Volusia - SHAME ON YOU THE VILLAGES CALLING THIS A GOLF COURSE

Old 05-03-2024, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Should be closed, but about 25% of the Executives already are and t times are getting squeezed so they can’t keep closing courses. It’s unbelievable what’s happening to the conditions of the courses this year. Heads need to roll as there are no legitimate excuses.
It would seem to me that if the El Nino was a legitimate excuse, then most all the golf courses here and in the surrounding area would have the same problems. Obviously some are better than others at golf course maintenance. I hope they get it worked out soon. It's an embarrassing standard on some of these courses.
Old 05-03-2024, 08:25 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minoletti View Post
Really, temporary greens of short fairway grass for holes 2 and 3. Meanwhile, looking at their closed greens with multiple bare spots exposing sand. Maybe patch in some real grass? other greens in crap shape as well.
We deserve way better.
I would be ashamed to bring a guest on this course.
You’ve got to be kidding. Life is sure tough in this Disney land of a place.
Old 05-03-2024, 08:47 AM
Default Golfers Should Purchase Pre-Owned Homes in North & Central Villages

Quote:
Really, temporary greens of short fairway grass for holes 2 and 3. Meanwhile, looking at their closed greens with multiple bare spots exposing sand. Maybe patch in some real grass? other greens in crap shape as well.
We deserve way better.
I would be ashamed to bring a guest on this course.
Golfers shopping for homes in The Villages should NOT purchase a New Home in the Southern Areas, which lack enough Executive Golf Courses. Rather, they should buy a pre-owned home in the Middle or Northern areas which have plenty of Executive golf courses nearby. Also, the Bond is usually paid off on homes in the North and Middle areas, plus you are MUCH CLOSER to Shopping & Restaurants.
Old 05-03-2024, 08:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,232 Times in 2,813 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarriors View Post
Limit people to 3 times per week until conditions improve. Over use is the big factor in these courses being in terrible shape.
Overuse wasn’t a problem several years ago before the ratio of golf holes per rooftop plummeted. The solution isn’t to limit play, it’s to bring the ratio of holes per rooftops back to where it was about 8 years ago.
Old 05-03-2024, 08:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,232 Times in 2,813 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntlblok View Post
Is it known if any heads have rolled over this?
Very sadly not as far as I know. The solution seems to be like when you get a bad hand playing cards, reshuffle the deck and hope the next hand turns out better. In this game excuses trump results and responsibility.
Old 05-03-2024, 09:39 AM

Would help if golfers showed more respect for the courses. I have a view of Pimlico and Belmont and consistently watch groups of 4 roll each of their 4 carts over the fairway and aprons of these executive cart only courses, with no CAP card displayed and no evident sign of being handicapped. It would also help if ambassadors enforced cart only restrictions.
Old 05-03-2024, 09:41 AM
Default Grass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilyclub View Post
Tarpon Boil had some temporary greens with the par 4 being the biggie. Don't know if they still do.
Have played Tarpon Boil a couple of times recently as well as once back when it was amazingly icky. One early round temporary green remains. Most of the greens are now basically fine, but where there had been a patchwork of fuzzy green grass interspersed with bare ground, the previously bare parts appear to now be mostly filled with putt-able and nicely mown grass of a much different color. You can make out some areas with large-ish rectangular patches with this darker color, but my sense is that much of the formerly bare spots seem to have somehow "grown back" in with this same, darker colored grass. Re-seeded?? The overall putting surfaces seemed to me to be massively improved and could be putted "just fine". I admittedly ain't too sophisticated in such determinations. :-)

How hard would it be to let folks know what has actually been done there? Have the causes of the original problems been determined? Are there reasons to keep it secret?

Last edited by mntlblok; 05-03-2024 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Failure, once again, to have adequately proof read.
Old 05-04-2024, 09:37 AM
Default Championship courses

Reading all the responses I get the feeling a lot of people play only executive courses. When I learned how to play golf it was on par 72 courses. I still play real golf courses. It’s nice to be able to play an executive course and get a 1 1/2-2 hours of golf in on some days but 5-6 times because it is free is a little much. I guess we know the difference between the executive and championship courses, so you have deal with the situation and the economics. That doesn’t address the condition of the courses but it is certainly a factor in why they get that way.
Old 05-04-2024, 10:19 AM
Default Muchness

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYCAT View Post
It’s nice to be able to play an executive course and get a 1 1/2-2 hours of golf in on some days but 5-6 times because it is free is a little much.
Trying to understand the point of view that 5-6 times (presumably per week) is being "a little much". Should avid pickleballers be similarly limited due to its "freeness"?

