Looking for Golf Buddies

Closed Thread
Old 06-29-2016, 12:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts
Default Looking for Golf Buddies

I've just been showing up at some of the executives courses and getting on as a single. I've never had to wait more than a few minutes and have been very happy to play with all of the different people that I've met. The problem I have is that so far every one of them wanted to play from the gold tees. I'd prefer not to make things complicated so I go along and play the same tees. Then, although I don't mind playing with anyone, most of them have been below average players. I've played with players of all skill levels over the years but I'd prefer not to make a steady diet of it.

I'm looking for people to play with who want to play the gold markers at different execs. You don't have to be a great player, an eighteen handicap or below would be fine.

I usually go to club meetings on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday mornings and I have rehearsal every Saturday from 11:00 - 3:00. Other than that, I am available. I don't mind playing in the heat. Many of the rounds I've played have been around 11:00 but I'm flexible.

PM me if you're interested in getting together.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:06 AM
Sage

No one??

Are you all afraid? I don't bite. (Well, there was that one time, but I gotten therapy).

Come on, I know there are people out there that like to play golf.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:42 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
No one??

Are you all afraid? I don't bite. (Well, there was that one time, but I gotten therapy).

Come on, I know there are people out there that like to play golf.
My hand still hurts !
Old 06-30-2016, 11:06 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
My hand still hurts !
Let me know when it's better. You're fun to play with.

Old 06-30-2016, 01:13 PM
Gold member

Maybe your requirements for fellow players are scaring people off. Many many people who play executive courses are just out to have fun and don't even have an official handicap. Personally we like to play with all kinds of people, don't forget, everyone had to start somewhere. In the summer not that many people want to play mid day. Why not look into men's day at the executive courses, may be more serious golfers who play then. Have you tried the level one courses? Or perhaps you need to play championship courses to find players who play up to your standards.
Old 06-30-2016, 01:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudder View Post
Maybe your requirements for fellow players are scaring people off. Many many people who play executive courses are just out to have fun and don't even have an official handicap. Personally we like to play with all kinds of people, don't forget, everyone had to start somewhere. In the summer not that many people want to play mid day. Why not look into men's day at the executive courses, may be more serious golfers who play then. Have you tried the level one courses? Or perhaps you need to play championship courses to find players who play up to your standards.
As I said, I really don't mind playing with anyone. It's just that I would like to play with some better players occasionally. I've played with DonH57 and he's sort of a beginner and I enjoyed playing with him. I also would like to hit some different clubs on some of these course which means playing from the back tees.

I really have no problem with beginners. I just don't want a steady diet of them. I also don't want to make things complicated by playing from a different set of tees then everyone else. Hitting pitching wedge and gap wedge on every hole gets a bit boring.

Old 06-30-2016, 02:13 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Usually the foursome I've played in regularly two of them are more experienced and hit from the blacks then the other two hit from the gold. I play from the yardage I'm most comfortable and move accordingly.
Old 06-30-2016, 03:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Whenever you're ready to play the championships send me a message. Now is the best time before snowbirds and green fees go up Oct 1st, what they do is knock off the after 11am discount. Usually we play between noon and 1:30. I play with my neighbor, he still works 2 or 3 days a weeks, so we work around that on weekdays. I also I quit softball two weeks ago after 15 seasons in a row, so we've played the last two Saturdays as well.

My neighbor is from Mass and is a huge Red Sox/Patriots fan and he's into heavy metal and rock guitarist. We play from the blue tees, he shot a 74 last Saturday on Havana Kilmanjaro to Kenya, he's always in the 70's. He actually using a new swing since he's gotten an arthritic hip, that's why we haven't yet played this week, he was getting a cortisone shot yesterday.

I'm an Orioles/Ravens fan and big Beatles fan and we usually ride in my gas cart which has said teams stickers all over, he doesn't mind. I'm not near as good, I shot 84 last week from the Blues. His business partner usually plays with us as well, he's a Jaguars/Gators fan since he is from Jacksonville. He plays low 80's like me, but he did shoot a 78 last week from the blues and he usually rides in his cart alone, so you could fit right in.

We're in the Cane Garden area but will play anywhere from Glenview to Palmer, Mallory to Cane to Bonifay, Belle Glade to Evans Prairie to Havana. We don't get up to Terra Del Sol or Hacienda much, besides those are only 18 holes and the others I mentioned are 27 hole layouts. If you wanted to play we could probably set up Mallory since that's closer to you, although one of the toughest holes in TV on Caroline #5 is a temporary Par 3 while they redo the hole. We would probably want to avoid that nine. It wouldn't be too tough for you to shoot straight down Morse to Havana. That's one of our favorites along with the newest course Belle Glade.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:13 PM
Sage

Hey, almost sounds like there could be a ToTV Champ course group with a little effort.

We got an Exec course group started via ToTV a while back and it worked out great...still going strong.

