Car batteries?

Car batteries?

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 12-05-2017, 11:16 AM
Topspinmo's Avatar
Topspinmo Topspinmo is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Oregon Mo. St Joesph mo, ft worth tx, Omaha neb., upper heyford UK, Clovis NM, OKC.
Posts: 3,996
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donaz1 View Post
I just replaced an original battery for my Acura RDX. Only warning was several clicks on two previous starts. I should have taken it someplace for replacement at that time. On the third time, no start, and a call to the auto service who jumped the car. I had AutoZone replace the batter with their best Duralast. When the red cover was removed over the positive terminal it was totally corroded. AutoZone did the replacement and their was a lot of serious acid cleanup involved in the tray. My battery was about $140. The AGM batteries such as Optima was over $200. My problem was not replacing the battery at the 3 year point.
Corrosion at the battery terminals can cause low voltage, which may have been your problem? Did autozone load test the battery and test the charging system? I guess it failed load test why you got new one? Did they say anything about charging system?

Usually batteries will last 5 years or more. IMO I would of had the charging system check if the didn't do it? If If it's over charging it will cause the problems you described above, corrosion, battery failure, and excessive acid boil overs (which probably cause the battery to fail hold charge due to low water).

Re;walmart batteries
  #12  
Old 02-13-2018, 11:29 AM
suesiegel suesiegel is offline
Gold member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,420
Default Re;walmart batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by village dreamer View Post
what are you trying to do ??? for me I keep my cars about 10 years, so that means I have to replace my battery one time . a flooded type Walmart battery is fine for me about $100, how much for other types and how long of a service life do you want .
We bought a Wallmart battery two months ago. According to my reading on the internet it is suggested you buy the slightly more expensive line as it is made by a different manufacturer. Interesting to me they sell different batteries in our HOT climate compared to colder climates.

In any case, they install for free. You can get a Wallmart credit card and it knocks $25 off your first purchase. The total bill was with tax about $100.

Today, the battery powers all the wizbangs in your car. Some have mentioned putting it in yourself. You can of course do that. They supply power to your cars computer systems at all times. If, you do it yourself, you will need to reset the computers. On some cars you need to do stuff like turn the key on and off 3-4x while standing on your head and running around the car. FREE is far easier. Also,
today getting rid of a used battery PROPERLY, is likely a major production-acid, lead etc.
Sponsored Links
My experience
  #13  
Old 02-13-2018, 11:51 AM
suesiegel suesiegel is offline
Gold member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,420
Default My experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Corrosion at the battery terminals can cause low voltage, which may have been your problem? Did autozone load test the battery and test the charging system? I guess it failed load test why you got new one? Did they say anything about charging system?

Usually batteries will last 5 years or more. IMO I would of had the charging system check if the didn't do it? If If it's over charging it will cause the problems you described above, corrosion, battery failure, and excessive acid boil overs (which probably cause the battery to fail hold charge due to low water).
I agree with what you've said that the average life of a car battery is about 5 years. Today, your car is controlled by several computers and they are very sensitive to voltage drops. My previous car ???? 5-6 years old just stopped-no warning. I with help from a good Samaritan pushed it to the side of the road.

I just had my battery replaced in my current car. It was still starting the car fine. I did notice that at idle the headlights were dim. THE ORIGINAL BATTERY WAS EIGHT YEARS OLD SO I TREATED THE CAR TO A NEW BATTERY.

By the way, the battery is under a plastic cover. The old battery looked like new. The new battery has solved the minor headlight dimming at idle.
  #14  
Old 02-13-2018, 12:47 PM
Topspinmo's Avatar
Topspinmo Topspinmo is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Oregon Mo. St Joesph mo, ft worth tx, Omaha neb., upper heyford UK, Clovis NM, OKC.
Posts: 3,996
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suesiegel View Post
I agree with what you've said that the average life of a car battery is about 5 years. Today, your car is controlled by several computers and they are very sensitive to voltage drops. My previous car ???? 5-6 years old just stopped-no warning. I with help from a good Samaritan pushed it to the side of the road

I just had my battery replaced in my current car. It was still starting the car fine. I did notice that at idle the headlights were dim. THE ORIGINAL BATTERY WAS EIGHT YEARS OLD SO I TREATED THE CAR TO A NEW BATTERY.


