Tip - Lock your Vanguard and Fidelity accounts from outside transfers Tip - Lock your Vanguard and Fidelity accounts from outside transfers - Page 2 - Talk of The Villages Florida

Tip - Lock your Vanguard and Fidelity accounts from outside transfers

Reply
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 08-31-2026, 11:17 PM
retiredguy123 retiredguy123 is offline
Diamond Member
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 20,098
Thanks: 3,626
Thanked 18,641 Times in 7,565 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob47 View Post
Will I have to unlock my account every month to transfer money to pay my Fidelity credit card?
From AI:

"No, Fidelity's Money Transfer Lockdown—the security setting that blocks outbound ACATS and electronic transfers—will not prevent you from paying your credit card bill via Fidelity Bill Pay or direct debit."

But, it wouldn't hurt to call Fidelity to find out the limitations of the money transfer security setting.
  #17  
Old 09-01-2026, 05:39 AM
Radamo Radamo is offline
Newbie
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: The Villages, South of 44
Posts: 44
Thanks: 45
Thanked 23 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Don't see any option for this at Schwab... Is there a need to do this here as well?
  #18  
Old 09-01-2026, 05:51 AM
retiredguy123 retiredguy123 is offline
Diamond Member
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 20,098
Thanks: 3,626
Thanked 18,641 Times in 7,565 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radamo View Post
Don't see any option for this at Schwab... Is there a need to do this here as well?
Yes, I think it is needed. I don't have a Schwab account, but apparently they do not an online security option. You may be able to do it manually by calling Schwab.
  #19  
Old 09-01-2026, 06:26 AM
Younggirl Younggirl is offline
Newbie
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Can you tell me how to make this change at Vanguard please?
  #20  
Old 09-01-2026, 06:36 AM
retiredguy123 retiredguy123 is offline
Diamond Member
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 20,098
Thanks: 3,626
Thanked 18,641 Times in 7,565 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Younggirl View Post
Can you tell me how to make this change at Vanguard please?
Log in to your Vanguard account
Select profile
Select security profile
Select "add" at outgoing transfer lock
Select your accounts and click on "lock"
  #21  
Old 09-01-2026, 07:20 AM
tyfamily tyfamily is offline
Newbie
Join Date: Dec 2024
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

From Fidelity:

What is protected during lock?
-Outbound money transfers (previously scheduled electronic fund transfers from your account may still be processed)
-Transfers between Fidelity accounts
-Transfer of shares and assets to another institution
-Individual withdrawals


What's not protected during lock?
-Deposits or transfers into your Fidelity accounts
-Checkwriting and direct debit
-Debit card/ATM transactions
-Trading
-Scheduled required minimum distribution (RMD) or personal withdrawal scheduled plan
-BillPay
  #22  
Old 09-01-2026, 07:21 AM
HJBeck's Avatar
HJBeck HJBeck is offline
Silver Member
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: The Villages
Posts: 285
Thanks: 23
Thanked 106 Times in 74 Posts
Default

No. We have this option selected at Vanguard but still can transfer to our checking account anytime we want or have automatic transfers to checking.
  #23  
Old 09-01-2026, 07:37 AM
retiredguy123 retiredguy123 is offline
Diamond Member
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 20,098
Thanks: 3,626
Thanked 18,641 Times in 7,565 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyfamily View Post
From Fidelity:

What is protected during lock?
-Outbound money transfers (previously scheduled electronic fund transfers from your account may still be processed)
-Transfers between Fidelity accounts
-Transfer of shares and assets to another institution
-Individual withdrawals


What's not protected during lock?
-Deposits or transfers into your Fidelity accounts
-Checkwriting and direct debit
-Debit card/ATM transactions
-Trading
-Scheduled required minimum distribution (RMD) or personal withdrawal scheduled plan
-BillPay
To clarify, the item "transfers between Fidelity accounts" is a bit confusing. As I understand it, I only have one Fidelity "account" with several mutual funds in it. I think that I can transfer money from one mutual fund to another mutual fund because they are both in the same Fidelity account.

Also, whenever I move money out of Vanguard or Fidelity, I always use an ACH transfer into my linked checking account before directing it to another location. These types of transfers are not affected by the outgoing transfer lock.
  #24  
Old 09-01-2026, 08:47 AM
DAVES DAVES is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 3,763
Thanks: 206
Thanked 1,952 Times in 1,012 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Automated Customer Account Transfer Service (ACATS) is being used to make unwanted transfers of funds from Vanguard and Fidelity accounts to outside brokerage accounts. This is sometimes used to defraud the account holder and to steal their money. They don't need your permission to move the money. If you have an account with either Vanguard Investments or Fidelity Investments, it is now very easy to prevent these unauthorized transfers by making a simple online change to your security settings. It is also very easy to undue the security setting whenever you want. If you have an account with Vanguard or Fidelity, I recommend that you take a minute to make this simple change.
We keep reading about AI. It is not like we have a choice. I used to think there are padded rooms full of techno nerds THEY HAVE EVERTHING WORKING-change it. REASON-they have it working. If there was that room full of techno nerds. AI does if faster cheaper and is better able to see when we have it working. FIDELITY you can still find a HUMAN. VANGUARD only at their normal business hours.
  #25  
Old 09-01-2026, 09:10 AM
DAVES DAVES is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 3,763
Thanks: 206
Thanked 1,952 Times in 1,012 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyfamily View Post
From Fidelity:

