Fidelity or Vanguard

Closed Thread
Old 06-09-2012, 03:19 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexort View Post
Fidelity overall has MUCH better performance. See for yourself. I'm a financial analyst. Not to sound like I know everything, but I do this for a living. Vanguard does a great job of marketing themselves as the dirt cheap alternative. Both Fidelity and Vanguard are cheap.

Cheap is not everything. It's worth paying a few nickels for better performance over the long run. Fidelity has much better research, performance, and a great website. Not to mention, Fidelity customer service is outstanding. From personal experiences, I know that their back office is fully licensed, so they can talk shop with you.

I've used both. Fidelity is better.

Side note: You can buy Vanguard funds through Fidelity.
alexort: Your post confuses me or I confuse myself. You state that "both Fidelity and Vanguard are cheap" but then go on to say "its worth a few nickels for better performance". What do the few nickels add up to be? You also indicate that Fidelity has better performance over Vanguard. So I am interested in learning how you came to that conclusion since there are so many different measurements advanced for a fund's performance?
Old 06-09-2012, 04:12 PM
Sage

You guys are getting way too complicated for me. I was in mutual funds since the early 80's, usually T.Row Price, Fidelity and Vanguard. I didn't like the idea that I couldn't get the buy price I wanted. Instead I had to get the price at the end of the trading day, and selling likewise. I also didn't like the idea that I had to keep a fund for a certain time so not to violate their frequent trading policies.
I got out of mutual funds completely and into dividend stocks. I only buy mostly large cap stocks that have been paying an increasing dividend for many years. I now own 19 stocks that pay anywhere from 3.5 to 6.0 % and am reinvesting them. It's nice to watch the stock market go up and down and be getting paid while waiting. Since buying dividend stocks, I have sold 3 stocks because they went up to the point that I couldn't pass up the profit. I sold another one at a loss because it looked like a bad decision. Turned out it would have been better to keep it. All but 3 of my stocks are up since I've bought them and I am way ahead of where I would have been with mutual funds. I like to keep it simple and if I don't understand something I won't get into it. I created a watch list of stocks that look good to me, set a price where I want to get in and wait for a bad day in the market to buy. Works for me.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,582 Times in 1,325 Posts

Using Vangard and let my guy take care of it
Old 06-10-2012, 10:58 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
You guys are getting way too complicated for me. I was in mutual funds since the early 80's, usually T.Row Price, Fidelity and Vanguard. I didn't like the idea that I couldn't get the buy price I wanted. Instead I had to get the price at the end of the trading day, and selling likewise. I also didn't like the idea that I had to keep a fund for a certain time so not to violate their frequent trading policies.
I got out of mutual funds completely and into dividend stocks. I only buy mostly large cap stocks that have been paying an increasing dividend for many years. I now own 19 stocks that pay anywhere from 3.5 to 6.0 % and am reinvesting them. It's nice to watch the stock market go up and down and be getting paid while waiting. Since buying dividend stocks, I have sold 3 stocks because they went up to the point that I couldn't pass up the profit. I sold another one at a loss because it looked like a bad decision. Turned out it would have been better to keep it. All but 3 of my stocks are up since I've bought them and I am way ahead of where I would have been with mutual funds. I like to keep it simple and if I don't understand something I won't get into it. I created a watch list of stocks that look good to me, set a price where I want to get in and wait for a bad day in the market to buy. Works for me.
Shimpy. I alsohave some dividend paying stocks; albeit i trust my funds with Vanguard. However keep in mind if Obama has his way you wand I will be paying an a much higher taxes for capital gains and didviends and losingmore than 1/3 of our returns. Apparently he thinks we are in that 1%. Hmmmm
Old 06-10-2012, 02:13 PM

My 401K is for my income. For this reason I went with the Prudential Income For Life annuity. 5% guarantee and locks me in to my highest Daily Market Value. Fees are reasonable and I know I am not going to lose my income.
Old 06-10-2012, 03:05 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaffmom View Post
My 401K is for my income. For this reason I went with the Prudential Income For Life annuity. 5% guarantee and locks me in to my highest Daily Market Value. Fees are reasonable and I know I am not going to lose my income.
I am reading a book now ("The Buckets of Money Retirement Solution") that agrees with the use of annuities like this for at least a part of your retirement portfolio. Unfortunately, what the author fails to discuss is that in reality, as soon as you start taking the income, you begin losing money to inflation each year. Depending upon the inflation rate and the number of years, this can be a substantial reduction in purchasing power over time.

