What are your fun memories from childhood?

Old 03-16-2024, 08:42 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

Growing up on the rural Chesapeake Bay. Hand dipping crabs, fishing, water skiing and playing on miles of private beaches. Baseball, bikes and friends. Life was/is great.
Old 03-16-2024, 09:04 AM
Default Better now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretmattson View Post
That is my point. It was so commonplace back then that everyone thought it was funny. Test it yourself and watch some of the older shows with your grandkids. You will find it difficult to explain why it was acceptable.
So things are better now that we can’t even define what a woman is? I’d go back to the innocence of the 50s in a heartbeat.
Old 03-16-2024, 09:08 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,044 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABGinVA View Post
You made my day! My husband’s too. We had a good laugh remembering how invisible men worked in our backyard baseball games. And we both grew up in New England so your hypothesis about the origin of the phrase may be right. How did it come up on the golf course though??
We were talking about the things we did as kids and how often we played sports in neighborhood games. Baseball games, with only 4 players on a each team & one of those players, was someone's 7 year old little brother and we made him the full-time catcher.

I almost doubled over in laughter when I heard those words. I hadn't heard them, in 40 years. I thought it would be a spectacular name for a book and even put some effort into seeing what I could do to trademark the name. It was just one of those phrases, that evokes such wonderful memories ... & could only have been made up by a 10 year old boy.
Old 03-16-2024, 09:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,084 Times in 2,746 Posts

Waking up every morning without any aches and pains.
Old 03-16-2024, 11:05 AM

Sitting on the front porch with my grandmother and one by one neighbors would stop by and soon a bunch of us would be sitting and chatting, going for a walk every Thanksgiving with my grandmother and neighbors after a big meal, playing kick socker, hide & seek, waking up on weekends to the smell of bacon and coffee, Sunday meals with family and any friend(s) that came by, block party's (which included clam bakes).
Old 03-16-2024, 11:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMB444 View Post
Remember this?

- bread bags on feet before putting on your snow boots

-stealing beans, peas, carrots from gardens and drinking from the hose. Apples off of trees.
If we went home we'd get chores assigned

- going to your friend's church because you hung out at their house for days, and friends mom adding you to the house chore list

- "that rich kid" on the block had cable, Pong, Sesame Street, Quisp/Capn Crunch & Twinkies

- fear of the basement. Do the rapid dog paddle up the stairs and do NOT look back!

-getting "beaned" during dodge ball with that gigantic rubber ball

-calling radio station to recite "two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions all on a sesame seed bun" to get free Big Mac

What's your list?
Picking out selected branches and then carving out a bow and then making life miserable for rabbits and large birds. Shooting an arrow straight up in the air and not flinching when it came down VERY CLOSE. Shooting at squirrels in a park and getting caught EVEN after running away. Listening to the song, "Rock Around the Clock" and realizing that both music and life was CHANGING fast compared to pre-ROCK. Running nearly naked through the neighbors back yards late at night. AS a gang-like group grabbing a guys bumper as he tried to get his car up a snow covered slippery HILL - and then absorbing colorful language as we ran away. There was a LOT of running away - like after stealing tomatoes. Playing baseball with a tennis ball - I guess we did that because we would NOT need gloves? Sitting on a park bench behind the swimming pool and hoping to talk to some young ladies. Water skiing behind my father's boat. Getting cut from the High School Baseball team. Having water balloon fights. Acting stupid and immature all through grade school. Sneaking under a fence into a High School football game and having to fight some clown at the top of the hill. Not quit understanding what the music teacher was trying to get across about the "me's and the do's thing. Still don't know!
......Those were the days my friend - we would fight and never lose!!!!!!!
Old 03-16-2024, 11:32 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRoySmith View Post
Stealing a beer from the case at the bottom of the American Legion stair case. They left it down there in the winter so it would be ice cold. Me and 3 or 4 buddies would take hours planning the crime and finally consuming our prize on the rare occasion we were successful. Looking back I'm convenienced those old men knew what we were up to because they would ambush us about 75% of the time but they never turned us in. The first time or 2 we had to poke a hole in the can with a screwdriver or pocketknife because no one had a can opener.
Good story. Stolen things always tasted better.
Old 03-16-2024, 12:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Hmmm....we must have grown up differently. I remember not being allowed to watch the news because of so much violence. Vietnam, race wars, Manson, Bundy, shootings of political figures, kkk and more. On Tv, women did not wear bras and playboy was very popular. They even had private clubs around the country. Places like Studio 54 where drugs were passed around like candy. Maybe not the same foul language as the present, but lots of racism and bigotry. So common place, that a show like All in the Family, was allowed to air and received great ratings. I remember comedians making fun of every nationality known to man. Women were second class citizens and had to stay home.

