HOA restrictions regarding landscaping

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-02-2015, 08:48 PM
Wavy Chips's Avatar
Wavy Chips Wavy Chips is offline
Member
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Village of Del Boca Vista
Posts: 97
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default HOA restrictions regarding landscaping

We recently purchased a designer home on an interior lot. We have about 15' of back yard before our property line. Can we landscape right up to the property line or are there set back rules we need to be aware of? If so, where can we find the rules? We live in Charlotte, if that makes any difference. Thanks for the help.
  #2  
Old 03-02-2015, 08:53 PM
tommy steam tommy steam is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New York, Georgia , Arizona, Vietnam 66 67
Posts: 1,367
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

I was told by the ARC that I had to be 2 ft off my property line to install any plants, or bushes. ARC will advise you.
  #3  
Old 03-02-2015, 09:33 PM
fred53 fred53 is offline
Gold member
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,035
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Villages Community Development District ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavy Chips View Post
We recently purchased a designer home on an interior lot. We have about 15' of back yard before our property line. Can we landscape right up to the property line or are there set back rules we need to be aware of? If so, where can we find the rules? We live in Charlotte, if that makes any difference. Thanks for the help.
has all the setback rules...fyi the setback behind most homes is 7.5 feet from the rear property line... nothing(you read correctly)is allowed...whoever quoted 2 feet hasn't checked...we just checked last week...my wife went and spoke person to person with the VCDD inspector...he said there are always a lot of unhappy people who have to things removed(plants, patios, additions)and at their own expense...pass any changes through the VCDD first...common sense applies
  #4  
Old 03-03-2015, 09:12 AM
TrudyM's Avatar
TrudyM TrudyM is offline
Gold member
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii
Posts: 1,089
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 1 Post
Default

Double check with the actual powers that be. A set back usually refers to a fixed structure not plants. I was told the same two feet in Tamarind grove quote "Plants should be placed such that their growth will not extend into others property usually at least two feet." I was also admonished that a lot of power cables and sewer lines run along the back and to make sure I didn't hit them when digging.
__________________
My opinion is worth what it costs that and $3.75 will get you a cup of coffee
  #5  
Old 03-03-2015, 09:52 AM
mulligan mulligan is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,919
Thanks: 15
Thanked 239 Times in 114 Posts
Default

Hopefully, whoever is going to do any planting along a rear property line will call dig safe before you stick a shovel in the ground. The power lines are buried there, and they are NOT in conduit. Also, keep in mind that if access is needed in the easement, the contractor can remove any plants or trees that are in their way, and they have no obligation to restore them.
__________________
........American by birth....Union by choice
  #6  
Old 03-03-2015, 09:56 AM
Ozzello Ozzello is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 309
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default

The setback is for structure attached to the home. On your site plan it should be represented by a dotted line (Lake and Sumter, recent builds)
This pertains to additions, screen rooms, Pergolas attached to your home etc. The ARC is a little vague on the sitting walls and I have seen similar submittals both approved and denied. Paver patios, sitting walls and stack wall do not fall in this category.
I have also seen denied hardscape submittals built anyway, have complaints registered and the ARC say "it's their house, they can do what they want to".

According to the County and State rules, you can plant as you wish on your property. Any growth that goes over the property line is considered the neighbor's property and they can trim it (up to the property line) or enjoy it, as they wish. I have never heard first hand from the ARC any deviation from this, only 2nd and 3rd hand rumors.

Most of the homes in TV have drainage areas between and behind the homes. I always take these into account and typically keep 1 -2 feet of lawn in the back for drainage. Lately the ARC has caught on and I hear about landscape submittals being denied when landscape beds are shown all the way to the property line.

The ARC in the last 2 years also seems to deny concrete curb and stack wall too close to the property line. 1-3 feet depending on your area. Though I still see neighbors working together and curbing installed on beds that go around utility boxes, continuous through 2 and even 4 different lots.

In over 20 years, I have seen less than a handful of neighbors that were not glad the other neighbor planted between the houses, and many work together even sharing costs. 100s of times I have heard people in TV say.. "I was hoping my neighbor was going to plant something there first.."

In the end, the ARC responds to complaints, and I have heard of them 'forcing' people to do things, BUT, have yet to hear of any actual legal actions taken. There are people out there leaving contractor signs in their yard for over a year even though once a month the ARC shows up demanding they remove them, so I am still unsure as to how much actual 'force' is ever applied.
  #7  
Old 03-03-2015, 10:29 AM
Bogie Shooter Bogie Shooter is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 15,268
Thanks: 3
Thanked 1,954 Times in 913 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzello View Post
The setback is for structure attached to the home. On your site plan it should be represented by a dotted line (Lake and Sumter, recent builds)
This pertains to additions, screen rooms, Pergolas attached to your home etc. The ARC is a little vague on the sitting walls and I have seen similar submittals both approved and denied. Paver patios, sitting walls and stack wall do not fall in this category.
I have also seen denied hardscape submittals built anyway, have complaints registered and the ARC say "it's their house, they can do what they want to".

According to the County and State rules, you can plant as you wish on your property. Any growth that goes over the property line is considered the neighbor's property and they can trim it (up to the property line) or enjoy it, as they wish. I have never heard first hand from the ARC any deviation from this, only 2nd and 3rd hand rumors.