That's why the other discussion pertaing to using the annuity of Social Security (by deferring its start) makes sense. Not only is the return higher than traditional annuities, but also it has built in COLA adjustments.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:26 PM

Fidelity had a net outflow of more than 45 billion dollars since 2010 because of troubles pertaining to their funds. Vanguard had a 2 billion inflow.

Customers Dump Funds, Fidelity Asks Managers 'What's Going On? - US Business News - CNBC
Old 08-15-2012, 11:26 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmvalcq View Post
Most investors look at cost first, they should look at return first, taxes 2nd(however this being an IRA taxes are not a consideraton), and then cost. Sometimes it cost more to get a better return. Return should always reign supreme.
But I'm sure you agree that past performance is no guarantee of future income.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:15 AM
Veteran member

I would use VG.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:32 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,650 Times in 1,774 Posts

Back in the early seventies I was using Fidelity. It seemed they were splitting trades to garner more commissions. After I contacted them and dealt with a belligerent rep I moved my account elsewhere. Now I use Vanguard, Ameriprise and Schwab and am reasonably content with them all.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 04-25-2013, 12:27 AM

If you are an active investor and know what you are doing, then maybe individual funds are for you but I dont want to spend the time on research (doing other things in the Villages) so I am a passive investor. The Vanguard VOO.IV S&P-500 Index Fund for long term in my opinion is the best bang for the buck.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAshby50 View Post
About ready to roll over my 401K from JP Morgan. I am considering Fidelity, who my wife has for hers and Vanguard. Have my first meeting with Fidelity in TV office Thursday. Not sure what to expect. My research shows a slightly lower management fee structure for Vanguard. I also have a pretty good idea as to what I want to invest in.

Interested in any feedback from either. What should I expect or not expect from both. Have to start distributions in March or April.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Having been in financial planning for over 20 years, would only recommend Vanguard who has very low management fees with a diverse portfolio to chose from. While Fidelity is okay - Vanguard is better.
MV
Old 09-06-2013, 02:59 PM

There is another firm that deals exclusively in index funds for the long term, Portfolio Solutions....Low Fee Investment Manager, Low Cost Investment Advisor | Portfolio Solutions Their cost is about 1/2 that of Vanguard Asset Management..... 70 basis points vs. 34 basis points for accounts over 1 million (assuming you are looking for portfolio management). For accounts under 1 million, the fee is based on a different percentage of assets under management. They do not hold your funds... Schwab does. They also have a fiduciary responsibility.

Very similar to Vanguard, in fact 1/2 their portfolios are Vanguard products. They also use Dimensional Index Funds and Index ETFs.

Worth a look if you are seeking help with portfolio management. If not, it's hard to beat Vanguards cost if you are managing your own portfolio....especially if you purchase Admiral Shares.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAshby50 View Post
About ready to roll over my 401K from JP Morgan. I am considering Fidelity, who my wife has for hers and Vanguard. Have my first meeting with Fidelity in TV office Thursday. Not sure what to expect. My research shows a slightly lower management fee structure for Vanguard. I also have a pretty good idea as to what I want to invest in.

Interested in any feedback from either. What should I expect or not expect from both. Have to start distributions in March or April.

Thanks in advance for your input.
i use vanguard exclusively. their funds follow the the funds' philosophy stated in their statements. also there is a service examining every fund and etf vanguard offers. the author is a "policeman" who tracks most of the funds and etfs. he is Dan Weiner and you can find him on the web. i believe there is a service for fidelity, although i believe his name is lowell.
i am not familiar with him but it is a point of departure.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:16 PM

I believe Portfolio Solutions is run by Rick Ferri who has been mentioned earlier in this thread....an excellent advisor with very low fees
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.