What If Family Members Want Too Much from Retirees?

What If Family Members Want Too Much from Retirees?

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 09:29 AM
Gold member

As an adult, I never asked my parents for money. I was taught to save for college at a very, very young age. So saving has been instilled in me. In fact, I bought my aging mother a freezer, etc. In my eyes it is the children's job to take care of the aging parents. Now my husband has the opposite situation. Adult son who at one time was asking for money every other week. My husband finally realized he would have no money left if he kept giving to him (plus it didn't teach the adult son to be responsible). We have a neighbor who has an adult kid who always wants money, too. Yet blows money on things he doesn't need. Kids today buy whatever they want and worry about paying for it later. I was taught to do without. Only buy it if you have the extra money for it.

Old 09-18-2015, 09:46 AM
Gold member

Both our kids are six figure earners and haven't asked us for money in twenty years. If they ever did, I would tell them to sell some of the expensive stuff they spoil their own kids with.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2015, 08:06 AM
Veteran member

My aging parents never had any money to give. In fact we used to supply them with some needed income. Also My children make more in wages than I ever did. So if there is a need it is due to mismanagement and poor planing. There is no way at our age we can afford to make up for their mistakes.
Closed Thread

Tags
retirees, members, family, aging, money, parents, story, home, rest, read, financial, pressures, face, close, hit