I don't recall seeing in any of the promotional literature prior to our move any references to limits of either. I *was* blown away by the number of executive courses *and* their "freeness". My study of the maps of the course locations was the primary factor in choosing where we ended up buying.

I admittedly failed to research the reservation/request system as well as I might have, but I've now come to mostly understand it *and* appreciate how well thought out it seems to be. I *was* familiar with how things change in Florida come cold weather, but was not prepared to see so many executive courses closed along with that.

I can work around (and expect) the less than ideal conditions on executive courses, and understand and appreciate the differences and limitations with the "pitch and putts", which we've also come to enjoy. I even enjoy repairing ball marks. :-)

I lived on golf courses for 36 years in a former life and am aware that problems can arise with them - and be solved. What happened to many of the greens here this past winter - and apparently limited to only one general area - is to me, mind boggling. Equally mind boggling is the lack of information from whomever is in charge and responsible. I don't have that good a feel for the governing system here (and don't really care to), but I do wonder why we aren't hearing more from them about the situation. More interested in seeing things get "fixed" than whether heads roll.

The things that ran me out of the game of golf 25 years ago are largely missing from executive course play. Circumstances led to playing lots of executive course rounds as being one of my now few desirable hobby options. I admittedly "over-do" my hobbies. If that option is not going to be viable, then it would have been better to have known about it before buying and moving here.
Old 05-04-2024, 10:56 AM

Follow the money.....this is done on purpose.....it's impossible to neglect the courses like this if you were competent and serious about maintaining them.....it's all about $$$$$$
Old 05-04-2024, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarriors View Post
Limit people to 3 times per week until conditions improve. Over use is the big factor in these courses being in terrible shape.
I disagree. The condition is not from overplay. Up North and down south the courses are in good shape. A fungus hit these courses and was not caught in time and the result is what you see. More care must be exercised in oversight to keep on top of these problems. Hopefully the Mgt has learned their lesson and will be more observant in the future.
Old 05-04-2024, 01:59 PM
Default Fungus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
I disagree. The condition is not from overplay. Up North and down south the courses are in good shape. A fungus hit these courses and was not caught in time and the result is what you see. More care must be exercised in oversight to keep on top of these problems. Hopefully the Mgt has learned their lesson and will be more observant in the future.
So, what is known about this fungus?
Old 05-04-2024, 02:06 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Well, approximately 75,000 homes

lets say $100? from each homes ammenity fee goes toward course maintenance monthly

100 x 75000 = 7.5 million monthly
7.5m x 12 months = 90 million annually

this is a big number

any way to find out the actual fees breakout and distribution numbers?
Yes, a detailed budget is public record. Go online and look it up. Also, the AAC is having a budget review meeting on Wednesday. Attend the meeting and see how your amenity fees are being spent. I don’t know when the next PWAC is scheduled. I would guess next week.
Old 05-04-2024, 02:07 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYCAT View Post
Reading all the responses I get the feeling a lot of people play only executive courses. When I learned how to play golf it was on par 72 courses. I still play real golf courses. It’s nice to be able to play an executive course and get a 1 1/2-2 hours of golf in on some days but 5-6 times because it is free is a little much. I guess we know the difference between the executive and championship courses, so you have deal with the situation and the economics. That doesn’t address the condition of the courses but it is certainly a factor in why they get that way.
Is it free? Free like college tuition free? That’s what I thought!
Old 05-04-2024, 03:10 PM
Sage

A pretty good chunk (can't remember the exact amount quoted by Goldwingnut, perhaps around 30%) of the amenities budget is actually spent paying off the purchase of the amenities from The Developer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
Yes, a detailed budget is public record. Go online and look it up. Also, the AAC is having a budget review meeting on Wednesday. Attend the meeting and see how your amenity fees are being spent. I don’t know when the next PWAC is scheduled. I would guess next week.

Tags
greens, grass, volusia, sand, patch

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.