What does Covid-19 in the White House teach us?

Closed Thread
Old 10-04-2020, 05:40 AM

Lets believe science not self serving politicians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiverpoolWalrus View Post
Does anyone know what to make of the huge spike in positive rates in Sumter County on September 29 and 30 according to Home | Florida Department of Health COVID-19 Outbreak The county had been at about 4% on average and then spiked up to 21% on 9/29 and 22% on 9/30.
My guess would be Labor Day Celebrations: That would be about the end of the incubation period when people would start showing symptoms. No medical knowledge just a common sense guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapbas View Post
Did anyone see the short clip when Amy approached the rose garden party in a mask, she was met by 3 gentleman, one I think was mark meadows (could only see back of his head), it then appeared judging by the look on her face and actions, that she was asked to remove her mask which she promptly did.
You mean the same Judge Barrett who already contracted Covid-19 during the summer?

Amy Coney Barrett had COVID-19 earlier this year, officials say - Chicago Tribune
Old 10-04-2020, 05:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,214 Times in 1,951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
No, there is nothing else to learn. We learned everything we needed in February.

Social distance from others, stay away from indoor spaces with other people, wear clean masks in stores, wash your hands frequently.

Of course, that is easy for unemployed people like us.
You speak the truth with the exception of wearing of masks. Back in February, let's not forget, the American people were told by our experts not to wear masks if you had no symptoms. Oh yes, I know "they" had their reasons for lying to the American people. That was wrong as the science knew the virus was transmitted by asymptomatic and presymptomatic infected people.

That is water under the bridge now. Going forward, when the scientists finally DID tell the American people to cover their faces, the damage was already done and many people continued to believe that masks were not necessary and worse yet, were detrimental to our health. Of course there are many Americans who did head the advice and continue to this day to cover their faces in public spaces, especially indoors. Many people got to work making home made masks to mitigate the virus as soon as we were told to cover our faces in public spaces, especially indoors.

Back in February, a bad example was set for the American people and continued until a few days ago. Let's hope that message will now change going forward. Anti-maskers have been out there, infecting people they don't know and bringing the virus home to loved ones. Sorry to say, it's not getting any better, even today. Unless we have a safe and effective vaccine, America will never reach herd immunity. That is a sad state of affairs.
Old 10-04-2020, 05:58 AM

This email about the virus going through a mask ... makes no sense considering the facts. Let's be real on these pages - wearing a mask keeps most if not all of the particles on the side of the wearer of the mask and keeps others safe. To think otherwise is mystifying.
Old 10-04-2020, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarra View Post
I've been watching the recordings of the assembly in the Rose garden earlier this week, and it's hard to fathom what they were thinking - not wearing masks, shaking hands, hugging in some cases. Seems to go against everything our experts tell us.

But to me the biggest take-away is that even out in the open air, it looks like you can still get the virus if you don't practice social distancing. I know it's going to make me think twice about eating outside, and I'm re-thinking all my activites now.

Well said

Is there anything else that can be learned? Super-spreader events like this just seem all too common. I've still not had a hair cut in 8 months now, and don't see that changing any time soon.

We have to get back to listneing to the Scientists on this. Wishful thinking is not going to cut it folks, and I don't like playing Russian roulette.

I beelive Trump is not in great shape, so if there is some good from this it's that he may become a poster child for why we all need to take it seriously and wear masks when with others.
Well said
Old 10-04-2020, 06:00 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadbone1 View Post
Masks are useless against this virus. Covid molecule very small and can pass right through it. Read what leading epidemiologists say! Just psychological. Covid is not a death sentence. 99% survivable just like the flu. No mask for me!
So tired of the paranoia!
Agree, the Covid virus is so small that is can pass through masks. What you do not seem to understand is that the virus is transmitted in DROPLETS and AEROSOLS. There are up to thousands of Covid virus particles in one droplet. That one droplet can be easily blocked by a mask. Times that one droplet by many many more. Why not block thousands of those virus particles with masks? Even aerosols are blocked by masks so why not wear a mask? Everyone has been asked to do their part but anti-maskers seem to feel they don't have to.

