Is there a double standard at work here?

Closed Thread
Old 07-18-2020, 10:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,179 Times in 835 Posts

Quote:
StuFromNY
Would not want to be a police officer in a city where the police were so disrespected and know the city does not have their back no matter what happens.
my reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
And there is a nice defining difference between the two sides in this issue. One side wants the government to support the police "no matter what happens" The other side wants the government to support the citizens when the police are wrong.

Your rephrase: Originally Posted by BS Beef View Post
Quote:
That's a pretty big leap. I’d say one side wants support for the vast majority of the good police officers and swift, firm justice for the bad. And the other side wants rioting, looting, and anarchy.
This is not what I said. My comment was that certain quarters insist that police are always right and the exact language used by Stu was that he would not want to be a policeman if the government did not have his back NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS.

BLM does not support rioting or looting or anarchy. Those are the same tropes that were used to attack John Lewis and MLK, the anti-war protestors during Vietnam and the Gulf Wars.
Old 07-19-2020, 03:20 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
That mural was authorized by the city and painted by city workers.
Uh, no. Video shows it was DeBlasio, his wife and several other hanger ons that did the painting.
Old 07-19-2020, 03:33 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

[QUOTE=blueash;1805577
BLM does not support rioting or looting or anarchy. [/QUOTE]

Seriously? BLM is a Marxist organization dedicated to the overthrow of the Government and our current economic system. Read their Manifesto. They may profess to not support rioting and anarchy but their active cells country wide sure do. Where do you think the orders are coming from?
Old 07-19-2020, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
The message in front of Trump Tower was painted by people who applied to the city with a permit to do so, and that permit was granted. It was intended to be temporary, it was in the category of artwork, such as a mural.

The vandals were just vandals who wanted to ruin something someone else did.
How are these vandals any different than the vandals painting on private property or on the public property during supposed peaceful demonstrations? Why does not the people running the cities have those individuals or mobs arrested? Just a question that continues the logical thought process.
Old 07-19-2020, 04:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

How did they ever get a permit approve Good Ol boy club
Old 07-20-2020, 06:07 AM
Default speaking of a double standard ...

"no political references are allowed on the website."
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	totv.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	85343  
Old 07-20-2020, 06:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
Uh, no. Video shows it was DeBlasio, his wife and several other hanger ons that did the painting.

(CNN)New York City is painting a Black Lives Matter mural on the street directly outside of Trump Tower in Midtown Manhattan.

City employees began painting a stretch of Fifth Avenue, just in front of the Trump Organization's headquarters, on Thursday morning. Mayor Bill de Blasio authorized the stark yellow mural earlier this month.

Black Lives Matter mural painted outside Trump Tower in Manhattan - CNN

And don't tell me CNN is a fake news channel.
Old 07-20-2020, 07:02 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thumbs down New York Police

I was raised in New York, worked in the city for many years both in lower Manhattan and Midtown. The police were always friendly and helpful. Now the inmates have taken over the asylum! It was once said that the United States would never be defeated from "with out" but only from "within". That is exactly what is being attempted today. I am sure as has been said many times that the protestors/thugs/etc. are not just random but rather well organized! The persecution of some of the Afro-American's is playing right into their hands and are again being abused by these criminal anti American's. Did you see the articale in the Sunday times which indicated the Villager's are "evil" and promoted that one protester who embarased us to the world? Nothing like this happens without consequences and that's the next shoe to fall. As I have said, those that want to throw slings and arrows at this, have at it.
Old 07-20-2020, 10:33 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyc234 View Post
How are these vandals any different than the vandals painting on private property or on the public property during supposed peaceful demonstrations? Why does not the people running the cities have those individuals or mobs arrested? Just a question that continues the logical thought process.
And a good process. John Lewis spoke of "good trouble" by which he meant civil protest even civil disobedience to further a righteous cause. And for those acts he was more than willing to accept arrest which happened not just to Lewis but to so many others.
There have been arrests in the present and ongoing protests for acts of "good trouble" There have been arrests for destruction of statues. There have been arrests for breaking curfews. There have been arrests for refusing to disperse. There have been what many regard as kidnapping by unknown agents of people walking down the street and never charged or given a reason for their detention. And yes, there have been arrests of people for defacing the BLM street painting. If you commit such acts you accept the risk of arrest. I am sure those who are being arrested knew that when they acted and felt their acts were "good trouble" YMMV
Old 07-20-2020, 10:51 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
I was raised in New York, worked in the city for many years both in lower Manhattan and Midtown. The police were always friendly and helpful.
Your experience may not be the same as to the general attitude of police. Your post is the definition of white privilege, from which I also benefitted and continue to benefit. You believe your positive experiences with police provide a framework upon which you then assert that therefore all people have the same experience. It isn't so.