By the way, the battery is under a plastic cover. The old battery looked like new. The new battery has solved the minor headlight dimming at idle.

I agree, low end lead acid batteries are less weight which means less plates and lead why there cheaper. When I had more than one vehicle I would get more out of batteries. Now only have one, so when I get 4 years or so one one I listen for the signs of battery fatigue. Usually it will wind the starter little slow creating different sound, I replace it cause it will probably fail at inconvenient time. I check cables for corrosion every time change the oil, any signs I clean then. Can't beat Walmart for batteries or tires IMO. I trust the guys at sourthern trace, they always done good job for me. Trust but verify. Beings I was aircraft engine mechanic for 40 some years I can detect sloppy work in heart beat. In my field there was a ZERO tolerance for even minor errors.
Careful on cheap batteries
  #15  
Old 02-13-2018, 02:22 PM
Rickg's Avatar
Rickg Rickg is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Collier
Posts: 362
Default Careful on cheap batteries

Some cars such as BMW for one need to have the computer software set for a new battery or over charging may occur. (Ive verified this) I hope I’m not starting a whole new debate. 😬
__________________
Yes, we drank the koolaid
Collier, The Villages
  #16  
Old 02-13-2018, 04:08 PM
MorTech MorTech is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 368
Default

ValuePower batteries at Walmart are excellent and will last just as long as other batteries costing twice the price or more (a lead acid battery is just a commodity item). Just check the battery birthdate to make sure the battery hasn't been sitting on the shelf more than 3 months.

AGM batteries have a different charging profile than a Flooded. They are not interchangeable.
  #17  
Old 02-13-2018, 04:38 PM
biker1 biker1 is offline
Platinum member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,617
Default

Flooded lead acid batteries: 3-5 years
AGM batteries: 6-10 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Corrosion at the battery terminals can cause low voltage, which may have been your problem? Did autozone load test the battery and test the charging system? I guess it failed load test why you got new one? Did they say anything about charging system?

Usually batteries will last 5 years or more. IMO I would of had the charging system check if the didn't do it? If If it's over charging it will cause the problems you described above, corrosion, battery failure, and excessive acid boil overs (which probably cause the battery to fail hold charge due to low water).
  #18  
Old 02-13-2018, 06:15 PM
Topspinmo's Avatar
Topspinmo Topspinmo is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Oregon Mo. St Joesph mo, ft worth tx, Omaha neb., upper heyford UK, Clovis NM, OKC.
Posts: 3,996
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickg View Post
Some cars such as BMW for one need to have the computer software set for a new battery or over charging may occur. (Ive verified this) I hope I’m not starting a whole new debate. 😬
I agree computer cars for the last 20 years are very finicky to voltage spikes and polarity disruptions. Even disconnecting the wrong battery terminal out of order can cause hundreds of dollars of damage. Not for the novice or faint of heart to attempt repair.
  #19  
Old 02-13-2018, 06:30 PM
Topspinmo's Avatar
Topspinmo Topspinmo is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Oregon Mo. St Joesph mo, ft worth tx, Omaha neb., upper heyford UK, Clovis NM, OKC.
Posts: 3,996
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
Flooded lead acid batteries: 3-5 years
AGM batteries: 6-10 years
Agreed I was referring to lead acid batteries. AGM and gel Should last a lot longer as long as the charging system doesn't malfunction and over charge them. For my cheap cars I just can't spend up $300 bucks for battery yet, heck, $150 enough. I alway put the biggest (by weight and CCA) lead acid battery in my car that will fit by the size of the battery box.
Closed Thread

Tags
batteries, agm, flooded, car, is/has

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:00 AM.