Talk of The Villages Florida - Rentals, Entertainment & More
Talk of The Villages Florida - Rentals, Entertainment & More
|
#1
|
||
|
||
|
I'm currently 50. Planning to retire in 7 years. Been reading and learning and researching a lot and despite my plans, there is one thing that still nags at me. I have Ameriprise managing my funds but the fees gnaw at me mentally, and financially.
I'm seriously considering shifting all my funds to my Fidelity accounts and managing them mostly by myself. That I think I feel comfortable with. It's the tax management that I'm not so comfortable with or at least don't fully understand how to optimize. I currently have custodial accounts for my boys with Fidelity with FSKAX and FTIHX as the investments. I am thinking of following the Bogglehead method, however I am close to retiring, not 30 years away. I have been maxing out my 401K and maximizing my employer match for years. Maxing out my ROTH and my wife's ROTH for years. Plus putting any extra in a Private Brokerage account (this year) with Fidelity with FSKAX and FTIHX as the investments. I max out my 401k every year. My employer match is around $6,000-$6500 this year. I max out her ROTH and my ROTH each year. Then I put as much as I can away in a Personal Brokerage Account and whatnot. Hence why I say "I am" planning to retire in 7 years at 57. She'll still be working. We are each "expected" to contribute 1/2 the monthly expenses to the household (that's always been our arrangement). The rest of each person's money is there's to do with as they please. I've been carrying the health insurance burden for the entirety of our relationship. So I can either be on her plan or go on MNSure which isn't so bad. I plan to take SS at 62. I don't care about the reduction; I have a life to live. My estimated SS check at 62 will be around $2900+ based on corrected calculations including me making minimum of 100K for the next 7 years. We will be selling the FL house and moving back to MN where taxes will be much cheaper, and cost of living will be cheaper, and quality of life will be drastically better. The proceeds from the sale of the house here will pay cash for the MN house. So, that brings us back to the original question of transferring all our assets out of Ameriprise to Fidelity. Or leave them as is and simply put all future savings into Fidelity. Or trial the Fidelity thing for a year and see how it goes before moving Ameriprise funds. Is managing all that by yourself feasible? Last edited by BuyckCabin; Today at 10:10 AM. |
|
|
|
#2
|
||
|
||
|
You forgot to mention what you had for breakfast...........
__________________
The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it. George Orwell. “Only truth and transparency can guarantee freedom”, John McCain |
|
#4
|
||
|
||
|
No problem, just the first time on TOTV that a poster reveled their total net worth, (In detail)
__________________
The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it. George Orwell. “Only truth and transparency can guarantee freedom”, John McCain |
|
#5
|
||
|
||
|
Quote:
1. I’m anonymous. 2. Nobody cares about my money. 3. The only way someone can truly help is to have details. |
|
#7
|
||
|
||
|
You are smart to consider lowering your investment management fees as much as possible. The fees over time become significant in a bad way. Vanguard pioneered the low cost index fund approach which we also follow. And congratulations on being such a consistent investor. Good luck.
|
|
#9
|
||
|
||
|
Quote:
|
|
#10
|
||
|
||
|
Quote:
I know my finances well. And I know I don’t need to live like most people do here. I’ll never understand needing 7,000 or 10,000 a month. $4000/month is enough to support both my wife and I fully. We are going back to the basics. Simple life. 1.0 to 1.25 million plus to bridge until SS will be way more than enough. I don’t care about preserving wealth and passing on an inheritance. I didn’t kill myself working to make my kid’s retirements easier. I also know I have one life to live and I hate working. I know I’m going back to growing my veggies and splitting my wood and shooting my own meat sources in the woods. I know I’ll be more satisfied and healthier. I know that doesn’t require fancy cars and fancy cruises and eating out at restaurants and big houses with high insurance rates and high tax rates. A modest 7% yearly average growth on the money I currently have plus the 50-60K per year I’m saving every year for the next 7 years will easily reach that number. If the market tanks and my plans have to shift, I’ll deal with that scenario then. But the plan is, punch out in 2467 days for the last time. Last edited by BuyckCabin; Yesterday at 09:21 PM. |
|
#11
|
||
|
||
|
Quote:
|
|
#12
|
||
|
||
|
Go to fidelity. I closed my vanguard accounts. Fidelity has low fee funds now. Branch in lake sumpter landing. Only downside is money market rate is terrible. Buy SGOV instead. It mimics a money market fund.
They have a cash management account equivalent to interest checking. Free atm withdrawal at any machine. Forced by employer to use Ameriprise. An insult to your wallet. Fees are a disgrace. |
|
#13
|
||
|
||
|
Try putting all that info into AI, you'll be amazed with the results.
Yes go to Fidelity
__________________
Nova Water filters |
|
#14
|
||
|
||
|
I am a long-time Vanguarder and member of the boglehead.org forum. I would suggest posting your complete message on that forum, where I believe that you will get some very professional, well-reasoned advice at no cost.
|
|
#15
|
||
|
||
|
Quote:
|
| Reply |
|
|
|