Girl Talk

Closed Thread
Old 08-18-2010, 05:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeda View Post
Hi, thanks for the good news. The reason you are having more energy is that the body is now releasing stored energy.

Some quick ideas: drink 10 glasses of water a day, best if you can drink it at or near room temperature since cold drinks especially during or after a meal can contribute to sort of 'congealing' food in our tract.

Also, get moderate exercise several times a week - ideally 30-45 minutes brisk walk 4-5 times a week.

A great morning routine (learned this from Japanese practices - and they as a population group have one of the longest lifespans), which promotes cleansing, is to drink a full glass of water first thing when you get up, (then, ideally next brush your teeth so that your mouth feels fresh, and you will be less inclined to want to eat immediately); wait about 45 minutes, then have your breakfast/coffee/tea etc.

Best sources of protein: nuts, avocadoes, olives, beans, soy, and legumes.
Second best sources of protein: cold-water fish like salmon, mackeral, trout, sardines, and tuna.
Third best sources of protein: fowl. For bacon or burgers, turkey is the best choice.
Poorest sources of protein: red meat, dairy. (Doesn't mean you 'can't' have red meat, but limit it and choose the leanest meat available; the best choices are wild game, buffalo/bison, grass-fed cattle, organically raised cattle).

Healthy fats: the goal should be to consume more omega-3 essential fatty acids (from cold-water fish - listed above in the protein list, flaxseed, flaxseed oil, hemp seeds, soybean oil, walnuts, raw almonds, range fed chicken eggs, and high quality fish oil);
and consume more monounsaturated fats (the best is oleic acid, found in olives, extra virgin olive oil, almonds, peanuts, pistachio, pecan, canola oil, avocado, hazelnut, cashew, and macadamia nuts),
and consume less saturated fats (ie, mainly from meat and dairy, and also in coconut and palm oils).

[We also need some omega-6 essential fatty acids - found in meat, chicken, corn oil, processed foods, cottonseed oil, peanut oil, dairy, safflower oil - but these are in such abundance in the modern diet that we are all likely to be getting plenty of these without having to work at it. Ideally, in order to promote a normal inflammatory response - which lessens allergies, arthritis, heart disease, bloating, etc, plus causes many other good things to happen - in the body, omega-6's should be in close ratio with our consumption of omega-3's. But with the typical Western diet most people are greatly overconsuming omega-6's and underconsuming omega-3's, so they are out of balance, promoting inflammation in the body].

And avoid trans fats (labels like 'hydrogenated, or 'partially hydrogenated' .

Low-glycemic carbohydrate eating will go along way to promote all of the above ideas, since there will gradually be less cravings for the high-glycemic carbs that often accompany poorer protein and fat choices; thus, it is easier to accomplish other changes, and to eat less just because of a natural change in your appetite. Again, it is not necessary to be 'perfect' in all of these choices in order to lose weight or maintain a healthy weight or other health improvements; but the rate, and consistency long-term, of weight loss, feeling good, and other health improvements is a direct correlative of how consistently healthfully we eat.

The body is an obedient and marvelous 'machine' that responds exactly as it is 'supposed' to based on how we fuel it. Sharply spiking your blood sugar with just one snack or meal can cause cravings that can last for hours, or even days, for more high-glycemic foods, which, if consumed, will set off an additional cycle of cravings; this becomes an endless cycle. This is unnecessary misery that we can learn to avoid bringing on ourselves.

So, it is important to always eat something when hungry, since that is a natural message from the body - that is, when it is not coming from a blood-sugar crash which was caused by a blood sugar spike; just eat something that is not moderately- or high-glycemic.
Wow, Freeda,
Thanks for the wealth of helpful info. I've hit somewhat of a plateau with weight-- not losing as quickly. However, I have lost another 1 1/2-lbs, so gotta love the trend. I still feel really great and have felt NO sugar spikes since I've been doing this.

Thanks again for all your help!

Old 08-18-2010, 05:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
IslandGal .. I'm looking for a relaxing tape to put me to sleep at night (hoping I can figure out how to put in my new IPAD). I think you mentioned a website where you could download a good relaxing tape. Could you please share the site again?

P.S. I made my first smoothie ... spinach/bananna/strawberry/almond milk/isolate protein! It was delicious and even Fireboy liked it. However, sadly, I think it must have contained about 2,000 calories.
Hi Bare,
Your smoothie ingredients sound yummy. I wonder what isolate protein is too? Plus, it couldn't have been 2,000 calories per serving with those ingredients, could it?
Old 08-18-2010, 06:16 PM
Sage

A banana is, what, about 100-110 calories? One cup of strawberries is about 50 calories. Spinach, about the same as strawberries. About 45 calories in one cup of sweetened almond milk. Lots of fiber in strawberries and bananas, but lots of potassium and sugar. That's what I have to watch. And that's two things I loveee. That drink sounds yummie.

