Charge or no charge....

Closed Thread
Old 12-06-2012, 05:35 PM
Sage
Default Charge or no charge....

I was just wondering....yesterday I got my hair cut and highlighted. It looked like there wasn't much color in it when she finished coloring it ( I used a cap) but I decided to go home and sleep on it. Today I realized there wasn't nearly enough highlights in my hair so I went back to my stylist and scheduled to have it redone. Should I be charged the full hair color amount again? If not, what do you think is fair??

Also, do you tip the owner if she is your stylist? Thanks for your opinions.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:32 PM
Sage

Don't think you should be charged for the redo - also don't think the owner should be tipped. Actually I am not sure why we tip anyone other than in the food service who aren't paid anything. If you pay for a service shouldn't that be enough? Isn't their employer paying them?
Old 12-10-2012, 05:58 PM
Platinum member

I think it depends on how long you've been using the stylist and did you tell her right away it was too light? Who picked the color for the toner?

If you are a long time customer and she has highlighted your hair before, then I think she should have warned you this might happen.

In my mind it also depends on how she fixes it. If she just throws in another darker toner then maybe a small charge. If she redoes the entire process giving you "low lights" to balance it out, then you should pay.

I would have thrown in a toner myself or just waited it out till I went back. If she fixes it for free I'd give her a nice tip.

Y'know that part of your brain that tells you "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!" I think I'm missing it.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:58 PM
Sage

What Patty55 said! I've had stylists tell me "if" this (cut or whatever) isn't quite what you had in mind...come back within 2 or 3 days and I'll fix it at no cost. As for tipping owners...I'd say no! I'd just give them a nice one during the holidays (and at their birthday if you know when it is).
Old 12-10-2012, 07:38 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
I was just wondering....yesterday I got my hair cut and highlighted. It looked like there wasn't much color in it when she finished coloring it ( I used a cap) but I decided to go home and sleep on it. Today I realized there wasn't nearly enough highlights in my hair so I went back to my stylist and scheduled to have it redone. Should I be charged the full hair color amount again? If not, what do you think is fair??

There is more info needed in this type of situation.
It sounds like you wanted more highlighted sections than you got. Yes?
Do you think the sections are not large/thick enough?
It also sounds like your highlights are not as light as you desire. Is that correct?

Remembering your avatar photo, your hair is dark brown. In order to lift your color to something very light, the product applied to the sections must contain bleach. Dark hair often takes much longer to lift. It can not be rushed. So, adequate time must be provided. That means you both must be patient.

As I mentioned once before, toner will not lighten your hair, ever ever ever. It is a transparent temporary color to TEMPORARILY mute the bleached hair to a more natural tone. It will wash away over a few weeks.

Bleaching on top of bleach is a risky project, even in very skilled hands. And especially so soon. I would caution you not to expect great results if you do this.

In addition, re-highlighting ALL the very same areas is nearly impossible, as the hair was pulled randomly through a rubber cap. Once the cap is in place again, the stylist will not be able to re-create the same pull successfully, so you will have MULTI-COLORED highlights at best. Some of the color you don't like will STILL be there.

As far as paying goes, she will be using more product and will need a good amount of time spent to re-do. It could be that you and she did not have good communication to begin with and she did not tell you what you would receive with this service.... in which case she should not charge you for her time.
If your expectations changed before you were done, she may have not understood that and some of the responsibility is yours.

It could also be an error on her part, such as lack of skill or knowledge of what the product will do.

Just because someone owns a shop, doesn't mean they are the best. I worked for lots of mediocre barbers/ stylists before I ran my own business.

I once had a client tell me ( in the middle of a process) that she forgot that she had a plane to catch.... and she needed to leave in the next 5 minutes. Extreme example, I know, but clients do things like that. Of course she called me the next day to say how unhappy she was with her hair. Of course she was. So was I, but it was taken out of my control to complete.

And as far as tipping goes, do what you desire. As an owner, I never personally accepted tips, but I always appreciated the thought and thanked them anyway!
When my dedicated staff were acknowledged with tips, they gave back with the best service they could provide and understood that tips were a special gift, not expected. I had some of the best barbers and stylists in Chicago working in my shop and any tips they received were well earned and appreciated. (and they paid taxes on them, too.)

Anyway, after this long winded reply, my suggestion again, would be learn to love what you have right now and don't re-do. After it is almost grown out, look for a different stylist and really COMMUNICATE before you do this again.
Best wishes!
Old 12-10-2012, 08:04 PM
Sage

Quote:

I think it totally depends on the conversation you had with the stylist prior to the highlighting. If you were explicit and clear on what you wanted, then I think she should add more highlights without a charge (obviously it won't need to be cut again). But if you were vague and left it up to her discretion, then I'd just live with it for six weeks and try someone new next time.

I do tip the owner if she is my stylist. Last week I went to the owner of a salon for the first time, and I watched to see if most other people gave her a tip, and they did.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:58 PM
Sage
Default Update....

Thanks for your opinions. I went back the day after I got my hair highlighted and told my stylist that if wasn't nearly light enough. She agreed that the highlights didn't take well and made me an appointment for 2 days later. She was very professional about it and said she was glad I went back to let her know it wasn't what I wanted. She totally redid my highlights and changed the formula. I offered to pay her for her time and she refused. I would have been happy to pay her for the hour she spent with me. I was very appreciative and walked away a happy customer. I then went home and followed up with a Thank You note to send the next day. My hair looks great and I will continue to go to the salon with this stylist.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:36 PM
Send a message via AIM to LynnDeb
Default Charge or no charge?

Quote:
Thanks for your opinions. I went back the day after I got my hair highlighted and told my stylist that if wasn't nearly light enough. She agreed that the highlights didn't take well and made me an appointment for 2 days later. She was very professional about it and said she was glad I went back to let her know it wasn't what I wanted. She totally redid my highlights and changed the formula. I offered to pay her for her time and she refused. I would have been happy to pay her for the hour she spent with me. I was very appreciative and walked away a happy customer. I then went home and followed up with a Thank You note to send the next day. My hair looks great and I will continue to go to the salon with this stylist.
Your hairstylist did the right thing.....I would give her a gift of appreciation for her making you happy...that's the way a business should run so that people will come back and have confidence in you....Well Done
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.