$115 to come give an estimate?!!!

Closed Thread
Old 04-07-2022, 08:46 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,210 Times in 333 Posts

OK everyone entitled to their opinions. But it’s tiresome to see our “experts” here give their 2 cents and in some ways chastise an OP as some did in this post.
Old 04-07-2022, 08:52 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMo50 View Post
The rain sensor on our irrigation system quit working...less than 2 years old. I called Hunter, and was told the sensor is under warranty for 5 years. BUT, I needed to call an authorized contractor for replacement. Called TCL, as they installed the system when the house was built. Yes...they will replace the faulty sensor under warranty, but they would charge $115 for the service call. The part is covered under warranty, but the labor is not. While I can buy a new sensor and replace it myself for less than that, I may elect to let TCL come do it, and give the whole system a once over while here.
For about $200 you can replace your controller with a Hunter WiFi unit that won't irrigate on days that it's expected to rain. You'll never have to bother with a rain sensor again. The best part is that with a phillips screwdriver, you can change it yourself in about 5 minutes. The Wifi setup may take a little longer, but it's not a big deal.
Old 04-07-2022, 08:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,970 Times in 1,123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
Agreed, we've added another, we NEVER take the word (or words on a car or truck) that the contractor is registered with the state AND has insurance. Can't tell you how many, at least SIX times, when all else was satisfactory to have some work done, last step was to check with state and....SURPRISE... the NUMBERS on the business card were ACTUAL numbers connected to the name and business...but... were NOT CURRENT ! In other words, state employee said a business will often register and have the proper insurance ONCE, to get a valid number, but that does not mean they have kept it up to date and filed the current insurance annually. It's as if YOU registered your auto and got both insurance and plates.... then NEVER did anything again, just kept the insurance card in your auto or wallet, and never bought an annual renewal of license plates/tags ! Dah ! NEVER NEVER skip actually checking because some who "looked legit", gave you a card with insurance # and information about being registered, N.E.V.E.R. The guy who gives you the cheapest estimate to cut down that big tree, may turn out to be a huge expense if you have to take care of him or his employee for the rest of their life when they fall OUT of that tree. It only takes 10-15 to make this VITAL check with the state of Florida, but, probably 75% will not !
off topic , Florida and Mississippi lead the nation in uninsured drivers
Old 04-07-2022, 09:01 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,217 Times in 768 Posts

If they don't want your business, just move on....there's plenty others out there that do !
Old 04-07-2022, 09:08 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,156 Times in 890 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski Bum View Post
I have been in landscaping for 40+ years. Where do we find a middle "ground" between the customer's money and the contractor's time? As one post says, the contractor should take the phone off the hook if they don't want to talk to customers. That's exactly what I have done. I only work on a referral basis. You better have good references if you want me to come out and look at your yard. As a customer, put yourself in the contractor's place. Your phone rings 10+ times a day from people asking for quotes. Be honest, how many are actually serious about having work done, and how many are just curious? Of those who are serious, how many actually have a budget sufficient to get the work done? Of those, how many will slit your throat for a dollar? And yeah, I could go on every one of those sales calls. It's my job and I like what I do. But if I get only one in ten jobs, my prices have to be higher to pay for my time on the other nine. I do think the middle ground is what has been suggested, the cost of the estimate is credited to the job. For a $5000 job, spend $100 each for three estimates. It's worth it. For a $500 job, be honest with the professionals and don't call them. You'll need to find the neighborhood guy in the beat up pickup truck to do that one.
Point taken.
Old 04-07-2022, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
Just had a nauseating phone call with Tri County Landscaping where they said they don't give free estimates. They charge $115 for it!!!! Crazy crap. Am I the only one who was told this, or have others received stupid quotes to get an estimate. Can't stop shaking my head over this.
if you go with them, they will probably subtract the price of the estimate.
Old 04-07-2022, 09:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,341 Times in 4,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshoberg View Post
TCL is bad news….they really think they are somebody because they do a ton of work for TV’s
Well, somebody must like their work...

-Tom Petty
Old 04-07-2022, 09:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,771 Times in 1,545 Posts

Quote:
Wow you must be one of the people who has too much money to burn if you think 1/2 hour of talking is worth $115. No wonder so many workers like to gouge Villagers when I hear your response.
Wow! How did you get that impression? I worked for a living. All I said was a "Reasonable" charge to cover time and expenses for coming to your home to answer your questions in the hopes that maybe, MAYBE, I might get a little work. Just for reference, I would think @ $50 would be reasonable, and if they get the job, roll the $50 into a credit towards the job.
Now, I do sincerely hope you find someone to do the job you want done. Good luck.
Old 04-07-2022, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Good point! And just to add to my original thread, all I was looking for was a quote to do a french drain, nothing to write a book about! One measurement, one look at one sprinkler system pipe to move or work around. Easy peasy.
Check with KB Landscaping. They did a French drain for us some years ago. I don’t remember the cost but they did a good job and the drain works well. We split the cost with our neighbor as it was between the two houses. Good Luck!
Old 04-07-2022, 10:13 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Huh sorry, what’s the question?
Old 04-07-2022, 10:32 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

Call the insurance company to validate contractor insurance is current
Old 04-07-2022, 11:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,646 Times in 3,163 Posts

Maybe it depends on what you're looking to get an estimate for, exactly.

I mean - if I just want a landscaper to trim the hedges, do some hurricane prep on the palm trees, and help me plant a new hibiscus bush in the front garden, I would expect a free estimate on that.

If I wanted a landscaper to price out a complete yard job, new garden(s), all-new plantings, maybe a rock garden and a new walkway with custom pavers from the lanai door to the driveway, and I want the landscaper to come up with the design himself and show it to me, I absolutely expect to pay for that estimate. AND I expect that if I select him to do the job, he'd apply the cost of the estimate to the cost of the job.
Old 04-07-2022, 11:44 AM
Smile

Quote:
Just had a nauseating phone call with Tri County Landscaping where they said they don't give free estimates. They charge $115 for it!!!! Crazy crap. Am I the only one who was told this, or have others received stupid quotes to get an estimate. Can't stop shaking my head over this.
We have used Tri County for the past five years and have been happy with their service. Perhaps the initial estimate will be included in the payment if you sign up.
Old 04-07-2022, 11:46 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
Wow! How did you get that impression? I worked for a living. All I said was a "Reasonable" charge to cover time and expenses for coming to your home to answer your questions in the hopes that maybe, MAYBE, I might get a little work. Just for reference, I would think @ $50 would be reasonable, and if they get the job, roll the $50 into a credit towards the job.
Now, I do sincerely hope you find someone to do the job you want done. Good luck.
There seems to be both opinions that estimates should be free or a cost applied to future work. I'm happy to hear you think $50 would be more reasonable and thanks for your well wishing.
Old 04-07-2022, 11:49 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
Huh sorry, what’s the question?
"Am I the only one who was told this, or have others received stupid quotes to get an estimate."
Closed Thread

Tags
ohdear, $115, estimate, give, told

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.