Amazon delivered to wrong address Amazon delivered to wrong address - Page 2 - Talk of The Villages Florida

Amazon delivered to wrong address

Reply
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old Yesterday, 11:06 AM
Taltarzac725's Avatar
Taltarzac725 Taltarzac725 is offline
Diamond Member
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 55,524
Thanks: 14,573
Thanked 5,048 Times in 3,094 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
That is not the law. From AI and several other sources:

"No, in Florida, you cannot legally keep a package delivered to your address by mistake if it is addressed to someone else."
I believe it is a Federal crime to open someone else's mail. I had some mail opened and scattered all over the front yard when I jumped at very cheap rent in Minneapolis but the apartment was across the street from where a lot of drug dealing was going down. I made it a point to get in by dusk as things came out at night there . In the day, too. My connection for getting the apartment told me that when he called to see how things were going. I soon moved onto the campus at the U of Minnesota. I did hear gunshots on occasion. This was probably one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in Minneapolis in 1988.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; Yesterday at 12:40 PM.
  #17  
Old Yesterday, 11:10 AM
retiredguy123 retiredguy123 is offline
Diamond Member
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 20,093
Thanks: 3,625
Thanked 18,638 Times in 7,564 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
I believe it is a Federal crime to open someone else's mail. I had some mail opened and scattered all over the front yard when I jumped at very cheap rent in Minneapolis but the apartment was across the street from where a lot if drug dealing was going down. I made it a point to get in by dusk as things came out at night there . In the day, too. My connection for getting the apartment told me that when he called to see how things were going. I soon moved onto the campus at the U of Minnesota. I did hear gunshots on occasion. This was probably one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in Minneapolis in 1988.
A package deIivered by Amazon is not USPS mail.

Last edited by retiredguy123; Yesterday at 11:19 AM.
  #18  
Old Yesterday, 11:18 AM
LeRoySmith LeRoySmith is offline
Gold Member
Join Date: Oct 2023
Location: The Enclave
Posts: 1,054
Thanks: 200
Thanked 842 Times in 397 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenoxHillLil View Post
Flip side of that is if you get a package with the wrong address on it by law it becomes yours no matter what addresses are on it. Possession being 9/10 of the law you do not have to return it or drive around looking for where it was suposed to go. This happened to us twice we got a nice desk lamp and a set of towels. Amazon will send a replacement to the person who ordered it.
I copy and pasted your post into chatgpt and it returned this.

§812.136 expressly covers packages addressed to another person and expressly includes commercial couriers. It makes it mail theft to knowingly take/obtain the package with intent to deprive the intended recipient of it or appropriate it for someone not entitled to it.
__________________
I've got a pool. I've got a pond. Pond's good for you...
  #19  
Old Yesterday, 11:21 AM
LeRoySmith LeRoySmith is offline
Gold Member
Join Date: Oct 2023
Location: The Enclave
Posts: 1,054
Thanks: 200
Thanked 842 Times in 397 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
A package deIivered by Amazon is not USPS mail.
The way I interpret this is considered mail.

§812.136 expressly covers packages addressed to another person and expressly includes commercial couriers. It makes it mail theft to knowingly take/obtain the package with intent to deprive the intended recipient of it or appropriate it for someone not entitled to it.


Legal or not, keeping someone else stuff is skeezy.
__________________
I've got a pool. I've got a pond. Pond's good for you...
  #20  
Old Yesterday, 11:31 AM
retiredguy123 retiredguy123 is offline
Diamond Member
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 20,093
Thanks: 3,625
Thanked 18,638 Times in 7,564 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRoySmith View Post
The way I interpret this is considered mail.

§812.136 expressly covers packages addressed to another person and expressly includes commercial couriers. It makes it mail theft to knowingly take/obtain the package with intent to deprive the intended recipient of it or appropriate it for someone not entitled to it.


Legal or not, keeping someone else stuff is skeezy.
The poster may be confusing an "unordered" package with a "misdelivered" package. If you receive a package that has your name and address on it, it is considered a gift and it is legal to keep it (both Florida and Federal law). However, if you receive a package that has someone else's name on it, it is not legal to keep it, and it is considered theft (Florida law 812.15).