Most of the homes in TV have drainage areas between and behind the homes. I always take these into account and typically keep 1 -2 feet of lawn in the back for drainage. Lately the ARC has caught on and I hear about landscape submittals being denied when landscape beds are shown all the way to the property line.

The ARC in the last 2 years also seems to deny concrete curb and stack wall too close to the property line. 1-3 feet depending on your area. Though I still see neighbors working together and curbing installed on beds that go around utility boxes, continuous through 2 and even 4 different lots.

In over 20 years, I have seen less than a handful of neighbors that were not glad the other neighbor planted between the houses, and many work together even sharing costs. 100s of times I have heard people in TV say.. "I was hoping my neighbor was going to plant something there first.."

In the end, the ARC responds to complaints, and I have heard of them 'forcing' people to do things, BUT, have yet to hear of any actual legal actions taken. There are people out there leaving contractor signs in their yard for over a year even though once a month the ARC shows up demanding they remove them, so I am still unsure as to how much actual 'force' is ever applied.
The ARC does not respond to complaints, deed compliance does.
The ARC would not "show up", if anyone would it would be deed compliance.
'Architectural Review ensures every home modification is constructed of appropriate materials and built to complement the natural and man-made surroundings. The Architectural Review process is purely administrative in nature."
VCDD Community Standards
__________________
The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it. George Orwell.
“Only truth and transparency can guarantee freedom”, John McCain
  #8  
Old 03-03-2015, 10:32 AM
Bogie Shooter Bogie Shooter is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 15,268
Thanks: 3
Thanked 1,954 Times in 913 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavy Chips View Post
We recently purchased a designer home on an interior lot. We have about 15' of back yard before our property line. Can we landscape right up to the property line or are there set back rules we need to be aware of? If so, where can we find the rules? We live in Charlotte, if that makes any difference. Thanks for the help.
Your title reads HOA restrictions.................
There are no HOA restrictions, there are deed restrictions. You can download yours here.
VCDD Deed Compliance - Lake County
__________________
The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it. George Orwell.
“Only truth and transparency can guarantee freedom”, John McCain
  #9  
Old 03-03-2015, 10:56 AM
Challenger's Avatar
Challenger Challenger is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,189
Thanks: 48
Thanked 314 Times in 133 Posts
Default

Why would anyone ever want to read the "deed" restrictions?

Just to get correct info?

When all else fails- read the directions!!
__________________
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" Edmund Burke 1729-1797
  #10  
Old 03-03-2015, 11:40 AM
wdonze wdonze is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Hillsborough
Posts: 106
Thanks: 2
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Here's a link to the deed restrictions for Charlotte, a part of district 9:

http://www.districtgov.org/departmen...ict9_Rules.pdf
  #11  
Old 03-03-2015, 03:20 PM
applesoffh applesoffh is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 609
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Your title reads HOA restrictions.................
There are no HOA restrictions, there are deed restrictions. You can download yours here.
VCDD Deed Compliance - Lake County
I believe the OP stated that they lived in the Village of Charlotte, which is Sumter County. Compliance may be different.
  #12  
Old 03-03-2015, 03:23 PM
Bogie Shooter Bogie Shooter is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 15,268
Thanks: 3
Thanked 1,954 Times in 913 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by applesoffh View Post
I believe the OP stated that they lived in the Village of Charlotte, which is Sumter County. Compliance may be different.
Deed restrictions may be different, but compliance is the same.
__________________
The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it. George Orwell.
“Only truth and transparency can guarantee freedom”, John McCain
  #13  
Old 03-04-2015, 10:12 AM
Wavy Chips's Avatar
Wavy Chips Wavy Chips is offline
Member
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Village of Del Boca Vista
Posts: 97
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Thank you for all of the feedback and links. Looks like we have a lot to consider before we proceed.

Another question - can anyone recommend any native plants that are good for blocking view and are also hearty/low maintenance/flowering? Thanks
  #14  
Old 03-04-2015, 01:55 PM
TrudyM's Avatar
TrudyM TrudyM is offline
Gold member
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii
Posts: 1,089
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavy Chips View Post
Thank you for all of the feedback and links. Looks like we have a lot to consider before we proceed.

Another question - can anyone recommend any native plants that are good for blocking view and are also hearty/low maintenance/flowering? Thanks
From this months Villages Magazine it says there are garden info that might help as follows:

March 17 Florida Friendly Landscaping for new Residents 9-11am Colony cottage rec.

March 26 Florida Friendly Landscape Series Landscape CSI 1-2 Villages Public Library at Belvedere.

March5 is a Master Gardener Plant Questions Forum 1-3 at Bradenton Rec

I thought I might go to some of these for general info. There were also some on grass but I am not interested in that and don't remember the times.
__________________
My opinion is worth what it costs that and $3.75 will get you a cup of coffee
  #15  
Old 03-13-2015, 09:12 AM
MnGirl MnGirl is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 146
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default HOA restrictions regarding landscaping

There are more than one set of rules, you should know, there are 2 ARC committees. One ARC is in charge of regulations for the homes in The Villages, and the other is in charge for those home that are still under the developer. If you are under the developer and your retaining wall is too high or you have gone into the easement most of the time it's just forgiven, you see strict rules have not really been established. Also, just because ARC denies you for a landscape install, you may just need to reconfigure it. The 2 NEW rules for villas are: 1. If you have grass in your front yard, that area must remain grass. 2. No more stack walls are allowed in the front yard either. Sooooo who is really playing by these rules??
Closed Thread
Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:30 AM.