Scottie Scheffler arrested.

Old 05-19-2024, 11:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,825 Times in 1,572 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robojo View Post
When did it change. It used to be I could walk down the street mind in my own business and if the cops told me to do something I could ignore them because I had not committed a crime. When did ignoring directives from a police officer actually become a crime when you had not previously been involved in a crime.

Sounds like dictatorship to me.
You really believe that you could ignore a police officer because you "believe" you had committed no crime? You are joking! There are any number of reasons police may have legitimate need to speak to you.
LEO, "Stop and don't move"! You, unaware of the situation, ignore the officer and walk into the line of fire. Smooth move, X-lax.

"Dictatorship." No, no, no! You are funny! 😁😆😄
Old 05-19-2024, 11:50 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,230 Times in 805 Posts

So it turns out, there were some other witnesses to the Scheffler incident.

Granted, the witness is probably somewhat biased toward Scottie, but his characterization of the scene, is exactly as many suspected. The cop was being a little over-zealous and anxious to show he was the boss.

‘Oh my God, it's Scottie Scheffler’: Eyewitness reveals new arrest details
Old 05-19-2024, 12:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,776 Times in 1,568 Posts

"An unfortunate confluence of events". Two people apparently seeing a situation from VERY different perspectives.

I doubt very much that Mr. Scheffler knew that there was an accident with fatalities involved and that the delay was more of an annoyance to him than anything else. By the same token I'd bet that the cop DID know that there was at least one fatality involved. So...an annoyance from one perspective, a possible matter of life and death from the other.

I'm taking the cop's side in this. I doubt he knew who was driving the car, and hopefully he cared even less. He was doing his job. Some folks may feel that he was doing so a bit more enthusiastically than he should have been, but that is a subjective point of view at best. I'd much rather have LEOs do their jobs from objective impartiality than to treat people differently based on their (assumed) importance.
Old 05-19-2024, 12:45 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,380 Times in 632 Posts

Question for cops or lawyers.

Scottie is charged with disregarding signals from an officer directing traffic and second-degree assault of a police officer.

Reports are that the cop was wearing a yellow raincoat and was not clearly identifiable as a police officer. If you don’t know that a person is a cop, can you be be charged with assaulting a cop or disregarding signals from a cop? Is intent an issue? If I am driving and a plain clothes officer tells me to turn left and I turn right, have I committed a crime?
Old 05-19-2024, 12:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,371 Times in 2,087 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post

Scottie is charged with disregarding signals from an officer directing traffic and second-degree assault of a police officer.

Reports are that the cop was wearing a yellow raincoat and was not clearly identifiable as a police officer. If you don’t know that a person is a cop, can you be be charged with assaulting a cop or disregarding signals from a cop? Is intent an issue? If I am driving and a plain clothes officer tells me to turn left and I turn right, have I committed a crime?
We're there flashing lights and the like there? It sounded like a person was killed right around there?
Old 05-19-2024, 01:21 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,193 Times in 595 Posts
Default Detective

The detective being dragged was no rookie. I’m willing to bet a nice under the table settlement clears everything up though.

“Everyone may not be good, but there's always something good in everyone. Never judge anyone shortly because every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” - Oscar Wilde
Old 05-19-2024, 02:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post

"Is intent an issue?" It is possibly a mitigating circumstance. Ex: You are trying to get to your tee time. You hit someone. You didn't intend to. But you did, and they die. Is it murder or manslaughter, or something else. You decide, Judge.
Old 05-19-2024, 02:15 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,380 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
We're there flashing lights and the like there? It sounded like a person was killed right around there?
Really doesn’t answer my question. In order to prosecute someone for assaulting a police officer and disregarding traffic signals from an officer directing traffic, do the police have to prove that you knew it was a cop?
Old 05-19-2024, 02:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
The detective being dragged was no rookie. I’m willing to bet a nice under the table settlement clears everything up though.
SS is rich, famous, and, to all accounts, a pretty nice guy. I wouldn’t exactly call it an under the table deal, but it will be explained away. No court case. Apologies all around for the misunderstanding. Officer will get neww pants and have SS sign the old ones for a trophy. He only people still talking about it will be on TOTV.
Old 05-19-2024, 02:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,425 Times in 4,394 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
I'm betting all charges will be dismissed...
Called it...

-Tom Petty

Tags
scheffler, arrested, charged, louisville, officer

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.