National Home Foreclosures

Closed Thread
Old 06-09-2023, 11:00 AM
Default National Home Foreclosures

As the cost of living in the U.S. continues to climb, foreclosures are also on the rise.

May foreclosure-related filings, which include default notices, scheduled auctions and bank repossessions, were up 7% from April and up 14% from a year ago, to 35,196 properties, according to the real estate data group ATTOM.

Lenders began the foreclosure process on 23,245 properties in May, up 4% from last month and up 5% from a year ago. States with the most foreclosure starts in May included Florida, where 2,901 foreclosures got underway, followed by California, with 2,451 foreclosures started, and Texas, where 2,286 properties fell into the foreclosure column.
Old 06-09-2023, 11:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,427 Times in 5,513 Posts

Where are these numbers from?
Old 06-09-2023, 11:35 AM
Default Data

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
You did read: “ …according to the real estate data group ATTOM.” Right?
Old 06-09-2023, 11:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,018 Times in 5,376 Posts

The way to avoid foreclosures is to require a 20 percent down payment to buy a house.
Old 06-09-2023, 11:48 AM

Probably not.
Old 06-10-2023, 11:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,953 Times in 939 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
The way to avoid foreclosures is to require a 20 percent down payment to buy a house.
not sure how that relates to losing income to pay the mortgage, there are many ways which the average person can fall into a financial hole including an employment hole, and have a hard time paying a mortgage.

Both my prior boss and i were out of work for 3 years at different points in our lives, and not for lack of trying to get a job. . I even was hauled to court for not being able to pay child support, and again not for lack of trying. .
Old 06-10-2023, 11:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,018 Times in 5,376 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
not sure how that relates to losing income to pay the mortgage, there are many ways which the average person can fall into a financial hole including an employment hole, and have a hard time paying a mortgage.

Both my prior boss and i were out of work for 3 years at different points in our lives, and not for lack of trying to get a job. . I even was hauled to court for not being able to pay child support, and again not for lack of trying. .
I didn't say that it did. But, people who make a 20 percent down payment are much more likely to avoid a foreclosure, when the cost of living increases, than those who have little or no equity in their house. Obviously, if you depend on your income to make mortgage payments, and you lose your job, you cannot make the payments.
Old 06-10-2023, 05:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,736 Times in 3,197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I didn't say that it did. But, people who make a 20 percent down payment are much more likely to avoid a foreclosure, when the cost of living increases, than those who have little or no equity in their house. Obviously, if you depend on your income to make mortgage payments, and you lose your job, you cannot make the payments.
Which means that requiring a 20% downpayment doesn't make it more likely do do anything at all - other than make someone lose more, when their circumstances change and they're no longer able to pay for their mortgage.

If you don't depend on your income to make mortgage payments, you're less likely to need a mortgage in the first place.

We had almost all of our principal paid on our home up north, and were paying back a home equity loan to cover the cost of a roof replacement. And then - the company closed shop and put beloved spouse out of a job in a skilled trade where new-hires now come in at just barely higher than minimum wage. So he couldn't get a replacement job. We were going to move only 2 years later, but when the company pulled the plug we knew that we'd already be in foreclosure by then. That's why we came here when we did.

We had to sell our home and move to Florida to prevent foreclosure.
Old 06-10-2023, 06:12 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
This is an article from my newsfeed that mentions ATTOM.

Home foreclosures are rising nationwide, with Florida, California and Texas in the lead
Old 06-10-2023, 07:05 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,791 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post