Good job P. Keep going girlfriend. You girls are inspiring me to do something about my extra blubber.

Still I wonder about the isolate protein. I found body builder info about it but not much else.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:33 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Barefoot -- Yay! Glad you liked your smoothie. If you want to reduce calories, reduce the amount of frozen fruit and add a bit of sweetener. Stevia is healthiest -- but don't use the powdered kind as it can be bitter. Go to a health food store and get the liquid stevia. It tastes really good and there is no after taste (and no calories!).

For everyone asking about isolate protein, that is simply protein powder that you can find in any health food store, probably even at Walmart. "Isolate" means that they have taken a food source and isolated the protein from the rest of the plant.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkcunningham1 View Post
A banana is, what, about 100-110 calories? One cup of strawberries is about 50 calories. Spinach, about the same as strawberries. About 45 calories in one cup of sweetened almond milk. Lots of fiber in strawberries and bananas, but lots of potassium and sugar. That's what I have to watch. And that's two things I loveee. That drink sounds yummie.

Still I wonder about the isolate protein. I found body builder info about it but not much else.
I was kidding about the 2,000 calories! Still, with all the stuff I jammed into the blender, it wasn't a "diet" drink. But OMG, was it healthy! And delicious. (And I should know because I had three glasses full ... hmmmm ... I guess that isn't the idea). I add protein because I believe that protein keeps you from getting hungry. So I try to have a little protein with every meal.

I went to a body building store (by mistake) to buy the protein. I felt like an idiot when I walked into the store and it was full of young body builders. They all turned around and stared at the little granny walking in! I bought "Extreme Power Whey Isolate Protein". The bottles were all so large I could hardly carry one!

Isolate protein is the purest (and most expensive) kind of protein. Supposedly it acts immediately for bodybuilders to give them a power surge.

I had the smoothies on Monday and I'm still waiting for my power surge!
Old 08-25-2010, 01:58 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts
Default What would Heloise do?

I hope somebody has a helpful hint here on what to do about this.

I have new sandals and they have a problem.

I just bought them yesterday so I guess I could take them back, but I don't want to. They are sandals. Going out among back-to-school shoppers in Ohio in almost-September to look for sandals was something I figured would be a lost cause. But I had to try.

And there they were. First stop. I was surprised. Clarks sandals. Sensible. Comfortable. And best of all, the foot-bed (or whatever you call that part where your foot stands) is black just like the rest of the sandal. I will not buy sandals where that part is white because, no matter what, I get that part dirty. I step in and out of my shoes a lot during the day I guess.

Clarks are not what they used to be. That wonderful old brand from England now comes from China mostly. These did. But I felt lucky to find sandals this time of year, especially considering that I wear a 7M along with everybody else. And, besides, they were on sale.

So this morning I put them on to walk around the house to start breaking them in. I looked so fetching in my white socks and my pajamas and my new sandals.

But then......aaaaauuuuuugh!!!!....

squeak squeak squeak squeak Squeakity Squeakity SQUEAK!

Is there anything that can fix this? I do not want to have to start over. I hate to shop for shoes. But I do not want to be constantly announcing my presence by squeaking along. I feel certain that if these shoes were the proper English Clarks, like they used to make, there would be no squeaking permitted. (sigh)

I hope somebody can help. (I have thought of trying WD 40.)

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 08-25-2010 at 02:01 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:09 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to barb1191

Have you ever heard the old expression that if your shoes squeak, you're coming into money? Maybe that may find the squeak more tolerable! <grin>

That was my first thought (using WD40) even before I finished your thread where you too mentioned maybe trying WD40. Why not give it a try? Can't hurt and will probably remove the squeak by lubricating the shoe materials. Yepper, that will do it fer shure.....b

Most people walk in and out of your life, but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart.

"Being kind is more important than being right." By Andy Rooney

Last edited by barb1191; 08-25-2010 at 02:16 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:28 PM
Default Squeaky Shoes

Hi Boomer!

I had some squeaky sandals, too. I was frustrated, too. I bought some inexpensive pairs at Kohl's last year, and I vowed I would never do that again. I guess the squeaks aren't only in cheaper shoes if your Clarks are doing it too!

Anyway, I read somewhere that if you poke a pin hole in the bottom (mine squeaked when the heel was stepped on), it would help to let the air out. Sounded pretty reasonable to me. Not so! It did not work! I poked an even bigger hole, and it still didn't work!

My advice would be to take them back while you can, and save yourself any future frustration.

