Pace of Play

Closed Thread
Old 01-22-2015, 08:25 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,327 Posts

Enjoy the view!
Old 01-22-2015, 08:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

While we're young.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:49 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolmaidstone View Post
Extract from the first post
" On the 8th tee the ranger arrived for the third time to bitch at us about the pace of play. He said we were holding up the whole course and that the group in front of us was a whole hole ahead. I spoke up loudly that as long we finished in the allotted time, what the people in front of us and behind us do is not our problem. Golf is for enjoyment, I paid for my time on the course and I can tell you that after being growled at by the ranger my enjoyment level went down (as well as my golf performance) for the next few holes. "

Unfortunately, this is a situation seen all too often on the golf course and can lead to frustration all round. Although I can understand that being reprimanded might be annoying, appreciation of golf etiquette might alleviate this: no matter what your pace of play, even within the bounds of the 'allocated' time, players SHOULD care about other people on the course, particularly those behind. Some people do play faster than others and their game can be ruined by having to wait on every shot, knowing that the group in front have fallen behind by at least one hole. Why not call those people through? They can enjoy their game at a pace that suits them, and so can the players that are less speedy - simply by being courteous. As stated, you've paid for your time on the course and want to enjoy it. So does everyone else!
carolmaidstone: you do not identify what type of course you were playing or the allotted time per hole and your pace of play time. I may infer if an ambassador visited you three times that while you believed your pace of play was in line it may well not have been.

Golf is for enjoyment is a valid statement. Paying for one's time is also a valid statement but deducing from both when viewing the dynamics of play on the course in question is flawed. Every player there wants to enjoy golf. Every player there paid for their time. It doesn't give any player the right to poke along or to look extensively for a lost ball or to keeping hitting the ball an 8th 9tth 10th....time In the pocket exists for a reason.

I have played behind people who have shown this entitlement and it always mean that I wished I packed a lunch

Personal Best Regards
Old 01-22-2015, 04:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter123 View Post
Maybe we should all be fitted with "Pace Makers"! Or maybe dog collars that the ambassadors can activate if necessary!
I've already tried the latter by mistake. No thank you.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
carolmaidstone: you do not identify what type of course you were playing or the allotted time per hole and your pace of play time. I may infer if an ambassador visited you three times that while you believed your pace of play was in line it may well not have been.

Golf is for enjoyment is a valid statement. Paying for one's time is also a valid statement but deducing from both when viewing the dynamics of play on the course in question is flawed. Every player there wants to enjoy golf. Every player there paid for their time. It doesn't give any player the right to poke along or to look extensively for a lost ball or to keeping hitting the ball an 8th 9tth 10th....time In the pocket exists for a reason.

I have played behind people who have shown this entitlement and it always mean that I wished I packed a lunch

Personal Best Regards
Rubicon. I think carolmaidstone thinks similarly to you. She was also making the point that you are not alone on the course and that a group's attention to pace of play benefits all. And inattention to it affects everyone behind them negatively. I think she was referring to the OP who had three encounters with the ambassador, not herself.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:05 PM
Sage

I walk. So when my golf is bad at least the walk was good.

I carry a 50X optical zoom lense camera. So when the golf is slow I shoot water birds and can zoom in so they don't get spooked.

I try to get to know the others I'm paired up with. So when the golf is slow it turns into a blind date of sorts. And I enjoy meeting new people.

It's rare that I have a bad time playing the exec courses and it's rare that the rest of my foresome has a bad time too. They may get upset with themselves but the overwhelming majority are self-forgiving and laugh about it.

When it comes to golf, I tell people that for me TV is like a free buffet.

I play almost every day with strangers. I think less then 3 times a year I was paired up with someone I played with before. Of course I don't remember as much as I used to so take that for what it's worth.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:49 PM
Sage
Default Pace of Play

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
I walk. So when my golf is bad at least the walk was good.

I carry a 50X optical zoom lense camera. So when the golf is slow I shoot water birds and can zoom in so they don't get spooked.

I try to get to know the others I'm paired up with. So when the golf is slow it turns into a blind date of sorts. And I enjoy meeting new people.

It's rare that I have a bad time playing the exec courses and it's rare that the rest of my foresome has a bad time too. They may get upset with themselves but the overwhelming majority are self-forgiving and laugh about it.

When it comes to golf, I tell people that for me TV is like a free buffet.

I play almost every day with strangers. I think less then 3 times a year I was paired up with someone I played with before. Of course I don't remember as much as I used to so take that for what it's worth.

Wow. I absolutely love your post, tomweb. I'm still rather new to golf in TV. (I moved here just over a year ago and then proceeded to have major surgery...so just really getting into the swing of things. (No pun intended...well...maybe pun intended a little bit. Heheh.) I agree with almost every word of your post. Walking, playing with strangers, enjoying the Execs, the free buffet. Everything. I think you've even convinced me to buy a hi-res zoom camera.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:21 AM

What about the stress levels and enjoyment factor of the golfers behind you. If you were told on the sixth you were slow, it could impact tee times on one. I believe telling the ambassador 'it was not your problem' might have set the tone for future encounters.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:59 AM
Veteran member

We played more than 20 times in December on the 'free' courses. Never paired with others twice. Always nice people. Just wish there was more social intercourse afterwards..
Old 01-23-2015, 10:26 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,034 Times in 364 Posts

I got a kick out of the previous post. Maybe interaction might have been a better choice of words.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:31 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Nelson View Post
We played more than 20 times in December on the 'free' courses. Never paired with others twice. Always nice people. Just wish there was more social intercourse afterwards..
social 'intercourse' in sumter county is worse than peddling drugs. we have hanging judges here!
Old 01-23-2015, 10:45 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Nelson View Post
Did you mean "Social offthecourse"?
Old 01-23-2015, 10:47 AM
Sage
Default A Different Opinion about Ambassadors

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafoto View Post
4 holes in we are warned that we are playing slowly.
On the 8th tee the ranger arrived for the third time to bitch at us about the pace of play. He said we were holding up the whole course and that the group in front of us was a whole hole ahead. I spoke up loudly....
I really like the Ambassadors. I've never met one that wasn't very pleasant and helpful. And they bring us water!
We have only once been asked to play faster, and of course we immediately sped things up.
The Ambassador thanked us after the game for being so co-operative, and he gave us coupons for a discount at the Pro Shop.
Gotta love "Free Golf For Life".
Old 01-24-2015, 10:30 PM

Played the Palms at HacHills yesterday and after waiting approx 4 minutes on the tee box, we teed off on a par 3. (It was a slow day) After finishing the the hole and walking off, the group behind us teed off as we were walking off the green with a ball rolling by. Three hole later, the same thing happened with the ball hitting the cart of our playing partners while they were getting in. We mentioned this to the ambassador on the 9th hole. Any other suggestions besides driving back and punching them out?
Old 01-24-2015, 10:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 865 Posts

My rule....first time, explain to them that they need to wait until you clear the area of the green. The second time I hit it back to them, the third time I hit it out of bounds. Did the Ambassador give you any less drastic suggestions?

Berks County Pennsylvania
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.