Only now with ubiquitous cellphone cameras is the way in which POC too often are subjected to authoritarian abuse by LEOs being seen. You can easily dismiss this as it is contrary to your experience. But when POC tell you that they see everyday interaction with LEOs as being fraught, you should believe them. They believe your assertion that you have never had a problem with police being difficult.
Old 07-20-2020, 11:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Your experience may not be the same as to the general attitude of police. Your post is the definition of white privilege, from which I also benefitted and continue to benefit. You believe your positive experiences with police provide a framework upon which you then assert that therefore all people have the same experience. It isn't so.

Only now with ubiquitous cellphone cameras is the way in which POC too often are subjected to authoritarian abuse by LEOs being seen. You can easily dismiss this as it is contrary to your experience. But when POC tell you that they see everyday interaction with LEOs as being fraught, you should believe them. They believe your assertion that you have never had a problem with police being difficult.
Yes there are bullies and bastards who wear the law enforcement badge. How can I say this, I think that law abiding people do not get rough treatment. Maybe some L.E.O.s should try being an MD for awhile and MD's should try being in law enforcement. I bet that soon there would not be overuse of antibiotics and requests for handicap parking among police and more requests for freedom to restrain from the MD's.

It all looks simple until you walk in the shoes.
Old 07-20-2020, 12:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvic 1 View Post
Since when does Al Sharpton work for the City of New York, he should be arrested for putting graffiti onto streets.
Here is a picture of a Non-City workers laying yellow paint on the street.

That's the first honest days work they have ever preformed
Old 07-20-2020, 12:27 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts

Quote:

I believe a whole lot of people need to really think about the excellent points you are making. If abuse and excessive force is occurring by LEO's in this day and age when they know they are being filmed, yet don't even seem to care, the question has to be asked as to what was happening prior to everyone having the ability to film these interactions? While I also want to believe that it is just a small percentage of those in power and authority that are doing it, the fact that it still keeps happening with mostly little consequence, points to something that is more systemic and deep-rooted than just the occasional occurrence.
Old 07-20-2020, 04:07 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thumbs down Defense

To say most police are good does not identify a person as being a "white privileged". I was going to further explain why it is inappropriate but this kind of thinking should not be made an issue since it does not deserve any more time. The logic that if one person is good would mean there is some form of racist attitude is so distorted it should not be given any further discussion.
Old 07-20-2020, 05:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
To say most police are good does not identify a person as being a "white privileged". I was going to further explain why it is inappropriate but this kind of thinking should not be made an issue since it does not deserve any more time. The logic that if one person is good would mean there is some form of racist attitude is so distorted it should not be given any further discussion.
Misunderstood. I did not wish to assert that believing that police are good is white privilege. I do wish to assert that never having had a bad experience or ever worrying about a bad experience is white privilege. You knew and expected that the police would treat you with respect. I have never had a LEO mistreat me. I have never been followed around as I shopped. I have never had a person assume I got my educational opportunities or my job only because of my skin color.

Tags
paint, applying, public, yellow, blue

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.