Good luck!
Old 08-25-2010, 07:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post

I just bought them yesterday so I guess I could take them back, but I don't want to. They are sandals. Going out among back-to-school shoppers in Ohio in almost-September to look for sandals was something I figured would be a lost cause. But I had to try.

And there they were. First stop. I was surprised. Clarks sandals. Sensible. Comfortable. And best of all, the foot-bed (or whatever you call that part where your foot stands) is black just like the rest of the sandal. I will not buy sandals where that part is white because, no matter what, I get that part dirty. I step in and out of my shoes a lot during the day I guess.

Clarks are not what they used to be. That wonderful old brand from England now comes from China mostly. These did. But I felt lucky to find sandals this time of year, especially considering that I wear a 7M along with everybody else. And, besides, they were on sale.

So this morning I put them on to walk around the house to start breaking them in. I looked so fetching in my white socks and my pajamas and my new sandals.

Is there anything that can fix this? I do not want to have to start over. I hate to shop for shoes. But I do not want to be constantly announcing my presence by squeaking along. I feel certain that if these shoes were the proper English Clarks, like they used to make, there would be no squeaking permitted. (sigh)

Boomer
Are you absolutely sure it wasn't your joints, Boom?
Old 08-25-2010, 07:23 PM
Sage

I had squeaky golf shoes once, and I have yet to come into the money.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post

Boomer
Does the shoe liner come out? That could be where the squeak is coming from. I have a pair of shoes that squeak, but only when I put a particular shoe insert in. Drives me nuts. I need the insert for a heel problem and without it in, those athletic shoes are uncomfortable. If your foot liners are removable, try walking in the shoes without them and see if they squeak. If they don't, I'd return the shoes.

How sad, you've found what sounds like a really good shoe, fashion and bargin wise. Too bad they announce your arrival before you do...
Old 08-25-2010, 09:11 PM
Location: Winter - Village of Bonita; Summer - Marblehead, OH

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
Does the shoe liner come out? That could be where the squeak is coming from. I have a pair of shoes that squeak, but only when I put a particular shoe insert in. Drives me nuts. I need the insert for a heel problem and without it in, those athletic shoes are uncomfortable. If your foot liners are removable, try walking in the shoes without them and see if they squeak. If they don't, I'd return the shoes.

How sad, you've found what sounds like a really good shoe, fashion and bargin wise. Too bad they announce your arrival before you do...
I wear inserts for a heel problem, also. I found that when I get a new pair of shoes, I would sprinkle powder in the shoe, and then they wouldn't squeak.

Today's new friend become tomorrow's family

Ohio - Cleveland, Lakewood, North Ridgeville, North Olmsted, Marblehead, Elyria; Florida - Village of Bonita (2010)
Old 08-25-2010, 09:20 PM
Soaring Parsley
Default the squeaky Boomer gets the grease

Thanks, girls, for all the suggestions.

I know it's not my joints, GG. Isn't that what WD-40 is really for? (Well, actually sometimes I like to dab a little WD-40 behind my ears. I think that stuff smells wonderful. On really special occasions, I have been known to dab a little Grand Marnier behind my ears. I think the smell of Grand Marnier is too wonderful to try to describe.) But I digress, back to my sandals....

Tonight I decided to try my sandals again. So I put them on and got busy on some house stuff, including cleaning out the refrigerator which is what I almost always do on Garbage Eve. Wednesday is Garbage Eve. Annie always looks on with hope in her heart. Annie got the last few ounces of turkey breast and a couple of little carrots.

I needed to get rid of an ear of corn and two skinny slices of watermelon so I walked down the hall and delivered those to Mr. Boomer. He was in his office, still reading that book about that girl who's got a dragon tattoo and plays with fire and kicks hornets' nests.

I returned to the kitchen and bustled about some more.

Well, I was so heavily involved in all my domesticity and leftovers-pushing that I did not notice right away that my new shoes had stopped squeaking!

I don't know how it happened. Maybe it was that the sole needed to be compressed. Maybe it was all the good vibes from the Girl Talk thread. Whatever it was, I am happy that they are working out fine now. And they are getting more and more comfortable as the leather stretches out a little.. The fit is perfect.

I bought these shoes at the mall, but I found a picture of them on Zappos just now so you could see them if you want to.....

http://clarks.zappos.com/n/p/dp/59639571/c/3.html

And thanks again for helping.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 08-26-2010 at 08:58 AM.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:26 PM
Sage

Boomer, you could have made a turkey-carrot-melon smoothie.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:31 PM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkcunningham1 View Post
Boomer, you could have made a turkey-carrot-melon smoothie.
I can't find that little laughing guy who rolls around on the floor -- but anyway, that made me laugh out loud - but you forgot the corn -- should I have put in the cob, too? Fiber you know.

Boomer
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.