People are using short-term rentals to throw unruly parties

Closed Thread
Old 07-14-2023, 09:38 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,378 Times in 501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
I disagree, the Villages seems to disagree, Florida law seems to disagree, and HUD seems to disagree. Besides that, daily or weekly rentals have nothing to do with the section of the restrictions that you posted.

Do you have some proof that those restrictions are not being followed or are you just throwing things against a wall to see what might stick?
I am not debating the legality of what they are doing but I do feel they are misleading people about how much of an over 55 retirement community TV actually is. It’s definitely not what we were pitched years ago when we purchased.
Old 07-14-2023, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
Armed Guards and Shootings Plague Airbnb’s Party Ban | WIRED

That's the biggest problem with short term rentals,
the parties have moved from a hotel to a private residence. . .

something that CCDs should consider enforcing their covenants
This is still a private community.Why cant rules of renting provide legal recourse? Imagine a bunch of yahoos creating a late night early morning ruckus disrupting entire neighborhood. There must be something that can be done.
Old 07-14-2023, 10:37 AM
Default Short term rentals.

We just sold our home up north to move to TV full time. Our plan was to sell our courtyard villa and buy a bigger home but I’m starting to have second thought about living in TV full time because of all of the short term rentals.

Why on earth doesn’t The Villages at least restrict rentals to a month minimum! That would certainly cut down on a lot of the problems. Someone mentioned that Lakewood Ranch has a one month minimum for rentals. I’m going to consider looking there. I wish the powers that be would use some common sense.
Old 07-14-2023, 11:00 AM
Veteran member

Is it because investors buy several homes? It would be easy for the Developer to get rid of their inventory faster. Just call a known investor and say "Hey! We have just completed some new homes in your price range , how many do you want?". Do the deed restrictions address investors who have no intention of buying a home?
Old 07-14-2023, 01:59 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,625 Times in 595 Posts

One is not including full time residents, who have visitors, that treat host home like a nonstop party. Sometimes it’s hard to figure out an ab&b to someone who lives here full time, has non stop drop ins, and makes life miserable for those around them.

Last edited by thelegges; 07-14-2023 at 02:58 PM.
Old 07-15-2023, 10:06 AM

This is an absurd situation that was avoidable and should have been foreseen by the developer to curtail abuses and help the community retain its original intent which was to cater to those 55 + as a safe and sane place for their retirement. Now it’s become a vulgar, greed-driven, money-grab for the developer when the popularity of TV, and Florida itself, increased dramatically.

Again, other senior communities have enforceable restrictions as to purchase and resident age. Del Webb/Sun City has both. The only way you are allowed to have a person under 55 living at residence full-time is if you are their legal caregiver or guardian. The other is if a couple has an age difference where one is over 55 but the other is not. Obviously, that one is just common sense.
Closed Thread

Tags
parties, rentals, enforcing, ccds, residence

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.