GE side by side...water won't come out of door

Closed Thread
Old 02-10-2014, 09:42 AM
Question GE side by side...water won't come out of door

I have spent way too much money on this fridge. I have just put a new circuit board in the back and a new fan thing in the freezer. now the water will not come out of the door...I guess it could not be the circuit board there since the lights come on when you chose to switch from water to ice....
Any ideas?
Old 02-10-2014, 09:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

If your GE refrigerator is an original model with your home just cut your losses. Had the same issues and they never end. Sorry.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:21 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
If your GE refrigerator is an original model with your home just cut your losses. Had the same issues and they never end. Sorry.
GE now has a heater repair kit that you install in the door to keep the water line from freezing, but it isn't worth the aggravation dealing with all the GE issues.
Suffering from TV envy
Old 02-10-2014, 10:55 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhop1225@gmail.com View Post
I have spent way too much money on this fridge. I have just put a new circuit board in the back and a new fan thing in the freezer. now the water will not come out of the door...I guess it could not be the circuit board there since the lights come on when you chose to switch from water to ice....
Any ideas?
I found this on a GE troubleshooting website.

Water and Ice Dispenser Problem -*Water not dispensing but Ice is….

First identify what exactly is not working. *Does any aspect of the dispenser work such as the water, ice, light, etc.? *If only the water flow is broken, you may have a bad water valve on the back of the unit. *Or, more likely, the water line is frozen or clogged. *If the water is not working, wait a day or two and see if the problem self-corrects. In some cases, the defrost cycle can cause=e the line to freeze because it does not have adequate insulation in the door. *If the problem persists, investigate proper water flow on the line . You can open up the kick plate at the bottom of your unit and look for the coupler under the freezer door where the water line is routed from the back of the freezer up to the dispenser. Disconnect this coupler and see if you have water coming out. You should only get a trickle. *Then depress your water dispenser switch and see if water begins shooting out. If the water does begin flowing, then your clog is in the section of tube in your freezer door. You can try putting all your food in an ice chest and thawing out the freezer to see if you can get the tube working or you can just replace the tube.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

Try leaving the light on on the water dispenser. This works for us every time - something about the heat that the light generates. We were told that there was a manufacturing defect with these GE ice makers but since that is the only problem we have had with our refrigerator in almost 10 years, we are keeping it and just use this easy fix. It has worked every time so far for us. You may have to leave the light on for quite awhile - 8-10hrs or so. Just keep checking it periodically. Once the water starts flowing again, of course you can turn the light back off then.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:00 PM
Veteran member

I had same problem. No water, ice maker okay. Problem was water frozen in the line (door). Fix may be easy....adjust the freezer temp up a bit (I set it at 6 degrees) should work in a few hours.
Or, you can install a water line heater designed by GE to fix the problem....but don't buy the kit from GE (they want $84 + shipping). Try ebay or amazon. PM me for specific info if you like.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.