The NFL

Closed Thread
Old 09-14-2020, 06:41 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,170 Times in 897 Posts

I'm not a fan of people using their professional venue to protest anything, but it sure won't prevent me from watching sports that I enjoy. Just turn on the TV after the anthem if you're so disturbed. Can't see you denying yourself sports as a useful way to show your discontent with the protestors.
Old 09-14-2020, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGVillages View Post
Some Folks Have Come to Despise the NFL...
For fans who follow the sport, most of this will be a simple reminder of things you already know. For the rest, it's a wake-up call:

In 2012 the NFL had an issue with Tim Tebow kneeling before each game to pray, they also had an issue with Tebow wearing John 3:16 as part of his eye-black to avoid glare, and made him take it off.

In 2013 the NFL fined Brandon Marshall for wearing green cleats to raise awareness for people with mental health disorders.

In 2014 Robert Griffin III (RG3) entered a post-game press conference wearing a shirt that said "Know Jesus Know Peace" but was forced to turn it inside out by an NFL uniform inspector before speaking at the podium.

In 2015 DeAngelo Williams was fined for wearing "Find the Cure "eye black for breast cancer awareness.

In 2015 William Gay was fined for wearing purple cleats to raise awareness for domestic violence. (Not that the NFL has a domestic violence problem..).

In 2016 the NFL prevented the Dallas Cowboys from wearing a decal on their helmet in honor of 5 Dallas Police officers killed in the line of duty.

2016 the NFL threatened to fine players who wanted to wear cleats to commemorate the 15th anniversary of 9/11.

So tell me again how the NFL supports free speech and expression. It seems quite clear based on these facts that the NFL has taken a position against any action by NFL players demonstrating RESPECT for any issue: For God, social causes such as mental health, cancer, domestic violence, for cops killed arbitrarily, for being cops, or for the Memory of 9/11...

BUT they will allow demonstrations of DISRESPECT for our National Flag, our National Anthem, for America, and for the American People, if it will help mollify a particular Group and its supporters. That is who and what the NFL now has shown itself to be.

That is eight years of a documented attitude by the NFL to America. Pass this post along to all your friends and family, if you believe it worthy of sharing. Honor our military; too many of whom have come home with the American Flag draped over their coffin.
Things change and ideas about what is appropriate/inappropriate evolve. Finally, the NFL has recognized that the players have lives and ideas outside of football. Get with the times - all or almost all of those causes could be advocated by NFL players today.
Old 09-14-2020, 06:58 AM

All but one Dallas Cowboy stood for the Anthem last night. I was happy about that, but if I owned the team, that one player would be looking for a job today!
Old 09-14-2020, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisbad1 View Post
Very well said!!
There are many different ways of showing respect. Just because someone shows it differently than you, doesn’t mean they aren’t showing respect.
Old 09-14-2020, 07:08 AM

No pro sports for me...and now no college.....followed OU football for 55 plus years...the combination of the idiotic lack of patriotism and LACK of unity along with the indoctrination campaign by the universities have completely turned me off to any and all activities by them...time is too precious to waste on idiots who only think of themselves.
Old 09-14-2020, 07:09 AM
Location: Native to West Palm Beach, FL I am renting current home, yet to decide if TV will be next move.

The NFL is a joke. I stopped watching football on Sunday’s years ago after my divorce.
I learned there are a million other activities I would rather do on a beautiful Sunday afternoon then spend several hours watching stupid commercials and a bunch of overrated, overhyped and overpaid street thugs.
Old 09-14-2020, 07:17 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown132 View Post
For all those saying go Steelers, go Chiefs, go Washington, maybe it’s time to reflect a little. I love football but have not watched them for two years now. It is funny the NFL shut down all those players who were trying to do some good but have caved in to a bunch of people who disrespect our flag and what it stands for. Yes they have a right to protest but so do I. If everyone who loves football would turn off their TV’s for one or two seasons the players, coaches and the wonderful commissioner would change course quickly as the people who pay their salaries would stop sponsoring them. So maybe if you could forgo your instant gratification and sacrifice just a little the NFL and this country might be a little better off.
People have been shutting off their TV’s since Kapernick knelt in 2017 why not just say another 4 seasons. Yet Fantasy FB is thriving. I don’t care what you do and you could not care what others do.
Old 09-14-2020, 07:20 AM

You all realize ALL the fines collected on the OP’s list go to CHARITABLE CAUSES . Players know that, proceed anyway and sometimes match the donation.

The NFL does not keep the money.

Also, since 2015 they are allowed to wear “charity related” cleats and can auction those cleats to generate donations to charities they support.

I Am not thrilled with what’s happening pre game either, but after doing some reading it’s clear all the facts Pertinent To this thread Were not presented.
Old 09-14-2020, 07:29 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieo1126@gmail.com View Post
This multi tour combat wounded paratrooper had a wonderful day watching football . You see I fought and many friends died for the right of others to live there life free to make any peaceful choices they choose .
Thank you for your service. Totally agree with your post
Old 09-14-2020, 07:29 AM

They are disgusting. Why should we watch a bunch of spoiled America haters playing a child’s game? NFL go to hell!
Old 09-14-2020, 07:32 AM

I was born a caucasian male, that I had no control of. I think that puts me in the 73% category in America, black people are 12.1%. I would think some of the 73% would be needed to address the issues of the 12.1%. I’m also a veteran and love my country. I am a Christian and try to love my fellow man (still working on this one). It angers me so much to see the disrespect to my flag that I don’t even want to hear the reason. Need to find a better way, this won’t work. I close my wallet.
Old 09-14-2020, 07:34 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromNY View Post
Let's protest by putting a list of sponsors out there and NOT BUY their products. Since I do not watch Help is needed in getting that list. We all know it's all about money!
Your idea I nominate you put up or __________. It’s so much easier for others to do the work.

Last edited by Dana1963; 09-14-2020 at 07:42 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-14-2020, 07:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,984 Times in 1,131 Posts

Some of us have bigger issues ??? I think not since I won all of the 3 games I bet yesterday. Huffing and puffing over something you say you didn’t watch makes me chuckle. I could have used all you flag waving patriots during my many years in Vietnam and Laos.
Old 09-14-2020, 08:20 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromDC View Post
Today, the Packers stayed in the locker room when they played the National Anthem. Disgusting.
So now your more offended at staying in locker room than knelling. You keep moving the goal post. Would you prefer them burning the flag that is disrespect!
Old 09-14-2020, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Yet, the NFL is showing a promotional ad today that says, "Football is a Microcosm of America".

Who agrees with that statement? I don't.
NFL is a business. Boycott them forever
Closed Thread

Tags
nfl, wearing, domestic, awareness, fined

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.