Last edited by retiredguy123; Yesterday at 11:40 AM.
  #21  
Old Yesterday, 11:33 AM
LeRoySmith LeRoySmith is offline
Gold Member
Join Date: Oct 2023
Location: The Enclave
Posts: 1,054
Thanks: 200
Thanked 842 Times in 397 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
The poster may be confusing an "unordered" package with a "misdelivered" package. If you receive a package that has your name and address on it, it is considered a gift and it is legal to keep it (both Florida and Federal law). However, if you receive a package that has someone else's name on it, it is not legal to keep it, and it is considered theft (Florida law).
Sounds right to me
__________________
I've got a pool. I've got a pond. Pond's good for you...
  #22  
Old Yesterday, 12:17 PM
LenoxHillLil LenoxHillLil is offline
Newbie
Join Date: Jul 2026
Posts: 29
Thanks: 0
Thanked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
I believe it is a Federal crime to open someone else's mail. I had some mail opened and scattered all over the front yard when I jumped at very cheap rent in Minneapolis but the apartment was across the street from where a lot if drug dealing was going down. I made it a point to get in by dusk as things came out at night there . In the day, too. My connection for getting the apartment told me that when he called to see how things were going. I soon moved onto the campus at the U of Minnesota. I did hear gunshots on occasion. This was probably one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in Minneapolis in 1988.

Amazon is not mail.
  #23  
Old Yesterday, 12:21 PM
BrianL99 BrianL99 is online now
Platinum member
Join Date: Dec 2021
Posts: 5,467
Thanks: 324
Thanked 4,648 Times in 1,965 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenoxHillLil View Post
Amazon is not mail.
Doesn't much matter.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot 2026-09-29 at 1.21.10 PM.jpg  
  #24  
Old Yesterday, 12:41 PM
Ecuadog's Avatar
Ecuadog Ecuadog is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Limbo
Posts: 2,606
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1,308 Times in 630 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenoxHillLil View Post
Flip side of that is if you get a package with the wrong address on it by law it becomes yours no matter what addresses are on it. Possession being 9/10 of the law you do not have to return it or drive around looking for where it was suposed to go. This happened to us twice we got a nice desk lamp and a set of towels. Amazon will send a replacement to the person who ordered it.
It sounds like there is a moral compass in need of calibration.
  #25  
Old Yesterday, 01:26 PM
LeRoySmith LeRoySmith is offline
Gold Member
Join Date: Oct 2023
Location: The Enclave
Posts: 1,054
Thanks: 200
Thanked 842 Times in 397 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecuadog View Post
It sounds like there is a moral compass in need of calibration.
Maybe the next stolen package will include a moral compass.....
__________________
I've got a pool. I've got a pond. Pond's good for you...
  #26  
Old Yesterday, 01:39 PM
Hape2Bhr Hape2Bhr is offline
Gold Member
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 504
Thanks: 236
Thanked 376 Times in 179 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenoxHillLil View Post
Amazon is not mail.
So, there goes the neighborhood.
  #27  
Old Yesterday, 03:39 PM
maggie1 maggie1 is offline
Silver Member
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 258
Thanks: 30
Thanked 311 Times in 114 Posts
Default Amazon Mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
One thing that has not been mentioned is that, when you get a delivery from Amazon, you also get a photo of the front porch with the package on it. When this happens, you can drive around and look for the porch where the package was delivered.
This has happened to us twice, and although we did receive a photo on where it was placed to the approach to the house, we had to walk a few houses in either direction to find it. Most of the homes in our neighborhood all look alike, at least on the front walk to the house. No big deal, I needed the exercise anyway.
  #28  
Old Today, 04:56 AM
HBKoerner HBKoerner is offline
Newbie
Join Date: Jul 2024
Posts: 7
Thanks: 12
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Default

I have had two deliveries go to my neighbors, and have delivered two others that came to our address, all in the past month. I think the drivers are looking at their Apple Maps and not the street address itself, because that will get you to the wrong place. I could not find a way to actually talk to an Amazon rep, so I sent an email to Jeff Bezos, the largest stockholder, and got a reply from some minion askiing for details. I sent photos of the photos I received of the deliveries, and the numbers of the orders, and they got back to me to say that this has been addressed, and are sorry it happened.

I didn't expect to hear from Jeff, but it was fun to get someone to acknowledge what is going on.

I have since joined Walmart and am ordering more stuff from them than Amazon. I find the deliveries are quicker and use less packaging. The prices are similar as well. No charges for shipping if you are a member, and they are usually faster than Amazon.
  #29  
Old Today, 05:33 AM
maggie1 maggie1 is offline
Silver Member
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 258
Thanks: 30
Thanked 311 Times in 114 Posts
Default Wrong Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRoySmith View Post
Some folks never cease to amaze me. If the package has a name and or address on it, and you choose to keep it I think very little of your character.

This is the kind of thinking that has screwed our society.
Amen, brother!
  #30  
Old Today, 05:43 AM
FredMitchell FredMitchell is offline
Silver Member
Join Date: Aug 2023
Posts: 363
Thanks: 64
Thanked 257 Times in 130 Posts
Default

If you opt for in-garage delivery, it won't be left at the wrong address. At the wrong addresses, the garage doors won't open.

To be sure, you may not yet have a working setup for your garage door, but you can research what works with Amazon and install a system that meets their requirements.

Nice features. Packages won't get stolen or sit in the rain.
Reply

Tags
address, happy, wrong


You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:56 PM.