Last edited by coffeebean; 10-04-2020 at 06:29 AM.
Old 10-04-2020, 06:09 AM

Quote:
All it teaches us is that you can’t hide from a virus! Mask or no mask! I don’t wear a mask as I know they are useless! We will all be exposed to Covid just like we are the flu or the common cold. Trump has no co-morbidities so he will be past this in a week or so, just like 99% of those that get it!
The media has done a good job of tuning much of the population into paranoid people!
Wear a mask. They are NOT useless.
We DON’T know about Trump’s comorbidities..he’s not forthcoming on his state of health.
Regardless of the percentages, I don’t want to be in that 2% category and I don’t want to be in the 98% category either BECAUSE we DON’T know the long term effects of this virus and NEITHER do the experts, yet.
The media (scientists reporting) is giving us the science behind what they know NOW. The non-scientists are telling us nothing based on fact.
Use your brains and TRY to HELP slow this this virus down. Stop being stupid and selfish.
Old 10-04-2020, 06:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,175 Times in 441 Posts

Quote:
All it teaches us is that you can’t hide from a virus! Mask or no mask! I don’t wear a mask as I know they are useless! We will all be exposed to Covid just like we are the flu or the common cold. Trump has no co-morbidities so he will be past this in a week or so, just like 99% of those that get it!
The media has done a good job of tuning much of the population into paranoid people!
Leadbone, hmmmm!, I have another name for you, but, because moderator asks us to refrain from name-calling, I will behave. Folks, listen to the scientist, period.
Old 10-04-2020, 06:19 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlcopper View Post
No reason to hibernate for the rest of your life because the President got the virus. No hair cut? No grocery store? Mask wearing in a parking lot? Life doesnt end. Its called “adapting”. Go out and enjoy the day
I have been a proponent for mask wearing from mid March. I wear a mask in public spaces indoors. I will, however, remove my mask as soon as I exit the building. I will never wear a mask in a parking lot when I'm not close to anyone. Even passing someone in a parking lot will not make me cover my face. No need to do that. The science has said that you need close contact for at least a few minutes to contract enough of the virus to infect you. Passing someone in a parking lot will not be enough to infect anyone.

I will continue to dine in restaurants indoors only if the tables are distanced properly for social distancing. I do not wear a mask when seated in a restaurant. All other times, my mask is on my face.

Last edited by coffeebean; 10-04-2020 at 06:39 AM.
Old 10-04-2020, 06:20 AM

You are all adults and do not need the Government nor anyone else to tell you what to do. Listen to yourself, your instincts, and act accordingly. Too many people in TV "go along" with others. If it doesn't feel right; simply don't do it. You know how to protect yourself; wear a mask; wash hand frequently for at least 20 seconds or use sanitizer if unable to wash; remain away from others.

Most important; when with others:
6 feet distance, wearing a mask for 10 minutes OR LESS.
That does not mean wearing a mask makes group contact okay; it means 10 minutes OR LESS.
Old 10-04-2020, 06:24 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlcopper View Post
No reason to hibernate for the rest of your life because the President got the virus. No hair cut? No grocery store? Mask wearing in a parking lot? Life doesnt end. Its called “adapting”. Go out and enjoy the day
Which brings up a good point about being in close proximity to people who are infected. Early on in this pandemic, the story came out about two hairdressers who were infected with Covid. Not knowing they were positive for the virus, they continued to work on their customers. About 80 customers were in this close contact with the hairdressers. Not one of their customers became infected with the virus. Why? Both hairdressers wore masks and all their patrons wore masks. I like those odds for mask wearing.
Old 10-04-2020, 06:28 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlcooper70 View Post
This email about the virus going through a mask ... makes no sense considering the facts. Let's be real on these pages - wearing a mask keeps most if not all of the particles on the side of the wearer of the mask and keeps others safe. To think otherwise is mystifying.
That is the anti-masker mentality. Going forward, I'm hoping all Americans will be receiving a different message from "TPTB". We learn from our mistakes. I'm hoping there is humility involved with getting that message out. Hubby says, "no way". I'm hoping hubby is wrong.
Old 10-04-2020, 06:34 AM
Thanked 1,306 Times in 237 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singerlady View Post
Wear a mask. They are NOT useless.
We DON’T know about Trump’s comorbidities..he’s not forthcoming on his state of health.
Regardless of the percentages, I don’t want to be in that 2% category and I don’t want to be in the 98% category either BECAUSE we DON’T know the long term effects of this virus and NEITHER do the experts, yet.
The media (scientists reporting) is giving us the science behind what they know NOW. The non-scientists are telling us nothing based on fact.
Use your brains and TRY to HELP slow this this virus down. Stop being stupid and selfish.
Educate yourself. Go read what leading epidemiologist have to say. The Covid molecule is small enough that it will pass through any mask. Believe what you choose to believe. You cannot hide from a virus. The fact that the president got it when everyone around him is tested daily is proof of that. Good news is, he will survive just like 99% do.
Old 10-04-2020, 06:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,540 Times in 1,926 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Paranoid much?
Why would anyone in a Pandemic refuse to do something as simple as wear a mask in public places for the duration?

It doesn't cause pain. It is affordable. It is easy. It is socially acceptable. It makes 70% of the country agree with you.

If you want to push against what is acceptable you can go around with your pants unzipped.

You can wear your "Make love, not War Shirt.".

Tags
cut, masks, thinking, great, common

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.