, she did break their law and should not have, but she got 9 years because Russia hates the US right now. The sentence is insane. Hopefully, this will serve as a lesson to others to not travel in areas that are hostile to the US. Like with Britney and Warmbier, it may not go well.
Old 08-04-2022, 08:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,371 Times in 2,087 Posts
Unhappy

Quote:
God forbid, "disrespecting" Russia!!

Obviously satire, nobody could possibly be serious about such a stupid statement!
Satire. I kind of doubt it. They are very serious.
Old 08-04-2022, 08:31 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,687 Times in 1,784 Posts

I can't wait to see her Russian prison tats. I wonder if they will allow her to post them on instagram or other social media from the gulag.

She'll just love a Siberian winter!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 08-04-2022 at 08:43 PM.
Old 08-04-2022, 08:48 PM
Veteran member

So, you are happy that she was sentenced to 9 years...
Old 08-04-2022, 09:03 PM
Sage

Russian court gives Brittney Griner nine years on drugs charges | Russia-Ukraine war News | Al Jazeera

Al Jazeera is a fairly objective source of news.

They do not say it but I would not put it past Putin's goons from planting something to get a high level athlete in a bind and make her a political pawn.

Quote:
“I still don’t understand to this day how they ended up in my bag,” she told the court on July 27. “If I had to guess on how they ended up in my bags, I was in a rush packing.”
Old 08-04-2022, 09:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Russian court gives Brittney Griner nine years on drugs charges | Russia-Ukraine war News | Al Jazeera

Al Jazeera is a fairly objective source of news.

They do not say it but I would not put it past Putin's goons from planting something to get a high level athlete in a bind and make her a political pawn.
lol. She is a liar!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 08-04-2022 at 09:20 PM.
Old 08-04-2022, 09:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
My favorite statement so far is that the "Russians do not tolerate and even encourage criminals like we do". Really

This is the country that invaded Ukraine, is killing innocent citizens on a daily basis and is committing war crimes as a result.

They hunt down and try to kill, and do kill, dissidents no matter where they are in the world.

This is a kangaroo court that results in conviction over 99% of the time. The same "legal" system also locked Paul Whelan for 16 years for "espionage". Pure nonsense.

So I guess everybody is OK with the Whelan conviction also. So let's here all the Griner haters tell us true justice was done for Whelan. Or is the Russian system only correct when the convicted person is an African American professional basketball who won two gold medals for the US in the Olympics?
Whelan is a scumbag. Bad conduct discharge from the USMC. Lied about his academic credentials and much more.

Paul Whelan (security director - Wikipedia)

Old 08-04-2022, 10:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Whelan is a scumbag. Bad conduct discharge from the USMC. Lied about his academic credentials and much more.

Paul Whelan (security director - Wikipedia
Paul Whelan

More links to Paul Whelan.
Old 08-05-2022, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
How long will she spend in jail?

How long should she spend in jail?
I couldn’t care less.
Old 08-05-2022, 04:30 AM

It was not poor judgement, she did not pack it by mistake. If we bring her home, she should be made to serve her sentence here in the US.
Old 08-05-2022, 04:59 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,199 Times in 906 Posts

She deserved to pay a price for bringing drugs into Russia and lying to the court, but 9 years is crazy. It's not as if she was bringing a bunch to sell, it was obviously for personal use. Why should they care what she does to her own body? If it lead to a real crime, that I could understand, but 9 years in jail for a personal vape is insane IMO.
Old 08-05-2022, 05:05 AM
Location: Washington DC, Gaithersburg MD, Sebastian Fl, Orlando Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
How long will she spend in jail?

How long should she spend in jail?
No sympathy. You need to know the rules of the countries you travel to before you travel. She could’ve gotten 10 years she only got 9. Entitlement should get you nowhere when you break the law. I have no sympathy for Americans that don’t love America.
Old 08-05-2022, 05:18 AM

Many countries have hard and fast rules concerning drugs which are far severe then the US and if you get caught you will pay the price. I know a guy who got jammed up in Scotland for having pot and he too got several years in prison. She was told not to bring any drugs to Russia and she did and got caught and now she is a pawn that they can use to get what they want. She didn’t like standing for our national anthem but now she will have no choice but to respect Russia’s anthem
Old 08-05-2022, 05:58 AM

What’s the international law on trafficking? No biggie she took a knee whenever she could!! She only wanted to be American when it benefited her!
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
John Stuart Mill
Closed Thread

Tags
long, spend, jail, griner, sentenced

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.