Best Type of Palm Trees

Closed Thread
Old 03-16-2013, 12:54 PM
Veteran member
Default Best Type of Palm Trees

We just purchased a Designer Home in the Village of Fernandina and was seeking advice on adding a palm tree(s) to the existing landscape that was included with the home. We close on April 8....so there is time for receipt of serious responses.

Thanks for your input.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:04 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

First, I see this is your first post, so welcome to the forum.

I am by no means an expert here, but some observations. First, the "Best" palm trees is of course an opinion, so answers may vary. Personally I dislike the Queen palms. They are inexpensive so many landscapers put them in. They grow fast, so in a few years they are a constant maintenance cost to trim. Also, they have large seed pods that can fall.

The biggest mistake I commonly see when doing inspections is when they are planted too close to the house. The Palm branches then overhang and sometimes scrape against the siding and roof causing damage. Squirrels, rats, etc will climb up these and get onto your roof. Squirrels can damage your roof plumbing vents, etc. Keep all vegetation well away from your roof.

I think the best palms are those that are slow growing and do not get too tall. They should not be too messy, and be native to this area and of course be "cold hardy". I personally like a Pindo Palm.

Others wiser then I will of course advise you better as to their choices. You are smart to think about this BEFORE planting is done. Good luck and again, welcome!

Frank D'Angelo, ACI
Old 03-16-2013, 01:11 PM
Veteran member

Thank you........some interesting points to consider.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:30 PM
Default Palm Trees

Quote:
Originally Posted by AriaGrandparents2013 View Post
We just purchased a Designer Home in the Village of Fernandina and was seeking advice on adding a palm tree(s) to the existing landscape that was included with the home. We close on April 8....so there is time for receipt of serious responses.

Thanks for your input.
We close in May in Fernandina also and are wondering the same thing as far as palm trees. we are trying to make decisions about what kind of landscaping to add.
Where are you located in Fernandina? We are in section 206 Abana Path.
Exciting isn't it?
Old 03-16-2013, 01:41 PM
Gold member

Welcome to Fernandina!! We're on Brassie Terrace, section 215, we closed in January. You're going to love it!
Old 03-16-2013, 01:45 PM
Veteran member

We purchased on Lafayette St. in Section 206. We will close in April by mail and fly down in May to set- up the house (I.e. washer, dryer, dish ware, etc.). Will have to meet to welcome each other to The Villages......

Here in Massachusetts it's cold and cloudy............and anxious to experience that Florida weather.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:52 PM
Sage

Best kind of palm IMHO .... Sylvester.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:52 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AriaGrandparents2013 View Post
We purchased on Lafayette St. in Section 206. We will close in April by mail and fly down in May to set- up the house (I.e. washer, dryer, dish ware, etc.). Will have to meet to welcome each other to The Villages......

Here in Massachusetts it's cold and cloudy............and anxious to experience that Florida weather.
Where are you from in MA?? We came from Attleboro but I grew up in Somerville, husband in Quincy. There is a MA club and also a Southeast MA club. to join when you get here.
We put in 3 Queens for shade around a patio, 1 Sylvester and 1 Pindo. Village Palms did the work and they have a nice nursery on 466 that you can walk around and either pick out what you want or have them pick out what would look best. Thye will do a plan for you and show it to you on a big screen TV and they can pop in changes as you look at it. Very professional and honest people to work with.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:29 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynan View Post
Where are you from in MA?? We came from Attleboro but I grew up in Somerville, husband in Quincy. There is a MA club and also a Southeast MA club. to join when you get here.
We put in 3 Queens for shade around a patio, 1 Sylvester and 1 Pindo. Village Palms did the work and they have a nice nursery on 466 that you can walk around and either pick out what you want or have them pick out what would look best. Thye will do a plan for you and show it to you on a big screen TV and they can pop in changes as you look at it. Very professional and honest people to work with.
Grew up in New Bedford and currently living in Dartmouth, MA.

Will definitely stop by Village Palms and like the ability to view a plan............thanks this is helpful.

Will also look into MA club and SE Mass Club as well.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

I agree sylvester
Old 03-16-2013, 04:13 PM
Platinum member

a Sylvester and pindo are cold hearty and cold resistant. Another you should consider is the European Palm. There are many Palms and some are good for ground cover...other taller more picturesque, but whatever you choose make sure it is suitable for our climate. I knew someone who spent big bucks on exotic palms and he lost half of them during the big freeze we had three years ago. Think twice. Plant once!!!
Old 03-16-2013, 05:22 PM
Platinum member

There is a wealth of information online of you search 'cold hardy palms' or 'palms for central florida'. You'll see photos and can begin to decide what appeals to you. Plan on installing a tree when you will BE here for at least 30 days afterward. Newly transplanted palms must be trickle watered every day during that time.

I too have used Village Palms. They installed (among other things) a Sylvester, Chinese windmill palms and Chinese fan palms which are more of a clump/mound than a tree.

Can't say enough good things about Village Palms. They live in The Villages and have done lots of excellent landscaping and decorative features here. They have a nursery you can visit.

There are other good companies as well.... and some door to door guys to be wary of.
If you have the luxury of time, take your camera when you are out in the golf car. For inspiration,we went in and out of established neighborhoods and viewed what others had done. That was fun, a good way to learn the area and allowed us to see how big things get at maturity and how well they hold up over time.
The earlier post about location was right on. You don't want to plant them too close to the roof line.... bad for the house and your fronds will be abraded.

Have fun and let us know how you progress. Welcome to our wonderful Villages!
Old 03-16-2013, 05:45 PM

Hello neighbors . we are behind you on Bokeelia and will coming to stay in our home for the first time the first week of April. Hoping to meet our neighbors and start living the good life!

Jane Garrison
Old 03-16-2013, 07:12 PM
Veteran member

The best palms are the ones that are planted in someone else's yard! They are a constant, messy, expensive maintenance nightmares. They also attract all manner of bugs (including those huge cockroaches) and rodents.

I have lived in Florida for 52 years and I will never, ever have a Palm in my yard.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:51 PM
Sage

Well I disagree, Florida is palms.

As far as types that will do well in this area with possible temps in the mid upper 20's there R at least 24 on my punch list, I have half of those,

I do think they are grossly overpriced around here.

I found several dealers that are 40-70% less in price.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.