Lawn Looks Terrible - Help Needed!!

Old 11-12-2023, 05:59 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,142 Times in 883 Posts

I have a patch of dead grass that I would like to replace. Is there a store that sells pieces of sod at this time of year?
Old 11-12-2023, 06:03 AM
Default lawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm55 View Post
Hi all. The front lawn consisting of St Augustine grass at our villa looks terrible and also has weeds. We water regularly and pay for treatment every other month from a company called zoysia green (obviously not happy with their service)….

In short, I am considering having all grass torn out, fresh soil added and then either seed or sod put down. I would be interested in hearing any and all suggestions from those who have done the same or similar. Also interested to learn if there is a particular time of year that is suggested for best results.

Any recommendations for trustworthy landscapers to do this job will also be appreciated. I love the Villages and want to make my lawn look great and think I need to start my lawn over! Thx in advance
try a seriois de thatching then apply the weed and feed,after a heavy rain apply it again..good luck,it will be awhile.
Old 11-12-2023, 06:45 AM

After you get it fixed, we use Lawn Care & Pest Control in Orlando | Evergreen Lawn & Pest and are extremely pleased. Our yard looks fantastic compared to neighbors who are paying other companies. The same guy treats ours every month.
Old 11-12-2023, 06:57 AM

Sincere thanks to all for your responses. This will be a process obviously and all info provided on this thread has been helpful!
Old 11-12-2023, 06:58 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,045 Times in 536 Posts
Default Not St Augustine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchad View Post
The product you provided the link to say it will also kill all grass. How do you spray for weeds in the St Augustine grass without killing the St Augustine?
Scott’s pro vista St. Augustine isn’t harmed by the spray. If you aren’t sure if this is your type of grass, contact The Villages before spraying. It is widely used in South Florida. Many sod farms grow this type of grass.

Here is a link to better assist you
https://www.lawnsite.com/threads/wha....485154/page-2

“ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning
Old 11-12-2023, 07:09 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,045 Times in 536 Posts
Default Type

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
I have a patch of dead grass that I would like to replace. Is there a store that sells pieces of sod at this time of year?
What type? I know St. Augustine is available right now at Lowe’s in Wildwood. Also know your culprit that killed your grass. Was it grubs, chinch bugs, a female dog, softener salt, another dog on medication etc. It is important to clear some soil underneath the spot you plug.

“ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning
Old 11-12-2023, 07:16 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,204 Times in 465 Posts

Technically you can replace grass with ground cover. Florida law states you can replace sod with ground cover, whether it must be a native ground cover or not, is open to question. Asiatic jasmine, used throughout the villages is not native, sunshine mimosa is. Asiatic jasmine maintains a dense green look throughout the year, whereas mimosa seems to go a little brown. Only a hand full of people have ever pulled this off and villas would lend themselves to this better than larger lots. The villages did pass an ordinance or statute that requires the ground cover to cover all the bare spots within a year. The villages may say it is Florida friendly but it not and expect it would come down on you so you should check with arc before beginning. You might want to begin with maintaining the grass and enlarging the ground cover area a little at a time. Resodding would be my last resort as it is very expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
Lowes sells both plugs and squares that are 24” x 16”.
Veteran member

Kevin, I wouldn't seed. I tried seeding bare spots in my lawn ( zoysia) two times in two years in the spring. Very expensive seed. 5 pounds is about $48 depending where you go and doesn't cover a whole lot. Better go with sod.
Old 11-12-2023, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Hi all. The front lawn consisting of St Augustine grass at our villa looks terrible and also has weeds. We water regularly and pay for treatment every other month from a company called zoysia green (obviously not happy with their service)….

In short, I am considering having all grass torn out, fresh soil added and then either seed or sod put down. I would be interested in hearing any and all suggestions from those who have done the same or similar. Also interested to learn if there is a particular time of year that is suggested for best results.

Any recommendations for trustworthy landscapers to do this job will also be appreciated. I love the Villages and want to make my lawn look great and think I need to start my lawn over! Thx in advance
GRUBS... stores will tell you not to worry in the Fall about them. Wrong. I just replaced (bought St Augustine from Lowes) about a 6 x 4 area and found about 20 of them. I use grub specific granules. Sunniland Weed and Feed for St Augustine works great. I put it down quarterly. Dollar weeds mean too much water. I use fungicide for too much water and fungus. I use insect control as well as needed.

Massey was doing a terrible job and almost killed my yard. I became a diy-er.
Old 11-12-2023, 07:21 AM

Quote:

Agreed, it all looks terrible. My husband digs out the dead spots, treats for fungus and then replaces the spots with Zoysia pieces. The Zoysia will eventually take over. Some of the landscapes say it’s not a fungus, but that’s BS. Everyone seems to be suffering from it. It’s a lot of work for him, but it looks good and if you can do it, it’s cheaper this way.
Old 11-12-2023, 07:48 AM

We had chinch bugs which caused brown areas. Has been sprayed by Deans but damage is done. I doubt our grass will recover. We will probably re-sod in the spring if grass does not recover. Hope this helps.
Old 11-12-2023, 07:57 AM

If you live in a courtyard Villa and a district that permit, get rid of it all. Rock landscaping is best. Get ARC approval and you’ll never regret it.
Old 11-12-2023, 08:01 AM

Chinch bugs are ruining St Augustine grass really fast this year. At first it looks like a patch of area is not getting enough water. It’s a wilted looking. Then if you don’t treat it with insecticide it will be dead within two weeks. Go Lowe’s and buy a bag of Triazicide and spread it according to directions. It’s a granular. Then water the heck out of your grass. You’ll want to to it now to get a jump on them in the spring. I had to water 10 minutes every morning plus the two days a week of deep watering of 45 minutes each. My grass is thick and lush but I jumped on it fast when any area started looking bad. St Augustine seems to require more water than the normal TV standards to keep it looking lush.

Last edited by Ptmcbriz; 11-12-2023 at 08:11 AM.
Old 11-12-2023, 08:05 AM
Default Lawn Problem

We also live in a Villa. Since we started using GreenSmiths, we have no insectsand our grass, same as yours, looks great.

Quote:

Tags
lawn, interested, terrible, grass, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.