Lithium batteries

Closed Thread
Old 04-08-2016, 08:43 AM
Veteran member
Default Congratulations

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
You must install the solar at that same time as the batteries on the same invoice.

But speak to your accountant to be sure

Thanks for your support

Congratulations Bob,
Once again you are leading the field and very reasonably priced as well.
Good luck with your new venture
Old 04-08-2016, 09:56 AM

Jim sent you a pm.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:44 AM

The lithium ion polymer batteries are what RC units use and they have a danger of catching fire.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:13 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
We met a painting contractor who just joined the RC Flying Club that my husband belongs to. A few Saturdays ago he left the small lithium batteries that power model airplanes on charge while he and his family went to breakfast. He said the batteries felt "warm" but didn't think anything about it. Something went wrong and the house caught fire shortly after they had gone. My husband charges his lithium batteries in a sturdy metal container and only while he is at home and awake. So far so good.
I also sail model boats and use them, but you need to put thing in perspective, those are not built the same.

But more importantly they are not charged with a $1500 battery management system. they are charge with a $40 charger.

.While I understand your concern, that concern is not present herein.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:40 AM
Sage
Lightbulb

Ok, I'm going top be at Brownwood, this Wednesday the 13th between 1-3pm.

Should be EZ to spot the only cart with a panel.

Hope to see those of you interested there.

I also have more info on the lithium batteries.

For any of you that are serious I will have some incentives ($$) for the first two buyers.

Old 04-12-2016, 06:04 AM
Sage
Arrow

here are two typical installs
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	goSolar.png
Views:	745
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	59086   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	goSolarElec.png
Views:	574
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	59087   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Installed System A1.jpg
Views:	680
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	59088   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Lithium Boost System installed.jpg
Views:	686
Size:	247.7 KB
ID:	59090  
Old 04-13-2016, 11:11 AM
Sage
Lightbulb

I'll be at Brownwood from 1-3 today

I understand that a Lithium cart will be there.
Old 04-14-2016, 07:12 AM
Sage
Exclamation

Thanks to all that showed up, we had a Lithium cart on display.

Very interesting get together.

Next week I'll be at Lake Sumter on Tuesday from 1-2 PM
Old 04-14-2016, 10:10 AM
Sage

I had a e-mail some one didn't spot us yesterday.

Here's what my toy looks like,
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	cart .jpg
Views:	625
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	59147  
Old 04-14-2016, 11:21 AM
Sage
Lightbulb Here's some info

Lead-acid batteries work by discharging hydrogen ions from a negatively charged lead electrode to a second lead electrode that is positively charged. What makes the transfer possible is a solution of sulphuric acid and water, in which both electrodes are submerged. Lithium-ion batteries substitute the lead electrodes for a lithium compound and the sulphuric acid for one of several organic solvents.
Low Long-Term Cost

It is estimated that most electric golf carts, are powered by traditional lead-acid batteries despite the advantages of rechargeable lithium batteries. The primary reason for this stems from the one major disadvantage of lithium-ion batteries: They have a high upfront cost. However, when you factor in performance and lifespan, lithium-ion batteries are a much more cost-effective choice.

Although lithium-ion batteries are more expensive than standard batteries, they are rated to survive up to 5,000 charge cycles with a full discharge each time while lead-acid batteries can only go through about 500 cycles at an 80 percent discharge. This means that lithium batteries will last up to ten times longer. With traditional batteries, or used golf cart batteries, you will need to replace them every two to three years, but with lithium-ion batteries, you may never need to change them out again. The lifespan of many of these batteries actually exceeds the operational lifespan of many golf carts

Improved Performance

While a lower lifetime cost is enough to drive most people to replace their lead-acid batteries with lithium-ion batteries, the latter also delivers improves performance. Because lead-acid batteries discharge at a slower rate as the charge depletes, they stop producing enough voltage for operating a golf cart when they are still 30 percent full. This is wildly inefficient and it drastically reduces the range of the vehicle on a single charge.

In addition to increasing a vehicle’s range, lithium-ion batteries increase its speed and carrying capacity because they are so much smaller and lighter than lead-acid batteries are. Lithium-ion batteries are about one-half the size and one-third the weight of standard batteries.

The reduced weight increases the vehicle’s range even more, especially when driving uphill or on rough terrain, and the golf cart won’t track through the grass or tear it up when it is wet. Furthermore, a lighter vehicle puts less stress on the brakes, improving braking distance and increasing the time before they need to be replaced.

Lastly, lithium-ion batteries charge much more quickly than lead-acid batteries do. The average time it takes to recharge a golf cart after 18 holes is eight hours, but lithium batteries can reach 80 percent capacity in only one hour and obtain a full charge in only 2.5 to three hours.

