Car batteries?

Closed Thread
Old 02-13-2018, 04:08 PM
Gold member

ValuePower batteries at Walmart are excellent and will last just as long as other batteries costing twice the price or more (a lead acid battery is just a commodity item). Just check the battery birthdate to make sure the battery hasn't been sitting on the shelf more than 3 months.

AGM batteries have a different charging profile than a Flooded. They are not interchangeable.
Old 02-13-2018, 04:38 PM
Sage

Flooded lead acid batteries: 3-5 years
AGM batteries: 6-10 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Corrosion at the battery terminals can cause low voltage, which may have been your problem? Did autozone load test the battery and test the charging system? I guess it failed load test why you got new one? Did they say anything about charging system?

Usually batteries will last 5 years or more. IMO I would of had the charging system check if the didn't do it? If If it's over charging it will cause the problems you described above, corrosion, battery failure, and excessive acid boil overs (which probably cause the battery to fail hold charge due to low water).
Old 02-13-2018, 06:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickg View Post
Some cars such as BMW for one need to have the computer software set for a new battery or over charging may occur. (Ive verified this) I hope I’m not starting a whole new debate. 😬
I agree computer cars for the last 20 years are very finicky to voltage spikes and polarity disruptions. Even disconnecting the wrong battery terminal out of order can cause hundreds of dollars of damage. Not for the novice or faint of heart to attempt repair.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
Flooded lead acid batteries: 3-5 years
AGM batteries: 6-10 years
Agreed I was referring to lead acid batteries. AGM and gel Should last a lot longer as long as the charging system doesn't malfunction and over charge them. For my cheap cars I just can't spend up $300 bucks for battery yet, heck, $150 enough. I alway put the biggest (by weight and CCA) lead acid battery in my car that will fit by the size of the battery box.
Closed Thread

Tags
batteries, agm, flooded, car, is/has

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.