What is protected during lock?
-Outbound money transfers (previously scheduled electronic fund transfers from your account may still be processed)
-Transfers between Fidelity accounts
-Transfer of shares and assets to another institution
-Individual withdrawals


What's not protected during lock?
-Deposits or transfers into your Fidelity accounts
-Checkwriting and direct debit
-Debit card/ATM transactions
-Trading
-Scheduled required minimum distribution (RMD) or personal withdrawal scheduled plan
-BillPay
I'm not a financial advisor. We also deal with RMD-forced to withdraw from IRAs and let the TAXMAN who has been drooling over MY MONEY all these years. People of course have different finances. People use terms like dollar cost averaging. I'm forced to turn stocks into cash for the RMD. Like everything else when to do it. Our stock market. I've read that older people-that is us. Are invested with far more risk than in the past. I laugh with a friend we older folks are riding a mechanical bull or is it a bear? I know what I need for OUR RMD and I am raising CASH in our IRAS. I hold it is prime money market. Quote is based on 7 days.
I do not like auto pilot plans.
RE: OP subject. I'm no techno nerd. Imagine brokerages. Serious MONEY and yet we demand expect easy access. Some people use their cell phone. We are hardwired but it likely goes out over cell towers or people can cut into the wire. And they need to be secure.
Losses i will bet they do not make it public.
  #26  
Old 09-01-2026, 09:34 AM
JIMQ3100 JIMQ3100 is offline
Newbie
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 23
Thanks: 20
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Also make sure your email account is extremely well protected. If someone controls your email, they may be able to intercept brokerage security notifications and password-reset messages.

And turn on alerts for changes to your phone number, email address, mailing address and linked bank accounts. Those seemingly minor changes can be early signs that someone is preparing to take over an account.

If you ever receive an unexpected notice saying that your brokerage account is being transferred, call the brokerage immediately using the telephone number from your statement or official app—not a number contained in the suspicious email or text.
  #27  
Old 09-01-2026, 12:52 PM
tophcfa's Avatar
tophcfa tophcfa is online now
Platinum member
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Wherever I happen to be.
Posts: 8,950
Thanks: 4,360
Thanked 12,701 Times in 4,171 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
To clarify, the item "transfers between Fidelity accounts" is a bit confusing. As I understand it, I only have one Fidelity "account" with several mutual funds in it. I think that I can transfer money from one mutual fund to another mutual fund because they are both in the same Fidelity account.

Also, whenever I move money out of Vanguard or Fidelity, I always use an ACH transfer into my linked checking account before directing it to another location. These types of transfers are not affected by the outgoing transfer lock.
I just put the transfer lock on both our Fidelity and Vanguard accounts. I could be wrong, but my understanding is that with the lock turned on I can still transfer money out to our saved bank account with Vanguard, but not with Fidelity. If I want to transfer funds to our saved checking account with Fidelity, I will have to turn the transfer lock off first, then turn it back on after the transfer.
  #28  
Old 09-01-2026, 12:58 PM
jrref jrref is offline
Gold Member
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Osceola Hills, The Villages
Posts: 2,277
Thanks: 633
Thanked 1,223 Times in 704 Posts
Default

I did this after someone accessed my wifes Fidelity retirement account and tried to wire a distribution to themselves. Fortunately, Fidelity caught it before the transaction was executed. From what I understand, any transfer that is not consistent with what you normally do is sent to a human at Fidelity so they can make sure it's not fradulent. But locking your accounts is just another step to safeguard your account.

Last edited by jrref; 09-01-2026 at 01:07 PM.
  #29  
Old 09-01-2026, 01:38 PM
CoachKandSportsguy CoachKandSportsguy is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Marsh Bend
Posts: 4,560
Thanks: 668
Thanked 3,262 Times in 1,612 Posts
Default

no, the locking is not about your transfers. .

and had a fidelity credit card. . the fraud protection was slow and awful,
  #30  
Old 09-01-2026, 01:41 PM
retiredguy123 retiredguy123 is offline
Diamond Member
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 20,098
Thanks: 3,626
Thanked 18,641 Times in 7,565 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
I just put the transfer lock on both our Fidelity and Vanguard accounts. I could be wrong, but my understanding is that with the lock turned on I can still transfer money out to our saved bank account with Vanguard, but not with Fidelity. If I want to transfer funds to our saved checking account with Fidelity, I will have to turn the transfer lock off first, then turn it back on after the transfer.
I called Fidelity about this point, and the representative did confirm that you are correct. You cannot transfer cash to a linked checking account without first unlocking the transfer lock, which only takes a few seconds to do. However, you can make Fidelity credit card payments, complete scheduled automatic debits, and use the Fidelity billpay features without unlocking the transfer lock. Go figure.
Reply

Tags
account, vanguard, fidelity, transfers, accounts


You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:41 PM.