25 Most Commonly Misspelled Words

Closed Thread
Old 11-01-2008, 03:52 AM
Eternal Member
Default 25 Most Commonly Misspelled Words

Tricky:

http://www.businesswriting.com/tests...isspelled.html

Rescuing one cat may not change the world, BUT for that one cat, the whole world will change.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:50 AM
Gold member

Tested myself, Islandgal, and after believing I had aced it, found out I had made 2 mistakes. Darn pride goeth before the fall...
Old 11-01-2008, 07:56 AM
Eternal Member

Peachie - Join the club. I missed 3, also thinking I had aced it!!!

Rescuing one cat may not change the world, BUT for that one cat, the whole world will change.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:59 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,226 Times in 756 Posts

islandgal!!!!!!!

Ohmygoshohmygoshohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh!!!!!!

In elementary school, I was often the last one standing in the spelling bees. I was good at spelling. (But then there was the part where I was the last one standing on that stupid line in the gym when nobody would pick me for their team in gym class because I was so uncoordinated and would duck whenever a ball came my direction. Sorry. I digress. But I'm still not over it.)

Anyway, I will not tell anybody the score that I just got. I was stunned. I guess I am officially a slack-jawed, glassy-eyed spellchecker addict.

Well, islandgal, this is just great. First my hair tries to turn gray. Then parts of me decide to get a little chubby. And then! And then! I find out that I cannot even spell anymore. And, I'm still not coordinated. Just great, islandgal. Just great. That test was fiendish. All those double letters everywhere. I sure am glad my score is not flashing in bright lights somewhere on TOTV......Is it?

Boomer
Old 11-02-2008, 07:17 AM
Platinum member

I won several spelling bees when I was in school and was sure I knew them all. Missed 2. Fun posting - thanks.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:42 AM
Dancing Thyme
Unhappy

OMG, very upset about this..... Remind me to use my spelcheker

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 11-02-2008, 08:16 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
islandgal!!!!!!!

Ohmygoshohmygoshohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh!!!!!!
In elementary school, I was often the last one standing in the spelling bees. I was good at spelling. (But then there was the part where I was the last one standing on that stupid line in the gym when nobody would pick me for their team in gym class because I was so uncoordinated and would duck whenever a ball came my direction. Sorry. I digress. But I'm still not over it.)
Anyway, I will not tell anybody the score that I just got. I was stunned. I guess I am officially a slack-jawed, glassy-eyed spellchecker addict.
Well, islandgal, this is just great. First my hair tries to turn gray. Then parts of me decide to get a little chubby. And then! And then! I find out that I cannot even spell anymore. And, I'm still not coordinated. Just great, islandgal. Just great. That test was fiendish. All those double letters everywhere. I sure am glad my score is not flashing in bright lights somewhere on TOTV......Is it?
Boomer

My gosh, Boomer's post is me to a "T".
I was also the winner of spelling bees and never picked for sports. I am also now getting gray, chubby ... and now I find out ... Eye cantt evan speal anie moore.

I'm glad the clocks are being turned back today. Think I'll go back to bed and get some more sleep.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:25 AM
Sage

Yeah, but, Barefoot...you have a good excuse...as a Canadian (or is that Canadien???) you spell things funny anyway....colour vs color.

I am generally a good speeler but this list included many of the words that give me trouble. Nice exercise IslandGal
Old 11-02-2008, 08:41 AM
Sage
Unhappy Throw in the Towel.

I can't even attempt this. I'm the worst speller in the world.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:17 AM
Platinum member

I failed! Always had an A+ in spelling...........Now I wonder how!
Old 11-02-2008, 09:32 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,226 Times in 756 Posts

Here is is morning and I am still oh sooooooo stressed over my score. I am telling you, it was truly hideous. I wonder if I would have done better if the words had been spoken for me to write out. Yeah, yeah, that's it. I will pretend that's the case and try to preserve one last shred of dignity.

And about that case of the chubs that's got me. Well, it sure is harder to deal with than my gray hair. For that all I have to do is go to the hairdresser and give her my life savings and she makes it look like it is not dyed.

But the chubs - ohhhhh nooooooo!!!

I have in years past always dealt with Halloween by buying candy that I hated. Starbursts and Skittles come to mind. And kids love Starbursts and Skittles for some odd reason. So anyway, that was always my plan.

Well, the best laid plans and all that....I went to the store on Halloween morning, and I was too late. My plan seems to have caught on. All the candy that I do not like was gone from the shelves.

All that were left were bags of Reese's Cups and Reese's Pieces and Hershey Bars and Kit Kats and all manner of wonderful stuff.

What was a girl to do? Be a Halloween Grinch? So I hauled the glorious stuff home. Hundreds of pieces.

You see, I am one of those women who is always gripped with the fear that I will run out of food for my guests or candy for my trick or treaters. It is a curse. I know. But I worry about these things. My mom always did, too.

Well, wouldn't you know it. This year we did not get very many trick or treaters. We are in a neighborhood with a little distance between the houses. Not a huge amount of distance, but not a subdivision. So I think savvy trick or treaters now must really think about their return on investment of time and steps so they go to the subdivisions.

So I was left with a whole bunch of chocolate. Sitting in my entrance hall. Just sitting there in a shopping bag. Right there on the old church pew I have by the door.

Well, I told Mr. Boomer that I was going to throw the candy away. I know. I know. How wasteful.

But when I looked for it the next morning, to throw it away, yeah, that's it. I really was going to throw it away. Uh huh. Anyway, the chocolate was nowhere to be found.

I thought, "Oh, Mr. Boomer, my knight in shining armor, trying to save me from myself. How wonderful. He always takes such good care of me."

Welllll, as it turned out Mr. Boomer did not throw the candy away. Nope. HE IS HAULING IT AROUND IN THE TRUNK OF HIS CAR!!!!!!

I know. I just hijacked the heck out of this thread to parade my angst over this candy issue.

But today, I am going to throw that candy away. Yep. I am. That's my story and I am sticking to it.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 11-02-2008 at 09:34 AM.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:31 AM
Sage

Boomer, that is exactly what I've always done on Halloween. Bought candy I didn't like!

I can't throw candy away, so I would hide the left overs in the garage. Hide them from myself.

And then sometimes, I would find myself, in pj's, in the garage, at 3 am, eating candy I hate.

Somehow that is so much worse than eating candy you actually like.

Old 11-02-2008, 10:44 AM
Gold member

Boomer, you have painted the perfect picture of me at Halloween! I too was always concerned about not having enough candy and would overbuy. After a Halloween three years ago when we had ONE trick or treater, I threw in the pumpkin and gave up. We now go out for dinner during the two hour trick or treat span and I'm lbs lighter, (more to be lost for sure), and no more headaches from candy OD. Desperate times call for desperate measure...
Old 11-02-2008, 10:51 AM
Gold member

I am totally surprised, I was sailing along through the test feeling very smug....I failed miserably.....Excuse...when you look at the selection of spellings to choose from I had to really concentrate.....oh no I am losing that to,now I can't concentrate enough to take a test.....

Oh Island Girl.......why are you torturing us.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:53 AM
Sage

I hid the candy in the laundry room - the wife never goes there (laundry is my job).

And to make everyones day - I got 14 out of 25! And I write around 20 business emails and maybe two or three business letters every work day.
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.