FWIW, I'm about a low-to-mid 80's player.
Old 07-01-2016, 06:53 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Hey, almost sounds like there could be a ToTV Champ course group with a little effort.

We got an Exec course group started via ToTV a while back and it worked out great...still going strong.

FWIW, I'm about a low-to-mid 80's player.
When is the exec group and how do I get in it?

Old 07-01-2016, 06:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Whenever you're ready to play the championships send me a message. Now is the best time before snowbirds and green fees go up Oct 1st, what they do is knock off the after 11am discount. Usually we play between noon and 1:30. I play with my neighbor, he still works 2 or 3 days a weeks, so we work around that on weekdays. I also I quit softball two weeks ago after 15 seasons in a row, so we've played the last two Saturdays as well.

My neighbor is from Mass and is a huge Red Sox/Patriots fan and he's into heavy metal and rock guitarist. We play from the blue tees, he shot a 74 last Saturday on Havana Kilmanjaro to Kenya, he's always in the 70's. He actually using a new swing since he's gotten an arthritic hip, that's why we haven't yet played this week, he was getting a cortisone shot yesterday.

I'm an Orioles/Ravens fan and big Beatles fan and we usually ride in my gas cart which has said teams stickers all over, he doesn't mind. I'm not near as good, I shot 84 last week from the Blues. His business partner usually plays with us as well, he's a Jaguars/Gators fan since he is from Jacksonville. He plays low 80's like me, but he did shoot a 78 last week from the blues and he usually rides in his cart alone, so you could fit right in.

We're in the Cane Garden area but will play anywhere from Glenview to Palmer, Mallory to Cane to Bonifay, Belle Glade to Evans Prairie to Havana. We don't get up to Terra Del Sol or Hacienda much, besides those are only 18 holes and the others I mentioned are 27 hole layouts. If you wanted to play we could probably set up Mallory since that's closer to you, although one of the toughest holes in TV on Caroline #5 is a temporary Par 3 while they redo the hole. We would probably want to avoid that nine. It wouldn't be too tough for you to shoot straight down Morse to Havana. That's one of our favorites along with the newest course Belle Glade.
I had a severe injury to my left foot about seven years ago. I was told at that time that I'd never play golf again. Prior to that I had three back surgeries, a torn labrum in my shoulder repaired, bi-lateral frozen shoulders repaired a torn meniscus in my knee operated on. I think that nine holes on the executives is about all I can handle. I'm pretty sore even after just doing that.

I don't think the championship courses are in my future.

Old 07-01-2016, 08:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
I had a severe injury to my left foot about seven years ago. I was told at that time that I'd never play golf again. Prior to that I had three back surgeries, a torn labrum in my shoulder repaired, bi-lateral frozen shoulders repaired a torn meniscus in my knee operated on. I think that nine holes on the executives is about all I can handle. I'm pretty sore even after just doing that.

I don't think the championship courses are in my future.
I totally agree if I had to deal with all that. I've got a degenertive lower back L1 thru L5, so my plan is to use it or lose it. The guy from Jacksonville had a frozen shoulder last year but it went away on his own. My neighbor from Boston like I mentioned had a bad hip and is taking cortisone shots. It seems once we get in our 60's we start to fall apart.
Old 07-01-2016, 09:19 AM

I am also looking for some one to play with. Prefer the championship and don't mind the heat. Usually I play from the blues. I work full time but love to play evenings and weekends. It is a grea time to play if you can stay away from the lightning storms..lol
Old 07-01-2016, 08:52 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post

Need to get up north more. Hacienda has 27 holes. Oaks, Lakes and Palms. Played there this week and the course is in great shape.
Old 07-04-2016, 09:23 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default OhioBuckeye

Quote:
I've just been showing up at some of the executives courses and getting on as a single. I've never had to wait more than a few minutes and have been very happy to play with all of the different people that I've met. The problem I have is that so far every one of them wanted to play from the gold tees. I'd prefer not to make things complicated so I go along and play the same tees. Then, although I don't mind playing with anyone, most of them have been below average players. I've played with players of all skill levels over the years but I'd prefer not to make a steady diet of it.

I'm looking for people to play with who want to play the gold markers at different execs. You don't have to be a great player, an eighteen handicap or below would be fine.

I usually go to club meetings on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday mornings and I have rehearsal every Saturday from 11:00 - 3:00. Other than that, I am available. I don't mind playing in the heat. Many of the rounds I've played have been around 11:00 but I'm flexible.

PM me if you're interested in getting together.
To bad I don't know you because I would play with you. I'll play any one of the tees. I play equally bad from all of them, LOL. You know I've played with men that play the black tees & women that play the blue tees & neither one can hit the ball 100 ft. at a time & it doesn't bother me one bit as long as we're not holding anybody up. When you're at Beatlemania I'm accross the hall shooting pool. Come over & ask for Dave & we'll set up a tee time! PS: But right now I won't be home until about July!18th.
Closed Thread

Tags
play, playing, people, mind, make

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.