With solar shore tied charging is not needed

Other Benefits of Lithium-Ion Batteries

When you replace the standard batteries in your golf cart with lithium-ion batteries, you can expect to experience the following additional benefits:

No maintenance – Lithium-ion batteries have no water levels to check, have no build-up on the connectors and do not corrode.
Environmentally friendly – Because they last so long and do not degrade, lithium batteries do not need to be frequently destroyed or recycled.
Safe – Although early types of lithium batteries were prone to overheating, new versions are as safe as or even safer than standard batteries.

A sophisticated State-of-the-Art Battery Management system monitors each of the 15 batteries and uses 15 individual chargers built in.

this totally balances the charge precisely.
Old 04-15-2016, 06:55 AM
Veteran member
Default How does the tax return work

Quote:
Lead-acid batteries work by discharging hydrogen ions from a negatively charged lead electrode to a second lead electrode that is positively charged. What makes the transfer possible is a solution of sulphuric acid and water, in which both electrodes are submerged. Lithium-ion batteries substitute the lead electrodes for a lithium compound and the sulphuric acid for one of several organic solvents.
Low Long-Term Cost

It is estimated that most electric golf carts, are powered by traditional lead-acid batteries despite the advantages of rechargeable lithium batteries. The primary reason for this stems from the one major disadvantage of lithium-ion batteries: They have a high upfront cost. However, when you factor in performance and lifespan, lithium-ion batteries are a much more cost-effective choice.

Although lithium-ion batteries are more expensive than standard batteries, they are rated to survive up to 5,000 charge cycles with a full discharge each time while lead-acid batteries can only go through about 500 cycles at an 80 percent discharge. This means that lithium batteries will last up to ten times longer. With traditional batteries, or used golf cart batteries, you will need to replace them every two to three years, but with lithium-ion batteries, you may never need to change them out again. The lifespan of many of these batteries actually exceeds the operational lifespan of many golf carts

Improved Performance

While a lower lifetime cost is enough to drive most people to replace their lead-acid batteries with lithium-ion batteries, the latter also delivers improves performance. Because lead-acid batteries discharge at a slower rate as the charge depletes, they stop producing enough voltage for operating a golf cart when they are still 30 percent full. This is wildly inefficient and it drastically reduces the range of the vehicle on a single charge.

In addition to increasing a vehicle’s range, lithium-ion batteries increase its speed and carrying capacity because they are so much smaller and lighter than lead-acid batteries are. Lithium-ion batteries are about one-half the size and one-third the weight of standard batteries.

The reduced weight increases the vehicle’s range even more, especially when driving uphill or on rough terrain, and the golf cart won’t track through the grass or tear it up when it is wet. Furthermore, a lighter vehicle puts less stress on the brakes, improving braking distance and increasing the time before they need to be replaced.

Lastly, lithium-ion batteries charge much more quickly than lead-acid batteries do. The average time it takes to recharge a golf cart after 18 holes is eight hours, but lithium batteries can reach 80 percent capacity in only one hour and obtain a full charge in only 2.5 to three hours.

With solar shore tied charging is not needed

Other Benefits of Lithium-Ion Batteries

When you replace the standard batteries in your golf cart with lithium-ion batteries, you can expect to experience the following additional benefits:

No maintenance – Lithium-ion batteries have no water levels to check, have no build-up on the connectors and do not corrode.
Environmentally friendly – Because they last so long and do not degrade, lithium batteries do not need to be frequently destroyed or recycled.
Safe – Although early types of lithium batteries were prone to overheating, new versions are as safe as or even safer than standard batteries.

A sophisticated State-of-the-Art Battery Management system monitors each of the 15 batteries and uses 15 individual chargers built in.

this totally balances the charge precisely.

Hi Bob,
Wow, sounds impressive, but as you say the only real drawback is the upfront cost. 👿👿

Somewhere in one of the threads you say you have negotiated with the supplier and almost halved the cost now to us in TV. 👍👍

How much would a full set cost now if I wanted to change my batteries today?
Old 04-15-2016, 06:58 AM
Sage
Thumbs up

The best deal is $3500 after rebate with 100ah lithium and full solar system.

Without solar it costs more, so it's like free solar.

Old 04-15-2016, 08:17 AM
Sage

it's only about 9:15, heavy overcast.

My solar panels is charges at the rate of 55.6 volts without real Sun....
Old 04-15-2016, 03:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
I had a e-mail some one didn't spot us yesterday.

Here's what my toy looks like,
No headlights or directionals?
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 04-15-2016, 04:09 PM
Sage
Smile

Someone asked that question the other day in the other solar thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
Correct me if Im wrong, but I can't see any headlights on that cart.
Stealth...leds
Closed Thread

Tags
system, solar, lithium, cost, tax, batteries, battery, big, add, range, technology, charge, longer, life, open, plug, owner, minded, time, year, hour, power, shore, average, fast

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.