When my grandchildren watch old tv shows or movies, they ask a lot of questions as they look at me mystified. I have to explain that it was a different time. Women and black people had to fight for equality. Racism and chauvinism was not only allowed; it was a form of comedic entertainment. How does one explain character names like Pussy Galore or Petticoat Junction in a town called Hooterville? Thankfully, we've come a long way since then. Every generation has its scars.
Fun times, right?

-Tom Petty
Old 03-16-2024, 12:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
How about the Dean Martin roast specials? Don Rickles? It seemed genuine and people weren’t offended.
Foster Brooks was my favorite...

The Villages Florida

-Tom Petty
Old 03-16-2024, 12:38 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
Picking out selected branches and then carving out a bow and then making life miserable for rabbits and large birds. Shooting an arrow straight up in the air and not flinching when it came down VERY CLOSE. Shooting at squirrels in a park and getting caught EVEN after running away. Listening to the song, "Rock Around the Clock" and realizing that both music and life was CHANGING fast compared to pre-ROCK. Running nearly naked through the neighbors back yards late at night. AS a gang-like group grabbing a guys bumper as he tried to get his car up a snow covered slippery HILL - and then absorbing colorful language as we ran away. There was a LOT of running away - like after stealing tomatoes. Playing baseball with a tennis ball - I guess we did that because we would NOT need gloves? Sitting on a park bench behind the swimming pool and hoping to talk to some young ladies. Water skiing behind my father's boat. Getting cut from the High School Baseball team. Having water balloon fights. Acting stupid and immature all through grade school. Sneaking under a fence into a High School football game and having to fight some clown at the top of the hill. Not quit understanding what the music teacher was trying to get across about the "me's and the do's thing. Still don't know!
......Those were the days my friend - we would fight and never lose!!!!!!!
Three Hail Marys and Three Our Fathers my son!
Old 03-16-2024, 12:41 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Fun times, right?
I love it when people take things out of context. I had a wonderful childhood and responded that way.

I then read a post that said: no cell phones, no violence, no nudity, no foul language, no screwing on television.

I thought this was odd. It is not the late sixties and seventies that I remember. Hippies alone broke all the "no-nos" mentioned by the poster. I remember it as a time when people were pushing the limits not sitting pristine.

Last edited by margaretmattson; 03-16-2024 at 01:00 PM.
Old 03-16-2024, 12:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Flying with Dad in his 1938 Aeronca Chief.
Old 03-16-2024, 12:51 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
I love it when people take things out of context. I had a wonderful childhood and responded that way.

I then read a post that said, no cell phones, no violence, no nudity, no foul language, no screwing on television.

I thought this was odd. It is not the late sixties and seventies that I remember. Hippies alone broke all the "no-nos" mentioned by the poster. I remember it as a time when people were pushing the limits, not sitting pristine.
There’s been nudity in some form for generations. And ‘screwing’. I only wish there were cell phones to capture it all for historical perspective of course. Insert Creedence Clearwater Revival track here
Old 03-16-2024, 12:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,672 Times in 1,507 Posts

Quote:
Three Hail Marys and Three Our Fathers my son!
You got off easy. Jesus was in the class ahead of mine. He used to beat me up and take my lunch money. My friend and savior? To this day I am afraid to walk past a church. Afraid that Jesus will grab me, beat me up and steal my wallet. 🥺🥹😱
Old 03-16-2024, 01:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Sounds like you may have watched Silence of the Lambs and Sir Anthony Hopkins a few times!

Just having fun with ya!
I used to use the magnifying glass and sun with ants. Don’t judge me...it’s better than being a plaintiff in a pesticide class action suit !
That reminded me of a good one. We would catch red ants in one jar and an equal (approximately) number of black ants in another jar.Then we would put them together and a small WAR would start. The black ants were bigger, but the red ants always won.

Tags
sesame, house, friends, ball, list

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.