The Height of IGNORANCE

Closed Thread
Old 05-12-2012, 03:20 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckinca View Post
If they still had nuns in black carrying wooden rulers patrolling the aisles this wouldn't be an issue.

Mother superior I promise never to.........

and they did it because they loved you enough to care that you didn't continue to act like a jerk
Old 05-13-2012, 05:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,802 Times in 1,391 Posts

regarding the cell phones....they are such a help t our lives while at the same time an intrusion, by some few.

A couple of solutions? Cell phone scramblers in churches...hospitals...restaurants, etc.

The church leaving early problem...gates...call the pearly or what ever. The clergyman conducting the service last words for the could be, the pearly gates are now open for your convenient departure.

Why not?

btk
Old 05-13-2012, 12:36 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
regarding the cell phones.... . . . . The clergyman conducting the service last words for the could be, the pearly gates are now open for your convenient departure.

Why not?

btk
Hahahaha! Great idea! Love it!
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 05-13-2012, 12:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
I have a friend, who EVERY TIME her cellphone rings she "has" to answer it! Generally it's her grown kids and she talks with them several times a day. If she and I are out, in a restaurant having some 'girl time'---the phone will ring and she'll have that conversation. It's annoying and it's rude! She could have it go to voice-mail and call them back when she's home and alone.
I have that friend, too. It's like her 30-year-old married kids are going to die unless she solves their problem of the day. Very poor weaning! Every conversation we have is interrupted this way. It's an addiction, really.

For church I try to remember to leave the phone in the car. Most calls can wait for one hour. My phone has rung once or twice in church because I forgot to put it on vibrate. It mortifies me and I turn the power off. What I can't believe is people who are in no hurry to silence the thing if it goes off during the service......or on their job!
Old 05-13-2012, 05:15 PM
Platinum member

As one who absolutely hates that the rest of the world seems to be connected to their families and friends solely by some amorphous cyber-space system, may I state simply that any public get-together should forcefully prohibit attendees from being connected in any way to that world!

Any gathering at which I have some semblance of "I am in charge" role will begin with an admonishment that cell phones be completely disabled!

Sorry, but I think modern technolgy has been an adverse influence on our lives!

SWR
Old 05-13-2012, 05:56 PM
Sage

[QUOTE=ilovetv;492107]I have that friend, too. It's like her 30-year-old married kids are going to die unless she solves their problem of the day. Very poor weaning! Every conversation we have is interrupted this way. It's an addiction, really.

EXACTLY!!!! I have 2 friends who'd fall into this catagory! Why.oh.why do they think it's an "earth-shaking" event if they don't answer???? I would only wish they could read threads such as this....and maybe, just maybe would get a clue!
Old 05-13-2012, 06:27 PM
Sage

[quote=NotGolfer;492222]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
I have that friend, too. It's like her 30-year-old married kids are going to die unless she solves their problem of the day. Very poor weaning! Every conversation we have is interrupted this way. It's an addiction, really.

EXACTLY!!!! I have 2 friends who'd fall into this catagory! Why.oh.why do they think it's an "earth-shaking" event if they don't answer???? I would only wish they could read threads such as this....and maybe, just maybe would get a clue!
They wouldn't get a clue anyway, from reading a thread like this. They think we are "negligent and apathetic" parents if we say "He/she can wait a half hour till I leave here."
Old 07-16-2012, 11:09 PM

Some folks with M.D. may not read braille b/c they may have been recently diagnosed. Having braille letters and/or numbers on the elevator,wall,door... anywhere... may just be a bumpy button to most. We can't read braille without lessons and it is difficult to do. Point being, every blind person does not read braille, every deaf person cannot lip read, etc. People just need to count blessings one at a time. Can you imagine? The dope who made the remark needs one quarter mile in the blind persons ruby slippers. NEVER AGAIN would something be said by that enlightened person. BTW.... canes fold and go in pockets, purses. Shame on her. just sayin'
Old 07-16-2012, 11:28 PM

I have a brother named James who used to be incensed about the rudeness of those with cell phones. Every day, James would go to the same diner in New York City and have his breakfast, coffee and read the paper. All of a sudden there was a huge influx of ringing cell phones and HELLO?, Hi, Yeah, Okee gee wah... all sorts of greetings would flood the restaurant. It drove him to distraction.
And then came BERNIE, BERNICE and BERTRAM. The heavy hitters.
One day, I go to the diner with him and hear, "Watch this.". It is 3:15PM on a Wednesday and the phones are lit up. James reaches into his backpack and "HELLO??? CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW? YOU THERE? HELLO>>HELLOOOOO!!!" and they race for the sidewalk. James had purchased three devices to END calls for three minutes. It was so much fun. The screamers on the bus, the subway. Next to you in the theatre. Cut it off. They may have been illegal, but well worth the penalty. Talk about power.
On June 8, 2012, my mom passed away. She asked for a memorial service and High Mass. In the midst of the service, THE 1812 OVERTURE is blaring from someones phone and he answered it. We waited and the priest asked if it was OK to proceed when he hung up. SIDEBAR: James has a phone now. Many, many rules but he caved.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:26 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to Joaniesmom

I'm not even a church-goer but I think you were absolutely correct! Rude behavior is rude behavior no matter where it occurs.

What does your priest think about it? Would he be willing to comment on it in some venue? Perhaps during the sermon? Perhaps in those little brochures they hand out before the service? Perhaps at Sunday School?

Any place that is deemed proper. After all, isn't one of the duties of the church to counsel on proper behavior?

Or maybe a committee of Church laymen would make this a project? I'm sure no one wants this to take place in their church.

Just some suggestions. I know if you get some church members to put their heads together you'll figure out a way to put a stop to this ignorant behavior.

Personally I would PAY to attend a service where the priest would say out loud, right in the middle of the service, "John and Mary Jones! Where do you think you are going! We're not done yet!" lol!! But I have a naughty sense of humor.

Joanie's mom
Pennsylvania, Ohio, The Villages
So happy to be here!
Old 07-17-2012, 10:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,557 Times in 1,930 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Last edited by graciegirl; 07-17-2012 at 11:35 AM. Reason: it sounded "Preachy" and holier than thou. It wasn't nice.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:36 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Gracie the messages that you erase are the ones I really, really want to read.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffysmom View Post
Gracie the messages that you erase are the ones I really, really want to read.
I was thinking exactly the same thing!
Old 07-17-2012, 07:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,943 Times in 796 Posts

Here in the midwest, our church won't post a sign at the front door telling everyone to turn their cell phones off. They think it is too harsh, while i think it's a nice reminder, as so many people don't want to interrupt the service but just forget to turn the phones off. We are frequently bombarded with cell phones rining and people racing to the back of the church and out the door, embarrassed as all get-out.

Shoot, our vet does it, our insurance broker does it... What's so harsh about it? If someone will quit coming to church brcause they can't let their cell phone rinfg, well... Maybe thry need to be in another church. Just my opinion.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,943 Times in 796 Posts
Angry

Oh, and i can't splellll
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.