Looking for low handicap groups to play with

Closed Thread
Old 11-14-2010, 11:18 AM
Default Looking for low handicap groups to play with

I'm new to the Villages - arrive on 18 November. I've already determined that to get a tee time, I'll need to go ahead and get priority membership which I plan to do. I'm a 2 handicap and at clubs I've belonged in the past, was always lucky enough to have a dozen or so low handicappers that liked to have a regular low handicap pot game.

Does anyone know of any low handicap groups that play regularly (have a regular pot game) and which course(s) they tend to play regularly on?

Thanks - looking forward to settling in.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:28 AM
Sage

I am not aware of any, but have not looked.... they must exist. I think your best bet is to talk with the pro at some country clubs. I would ask first at Glenview. I am not trying to slight any other clubs, but IMO the pro/managers at GV seem more "into" golf than a place like Havana or Mallory. Ask the manager (Steve), he may have some insight, he is good stick.

Next I would try Palmer, ask out at the teaching barn or club maker shop.

What is a "pot" game? I am guessing winner take all medal play?

Good luck.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:33 AM
Founder

A friend of mine plays every week in a "low" handicap group. I played with them only once. I'm not sure if they are inducting new members, but I can find out. I'll bet they are.

JLK
Old 11-16-2010, 06:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhs9099 View Post
I'm new to the Villages - arrive on 18 November. I've already determined that to get a tee time, I'll need to go ahead and get priority membership which I plan to do. I'm a 2 handicap and at clubs I've belonged in the past, was always lucky enough to have a dozen or so low handicappers that liked to have a regular low handicap pot game.

Does anyone know of any low handicap groups that play regularly (have a regular pot game) and which course(s) they tend to play regularly on?

Thanks - looking forward to settling in.

p.s., Welcome to TV and to TOTV! I know you're going to love it here. All best wishes!
Old 11-16-2010, 07:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,540 Times in 1,926 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
I am not aware of any, but have not looked.... they must exist. I think your best bet is to talk with the pro at some country clubs. I would ask first at Glenview. I am not trying to slight any other clubs, but IMO the pro/managers at GV seem more "into" golf than a place like Havana or Mallory. Ask the manager (Steve), he may have some insight, he is good stick.

Next I would try Palmer, ask out at the teaching barn or club maker shop.

What is a "pot" game? I am guessing winner take all medal play?

Good luck.
I am guessing it's the same as playing "skins".

OH...and welcome to you, dhs9099. You are gonna fit in fine. There are a lot of good golfers and a lot like me too.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:44 PM

Hey,

Welcome to TV! I'll be there next year, but I'm a female with a 5 handicap and love to bet. Have a problem with a woman player? If not, you'll have the time of your life, I love to hit the ball and giggle.

We will be living in Buttonwood.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:16 AM

I enjoying playing golf with anyone from all skill levels, but particularly like to, at least once a week, tee it up with folks that are single digit regardless of their gender. By the time you get here in a year, I should know the lay of the land with respect to finding some low handicap groups that play regularly. See you then.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:14 PM
Default Play competitive golf tournaments

You will definitely want to check out the Senior Amateur Golf Tour web site and select North Central Florida. It sounds like it would be a good fit for you.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:01 PM

Thanks - I'll check it out. I'm a member of the Golf Channel Amateur Tour but haven't played any events down here yet. Unfortunately, that tour doesn't have a local tour in this area (only Tampa and Orlando and JAX are the closest). Thanks again for the tip.

Last edited by dhs9099; 12-22-2010 at 05:18 PM.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.