I recently read that a significant uptick in FL foreclosures resulted from Ian, and in ways I had never suspected ! Stories I won't try to regurgitate here, but linked to how FEMA works (and doesn't work !) for so many people, people who thought they did everything right, paid high premiums to be fully insured, and so on. But, I had no idea that if the damage is even 1% OVER the 50% allowed (by FEMA as I understand it), then the structure must be repaired and rebuilt to much stiffer and much more expensive standards. Apparently many seniors who have been retired in the Sarasota and surrounding area, experienced over 50% damage, but even with full "replacement" value, the insurance checks fell far far short of the cost of building to the increased standards. Kind of between a "rock and a hard place", especially for people now on a fixed income. I DO understand that allowing these people to rebuild using only the "replacement cost" as per the insurance policy, minus FEMA requirements, does expose ALL of us to even higher rates should they have this happen again and did not have to rebuild to the new standards.... but, I also see "the other side of the coin", not knowing how we could rebuild if our "replacement cost" insurance did not cover the government's newest building requirements ! Many foreclosures on properties with significantly damaged homes. Have good friends who were fortunate, their lanai, pool, and one wing of home were under considered 30% so they were able to rebuild with the money their insurance provided. Their next door neighbors in the same development, experiences 60% damage, just 40 feet away !
Old 06-10-2023, 08:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,953 Times in 939 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
I recently read that a significant uptick in FL foreclosures resulted from Ian, and in ways I had never suspected ! Stories I won't try to regurgitate here, but linked to how FEMA works (and doesn't work !) for so many people, people who thought they did everything right, paid high premiums to be fully insured, and so on. But, I had no idea that if the damage is even 1% OVER the 50% allowed (by FEMA as I understand it), then the structure must be repaired and rebuilt to much stiffer and much more expensive standards. Apparently many seniors who have been retired in the Sarasota and surrounding area, experienced over 50% damage, but even with full "replacement" value, the insurance checks fell far far short of the cost of building to the increased standards. Kind of between a "rock and a hard place", especially for people now on a fixed income. I DO understand that allowing these people to rebuild using only the "replacement cost" as per the insurance policy, minus FEMA requirements, does expose ALL of us to even higher rates should they have this happen again and did not have to rebuild to the new standards.... but, I also see "the other side of the coin", not knowing how we could rebuild if our "replacement cost" insurance did not cover the government's newest building requirements ! Many foreclosures on properties with significantly damaged homes. Have good friends who were fortunate, their lanai, pool, and one wing of home were under considered 30% so they were able to rebuild with the money their insurance provided. Their next door neighbors in the same development, experiences 60% damage, just 40 feet away !
interesting stories! I wouldn't have thought anything about the rebuild to higher standards.

I will say one observation: we spent a week vacationing south of tampa near siesta key, and the traffic on 70 was ridiculous every day, south in the morning of contractor trucks towards Fort Myers / Naples and back home north in the late afternoon. . day after day, all contracting trucks and trailers

So the world can be counter intuitive for sure. .

20 days until retired finance guy
Old 06-10-2023, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boffin View Post
As the cost of living in the U.S. continues to climb, foreclosures are also on the rise.

May foreclosure-related filings, which include default notices, scheduled auctions and bank repossessions, were up 7% from April and up 14% from a year ago, to 35,196 properties, according to the real estate data group ATTOM.

Lenders began the foreclosure process on 23,245 properties in May, up 4% from last month and up 5% from a year ago. States with the most foreclosure starts in May included Florida, where 2,901 foreclosures got underway, followed by California, with 2,451 foreclosures started, and Texas, where 2,286 properties fell into the foreclosure column.
So what! My house is paid for and I live in the greatest place on earth. Been thru this multiple times and it did nothing to us.
Old 06-11-2023, 04:37 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
From Motley fool link, Typical single-family home value in the first quarter of 2023: $383,063
Median household income as a percentage of home value: 16%
The typical home in Florida is priced 15% higher than the typical U.S. home and the median household income in the state is 10% lower than the median U.S. income, resulting in a low income-to-home-value ratio and generating affordability concerns.( I would think the higher percentage of retired people here would modify the impact)
All the retirees arriving drive up home prices but at the same time bring money into the economie being spenders not taking jobs, significant dip in interest rates fueled a buying spike, encouraging some to bite off more than they could chew, phycology of boom and bust
Old 06-11-2023, 05:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,543 Times in 2,589 Posts

The problem is people borrow to the limit of their present income.
When prices, or interest rates rise, they have no extra finances to meet the new situation.
Borrow by all means, but give yourself a 10-15% increase leeway.
Always worked for us.

Retired non-financial guy.
Old 06-11-2023, 05:50 AM

Having worked in the Real estate industry for over 30 years as a Real Estate Appraiser in Western Pennsylvania I have been in many REO (Foreclosed) properties. Many before they were trashed out. The amount of damage, neglect and filth would indicate the occupant just did not care. Not true of all but of most of them. You don't have to be rich to clean.

Closed Thread

Tags
foreclosures, properties, foreclosure, ago, year

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.